So much for cheaper to maintain... $140 for my first tire rotation!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...and he was never hear from again. :(

/Roll credits to somber music

;)
So mobile service was here and I asked him about the tire rotates. He said that is not something they do as a matter of course.
There might be a reason he would do it as a courtesy but he wouldn’t just do it if you asked and he led me to believe they would not send him out to do that.
Of course in your area that may be different.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's interesting - and I guess unexpected they would have such different policies by location. Here (Ca Bay Area) I got the sense they really prefer you not come in and mobile is a big deal (and growing the tech told me)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's interesting - and I guess unexpected they would have such different policies by location. Here (Ca Bay Area) I got the sense they really prefer you not come in and mobile is a big deal (and growing the tech told me)
Well I cant believe that that would be something that will last very long. Having guys just come out and do free rotates with so many Model 3 on the road (especially the Bay Area) would not be sustainable for any company let alone one trying to make its first profit.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My take on that is

1) they have mentioned to me a number of times they are trying to prevent service calls at centers so they seem to want to come to you
2) I've seen zero doc on what kind if any maintenance plan comes with these cars - is this related and it won't go forever just based on that
3) no argument but not going to look a good service in the mouth
4) i don't know where the biggest concentration of Tesla's are, 3 or other - but there sure seems to be a huge load of them out these parts..

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I cant believe that that would be something that will last very long. Having guys just come out and do free rotates with so many Model 3 on the road (especially the Bay Area) would not be sustainable for any company let alone one trying to make its first profit.
I would agree with that and have to also admit I don’t know how the Rangers are supportable in general. The model may be nice for us as customers but how much money is being spent/wasted on a fairly expensive mechanic out on the road and sitting in traffic. I don’t see this lasting very long. Or I’ll go against the feelings of some and just say it shouldn’t last long due to overhead and costs, but maybe some benefit outweighs the cost.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if a mobile van fleet is not significantly cheaper than costs for a whole facility - if they could somehow never have actual service centers at all, I could see that math working out.. big if...

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Th
I wonder if a mobile van fleet is not significantly cheaper than costs for a whole facility - if they could somehow never have actual service centers at all, I could see that math working out.. big if...
The interesting part about that “van fleet” is that some of them drive modified S’s with slide out tool boxes in back. Had not thought about the offset of having more physical facilities so that could be a big deal, but still a lot of wasted man time with a mechanic driving between locations.

He Chen

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I got my tires rotated for free. However, they were replacing my windshield for ~$900 and I asked if they could also rotate my tires and install the wheel locks I bought. I didn't explicitly ask them to do it for free but the fact they were charging me a thousand bucks already they might have just decided to throw in the tire rotation for free.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
They called to tell me my tire rotation would be free for the first rotation and I was misquoted the price and it is $87.50 for each subsequent rotation.
Maybe the first quote included balancing the wheels also? I will do my own tire rotations unless I detect the need for a rebalance.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got my tires rotated for free. However, they were replacing my windshield for ~$900 and I asked if they could also rotate my tires and install the wheel locks I bought. I didn't explicitly ask them to do it for free but the fact they were charging me a thousand bucks already they might have just decided to throw in the tire rotation for free.
I think this is exactly what the mobile tech was talking about. A courtesy :eek:

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, I was looking at these. They seem pretty nice and a set of 4 for $75 ($21 for 1, $40 for 2). Other colors available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Billet-...224350?hash=item3fa716bade:g:QygAAOSwyglbY8FS
Those sure look nice and the price is reasonable for billet aluminum. An alternative approach is to make them yourself using hockey pucks and grommets, held together with a screw -- cost drops to about $10 for a set of four... (Lots of posts on that on various TOO forums.)

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So now that I've been driving I've noticed that my steering wheel is like 10 degrees off from what looks like center. Never had any car do this before. Wondering if it had something to do with the tire rotation I had done. Really only noticed it over the last couple of days (but I had my tires rotated like 1000 miles ago now).

Guessing it's time to make that first service call. Unless anyone else has any other ideas for me.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So now that I've been driving I've noticed that my steering wheel is like 10 degrees off from what looks like center. Never had any car do this before. Wondering if it had something to do with the tire rotation I had done. Really only noticed it over the last couple of days (but I had my tires rotated like 1000 miles ago now).

Guessing it's time to make that first service call. Unless anyone else has any other ideas for me.
Drink a V8?

/endofoldguyjoke

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Anyone else drive the car that coulda hit a curb? :rolleyes: