Current Software Build v10.1 2019.36.2.1 ea322ad (11/7/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed 2019.36.2.1?

• Total voters

airbusav8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla engineering uses a combination of yearly releases (similar to Amazon) combined with semantic versioning.

V10 2019.10.0.36.2.1= Release 2019.10

Semantic versioning goes

Major.Minor.Patch

Major 36
Minor 2
Patch 1 ea322ad

That 6 character ea322ad may seem cryptic; that is the head of the git revision tree (the last code commit of the release) so the engineers, QA, etc... know what patch you have to the commit, they can also immediately revert to this, etc... Think of every Tesla like a server, they are distributed, and you need to update your website. This process is the exact same, simply because, the MCU is basically a web service handling a series of events.

When you see minor bumps go from .1 to .2 immediately, internally they most likely ran up to 30+ releases, remember their QA has Tesla simulators running these releases for days automated, and the testing teams are using these releases on their track months in advance prior to you knowing this is happening, that is why there is so many numbers in the release, and they may seem confusing.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla engineering uses a combination of yearly releases (similar to Amazon) combined with semantic versioning.

Semantic versioning goes

Major.Minor.Patch

Major 36
Minor 2
Patch 1 ea322ad

That 6 character ea322ad may seem cryptic; that is the head of the git revision tree (the last code commit of the release) so the engineers, QA, etc... know what patch you have to the commit, they can also immediately revert to this, etc... Think of every Tesla like a server, they are distributed, and you need to update your website. This process is the exact same, simply because, the MCU is basically a web service handling a series of events.

When you see minor bumps go from .1 to .2 immediately, internally they most likely ran up to 30+ releases, remember their QA has Tesla simulators running these releases for days automated, and the testing teams are using these releases on their track months in advance prior to you knowing this is happening, that is why there is so many numbers in the release, and they may seem confusing.
They don't SEEM confusing, they ARE confusing. But thanks for helping to make them a bit LESS confusing!:)

airbusav8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haha yeah organizations generally do not speak of their infrastructure or deployment process for security reasons. There is more to the picture but at a base level.

It is a major version 10, sometimes referred to as Master, GA (General Availability) etc..

The 36.2.1 is the actual release under the version “bucket.”
So why do all of this confusing stuff? Well technically a majority of the software being debated, and complained about, is Beta software which means it can be pulled, changed, altered, break API’s or downright modified without your knowing, that’s why you were asked to click yes on almost everything. So with all of theses beta branches, and AB testing (they push different code to different cars, use machine learning to quantify the results into actionable metrics to create new tickets for teams sprint 1-2 weeks of committed work) they need a proper way to track on a large scale what is working and what is regressing. The windshield wipers is an example of regression, and regression testing. They intentionally tried multiple solutions waiting for feedback to determine the mathematical true North Star, versus trying to determine signal to noise ratios from their customer support lines. I gave the tech nonsense without explaining the why earlier and for that I apologize. I’ve heard rumors engineers and product managers of all levels frequent forums to cry at night hoping everyone is happy too ;)

airbusav8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I were explaining to my father...

“Dad, that neural net you kept receiving emails about... That is an internet, that is just Tesla cars talking to each other, much like you log into a network at work. It ‘learns’ by taking large amounts of data and determining the winner based on pre-defined bands written in programming languages made for this, they are called Python and R. You continue to get these weird version numbers, at an interval you can’t understand because they are based on when the team is done with the new feature or bug, have done peer code review (co-workers read your code, made suggestions, edits, tested it on their machines), than passed your teams QA, than passed integration testing to make sure everything works together such as the button to open Netflix, and Netflix audio coming through infotainment, than it gets stamped with a release and the last commit (those weird letters) so the analytics servers know exactly what your car did, with what software, and what you did to modify the intended actions.”

Joaquin

Country
Country
Can I ask the moderators why suddenly I'm no longer the author of this thread?

And no, there was not any other thread with the same firmware version when I created it... not that I care, just wondering if I did something wrong... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I were explaining to my father...

“Dad, that neural net you kept receiving emails about... That is an internet, that is just Tesla cars talking to each other, much like you log into a network at work. It ‘learns’ by taking large amounts of data and determining the winner based on pre-defined bands written in programming languages made for this, they are called Python and R. You continue to get these weird version numbers, at an interval you can’t understand because they are based on when the team is done with the new feature or bug, have done peer code review (co-workers read your code, made suggestions, edits, tested it on their machines), than passed your teams QA, than passed integration testing to make sure everything works together such as the button to open Netflix, and Netflix audio coming through infotainment, than it gets stamped with a release and the last commit (those weird letters) so the analytics servers know exactly what your car did, with what software, and what you did to modify the intended actions.”
And what my father would hear:
”Dad, ... you kept receiving emails... that is just Tesla cars talking to each other... It ‘learns’ by taking large amounts of data and determining the winner... you can’t understand... they... know exactly what your car did... and what you did....”

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haha yeah organizations generally do not speak of their infrastructure or deployment process for security reasons. There is more to the picture but at a base level.

It is a major version 10, sometimes referred to as Master, GA (General Availability) etc..

The 36.2.1 is the actual release under the version “bucket.”
So why do all of this confusing stuff? Well technically a majority of the software being debated, and complained about, is Beta software which means it can be pulled, changed, altered, break API’s or downright modified without your knowing, that’s why you were asked to click yes on almost everything. So with all of theses beta branches, and AB testing (they push different code to different cars, use machine learning to quantify the results into actionable metrics to create new tickets for teams sprint 1-2 weeks of committed work) they need a proper way to track on a large scale what is working and what is regressing. The windshield wipers is an example of regression, and regression testing. They intentionally tried multiple solutions waiting for feedback to determine the mathematical true North Star, versus trying to determine signal to noise ratios from their customer support lines. I gave the tech nonsense without explaining the why earlier and for that I apologize. I’ve heard rumors engineers and product managers of all levels frequent forums to cry at night hoping everyone is happy too ;)
Wonder how they deal with the authorities, isn't there a core that can't be messed with since it's been certified? Reading on 36.1, one could wonder.

sduck

Country
Country

Semantic versioning goes

Major.Minor.Patch

Major 36
Minor 2
Patch 1 ea322ad

Yea yea yea, I get all that. And the part about following Tesla's lead. Perhaps I should clarify - do we really need to add the .0? For all practical purposes there has never been vX.Y version where Y is anything other than 0. It just seems a bit... pretentious.

airbusav8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regalutory and compliance is pretty easy going all the way up until you hit DOD4 or HIPA+DOD, etc... Compliance and regulatory divisions most likely are working with the NTSB, CA, twenty other red-tape branches a year in advance when applying for patents and/or during the longer quarterly goals (epics). Basically everything we see has been planned for potentially 2+ years depending on what it is. The infotainment system most likely received more pushback than summons in 2019 as they most likely had to deal with what we will see in 2020 back in Q1 of 2018.

Yes, there are multiple redundant systems, the drivetrain, isolated steering bus, battery are all independent and those systems would require a series of approvals, and testing, thus they are most likely handled with a proof of concept well before those features hit any teams backlog.

airbusav8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can tell your dad thanks to GDPR, the cars locations are not correlated with him, they are put into a bucket with thousands of other vehicles.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

And no, there was not any other thread with the same firmware version when I created it... not that I care, just wondering if I did something wrong... 🤷🏻‍♂️
You were too slow by 14 minutes.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The post that is now the first post of this thread was originally a reply in a different software version thread.
I moved it to this thread, and because it was actually posted 14 minutes earlier than yours, it is now the first post.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yea yea yea, I get all that. And the part about following Tesla's lead. Perhaps I should clarify - do we really need to add the .0? For all practical purposes there has never been vX.Y version where Y is anything other than 0. It just seems a bit... pretentious.
Sounds safe for now, but we’ve heard mention of a potential 10.1 (and if they go the Apple route, there will be plenty more).

ENW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Installed in one Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor, according to teslafi.
I’ve just installed it now. Anyone know what it does? I saw a human ( icon? Animation?)on my screen today but that was before the update.... I’m going to drive and see what’s changed.