Question Soapy water in edge of tail lights

KBiello

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Hello! So I’m a new Tesla owner...yay! And I just washed my car today after days of gross rain. I noticed the tail lights had soapy water in the bottom edge. After a couple of hours there seemed to still be some condensation. There’s nothing in the actual light fixture, just the lower rim. Is this normal? I’m getting conflicting info on whether or not I should have them looked at / replaced. TIA- K

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's rather common on Teslas. If it doesn't go away after a few days setup a service appointment to see if they will replace it. It's kind of hit or miss if they will. Don't be surprised if they respond that it's "within spec".

KBiello

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It's rather common on Teslas. If it doesn't go away after a few days setup a service appointment to see if they will replace it. It's kind of hit or miss if they will. Don't be surprised if they respond that it's "within spec".
That’s part of what I was getting looking online. Ugg. It doesn’t do it when it rains which is good, just seems to be with direct water from washing it. Thanks!🙌

Reactions: 1 person

GeoJohn23

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That’s part of what I was getting looking online. Ugg. It doesn’t do it when it rains which is good, just seems to be with direct water from washing it. Thanks!🙌

Maybe switch to something like optimum no rinse (Amazon product) and then you won’t have any direct water to get in there. Check other threads here on TOO to find videos of how to do a no-rinse wash. Works great.

Reactions: 1 person

Dmb5450

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe switch to something like optimum no rinse (Amazon product) and then you won’t have any direct water to get in there. Check other threads here on TOO to find videos of how to do a no-rinse wash. Works great.

That is a great solution to the OP’s problem. Just remember:

Waterless wash = Very light dust/dirt coverage.

Rinseless wash = Moderate dust/dirt coverage

Traditional 2 bucket wash = Really dirty car. (we all have different ideas of what really dirty means lol)

Using the wrong type of washing technique along with improper washing/drying tools will cause scratches and other damage to your car that are far worse that remaining soap by the lights.

KBiello

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
That is a great solution to the OP’s problem. Just remember:

Waterless wash = Very light dust/dirt coverage.

Rinseless wash = Moderate dust/dirt coverage

Traditional 2 bucket wash = Really dirty car. (we all have different ideas of what really dirty means lol)

Using the wrong type of washing technique along with improper washing/drying tools will cause scratches and other damage to your car that are far worse that remaining soap by the lights.
Thanks! I read about waterless wash... interesting. I have all new washing equipment for this car so it doesn’t scratch. My husband is particular about that anyway. We live in the south so the red clay dirt is tough to get off without a good washing.