So much for cheaper to maintain... $140 for my first tire rotation!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Having to carry around these jack pads just seems like a pain in the xxx to me. You will always have to explain it to the tire shop, and more likely than not the guy doing the work will not get the message or forget to use them, and/or loose them in the shop. Just seems like some sort of low profile pad at the jack points should have been built into the vehicle. Are there any after market pads that can be installed and just left on the jack points?
Well I always use the same shop since one price is lifetime rotate and balance and road hazard Warrenty. With a case I know I won’t be missing any when I leave and I always make an appt and wait so it won’t be there without me. And being type A, I won’t be leaving without them.

I guess you could make something to fit in there and stay but it may get ripped off by low curbs or somehow fall off.

For me I am gonna take the UMC outta the trunk so I figure it will be a net lose of weight.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I always use the same shop since one price is lifetime rotate and balance and road hazard Warrenty. With a case I know I won’t be missing any when I leave and I always make an appt and wait so it won’t be there without me. And being type A, I won’t be leaving without them.

I guess you could make something to fit in there and stay but it may get ripped off by low curbs or somehow fall off.

For me I am gonna take the UMC outta the trunk so I figure it will be a net lose of weight.
I use the same shop as well, for the same reasons. However, there are always new guys coming and going, so unless I stand there and watch them insert the pads I won’t be assured that they get used. I am hoping that someone comes up with a low profile, permanently attached plate or pad.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I use the same shop as well, for the same reasons. However, there are always new guys coming and going, so unless I stand there and watch them insert the pads I won’t be assured that they get used. I am hoping that someone comes up with a low profile, permanently attached plate or pad.
Now I am worried about that :eek:
Great. Thanks. :(
No really.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well - will have to remember the first one is free. Figure we all might get different stories on that since Tesla has done a pretty poor job of documenting the standard services and charges for the 3. I’m not one to ever have those done on any traditional ICE vehicles. I don’t want any issues with this one though so would consider it if it has to do with maintaining the drive system and or battery.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wanted to update this thread that I just got a call from Tesla out of the blue. They called to tell me my tire rotation would be free for the first rotation and I was misquoted the price and it is $87.50 for each subsequent rotation. Maybe they saw my forum post? :)
MAN! I will have to make my first FREE rotation at 12k miles then!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can rotate my tires myself, got the little plastic jack pads that fit into the jack-point post positions but when I found out that having mobile service come to my house to do it would be free... well I did that of course
Wait. What do you mean? You called mobile service for a tire rotate? And they said free?

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Everyone only wants free stuff from Tesla but when its time to spend money they bypass them. Just an FYI as a motorcycle dealer, this puts a tremendous strain on the Service Centers. You'll be sorry when their gone and support is sparse. I see this on a daily basis, customer tries to save 50-100 dollars and either does the service himself or takes it to some third party shop. Customer has either more problems than when he started or the work was sub par and brings it in to us to make it right. Yes we are more expensive but we also spend all kinds of money on training our techs for the OEM we sell. You get what you pay for. I for one will support Tesla 100% as I want this company to succeed and also want more support for these cars. I only wish I had a Service center less than 3 hours away.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Where did this rant come from?

We're talking about a tire rotation. It ain't rocket science, and isn't worth $140.

I wasn't trying to come off as ranting, I was trying to giving an insider perspective to those of you that are not in the dealership business and are consumers. I get that you guys are talking about tire rotations and yes i agree that Tesla charges too much for that service but I just wanted to make a point that when you get in the mind set of going around them for all the little things and only bring your car in to them for warranties it hurts the Service Centers and Tesla big time. Warranties are the kiss of death for any OEM with out a return on regular services. That's all I was saying.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Everyone only wants free stuff from Tesla but when its time to spend money they bypass them. Just an FYI as a motorcycle dealer, this puts a tremendous strain on the Service Centers. You'll be sorry when their gone and support is sparse. I see this on a daily basis, customer tries to save 50-100 dollars and either does the service himself or takes it to some third party shop. Customer has either more problems than when he started or the work was sub par and brings it in to us to make it right. Yes we are more expensive but we also spend all kinds of money on training our techs for the OEM we sell. You get what you pay for. I for one will support Tesla 100% as I want this company to succeed and also want more support for these cars. I only wish I had a Service center less than 3 hours away.
I do get what you are saying. That is one of the reasons I was happy enough to pay $32 for the garnish for my trunk and didn’t ask for it for free. I have an earlier vin and it wasn’t there so that is fine with me. But if you are religious with Tire rotates as I am, you can’t beat the Discount Tire price with road hazard included.

But also, we all must also watch out for ourselves as families. So i am more than willing to support Tesla, I also can’t overpay for services. Not that there is much for them to do. Plus they are the only ones that will be doing the coolant changes etc, so they will have allot of services paid at full price.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...only bring your car in to them for warranties it hurts the Service Centers and Tesla big time.
Elon is already on record as saying that he does not want the service centers to become profit centers. That's the reason why most of us are not expecting to pay the type of premium prices for service that we do at dealerships.

Besides, I've *way* overpaid for both my car and several shares of Tesla. I think I deserve a bunch of free oil changes and a full tank when I pick up my car. ;)

Last edited:

Benjamin Reed

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I had actually scheduled a regular service in the service center for my rotation; they called me and offered to do it mobile instead. If they need to ramp up mobile service to handle people that are too far from the service center anyways now that there are a lot more Tesla cars on the road, I'm betting they volunteered it to keep the load off the main service center.

TheTony

It happened.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wasn't trying to come off as ranting, I was trying to giving an insider perspective to those of you that are not in the dealership business and are consumers. I get that you guys are talking about tire rotations and yes i agree that Tesla charges too much for that service but I just wanted to make a point that when you get in the mind set of going around them for all the little things and only bring your car in to them for warranties it hurts the Service Centers and Tesla big time. Warranties are the kiss of death for any OEM with out a return on regular services. That's all I was saying.
To be fair, Tesla doesn't operate under the dealership model. In their case, as long as the service centers are covering their costs of operation, and quality isn't leading to them taking a loss on parts under warranty, they've met their goal. They have to worry less about parts and service generating profit, since there is no local ownership in place expecting a margin to generate their revenue.

I'm not saying the financials are of no consequence, just that their goals are slightly different because of the way they operate.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes and I was told it's always free. (not having had the car years though, always might have multiple meanings)

I asked many times to confirm, always the same answer

View attachment 13805
Ok. well the Mobile Service is coming Friday to look at the BT issues :rolleyes:, replace a taillight that gets water in it and check why sometimes the car doesn't lock or shut down when I walk away. I will be asking him about this!