So much for cheaper to maintain... $140 for my first tire rotation!

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So I just got off the phone to schedule my first tire rotation on Helga. I called up Tesla and I was shocked when they told me the cost to rotate the tires! $140. I think I pay $32 at the Honda dealer for that. I might need to start looking around because I can't imagine paying $140 every 3 months for a tire rotation. It might be cheaper to never rotate and buy new tires sooner.

I'll pay it this time but either I'll buy one of those jacks with jack stands that can hold the tesla so I can rotate myself or I'll find another tire shop I can trust to lift the car correctly and pay them $50 or whatever.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most cars need tire rotation so this is nothing unique to Tesla, paying $140 for this is ridiculous and completely unnecessary, not sure why anyone would pay this much for tire rotation

First ..... you DONT need to go to Tesla to rotate your tires... any good tire shop can do that for a small fee or if you are inclined you can do it yourself for $0

Second .... after you burn through your first set of tires and purchase a new set, most tire shops will give you Free rotation for the life of your new set of tires that you purchased from them, if they don't I would suggest shopping elsewhere.

Last edited:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Did they rotate the tires front to back or a different pattern?
Not sure yet I'll ask when I take it in. This was the cost I was quoted for making the appointment on Monday.

Most cars need tire rotation so this is nothing unique to Tesla, paying $140 for this is ridiculous and completely unnecessary, not sure why anyone would pay this much for tire rotation

First ..... you DONT need to go to Tesla to rotate your tires... any tire shop can do that for a small fee or if you are inclined you can do it yourself for $0

Second .... after you burn through your first set of tires and purchase a new set, most tire shops will give you Free rotation for the life of your new set of tires that you purchased from them, if they don't I would suggest shopping elsewhere.
I know this but the issue is who can reliably lift a Tesla Model 3? That is the issue. If it is done wrong it will damage the battery pack. The Model S/X use a different type of jack point than the Model 3. I just need to call around and see who actually knows what they are doing and if they can do it. I have two other items that need to be addressed so I'll let Tesla do it this time but I'll be calling around to see who can do it for the next time.

The other funny thing is say the tires last 24k miles and I pay for Tesla to rotate 3 times that would be $420. If a new set of tires is about $1k or so then is it worth it to rotate them at all? The cost they charge to rotate would almost be 1/2 the cost of a new set of tires.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure yet I'll ask when I take it in. This was the cost I was quoted for making the appointment on Monday.

I know this but the issue is who can reliably lift a Tesla Model 3? That is the issue. If it is done wrong it will damage the battery pack. The Model S/X use a different type of jack point than the Model 3. I just need to call around and see who actually knows what they are doing and if they can do it. I have two other items that need to be addressed so I'll let Tesla do it this time but I'll be calling around to see who can do it for the next time.

The other funny thing is say the tires last 24k miles and I pay for Tesla to rotate 3 times that would be $420. If a new set of tires is about $1k or so then is it worth it to rotate them at all? The cost they charge to rotate would almost be 1/2 the cost of a new set of tires.
Start with Discount Tire. They know and understand Tesla. Just make sure they use their jack blocks.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The thing about Tesla’s prices for this is that they don’t want to mess with tires or these cars have so little need for service they’ve got to make some money off of something. Maybe both. My recommendation for Discount Tire above came from a Tesla employee.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got mine done for free. Local tire shop that has done a few tesla's already.

I kind of think Tesla might charge a lot for things they really don't want to do and you can easily get done someplace else as an incentive to get it done someplace else.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The thing about Tesla’s prices for this is that they don’t want to mess with tires or these cars have so little need for service they’ve got to make some money off of something. Maybe both. My recommendation for Discount Tire above came from a Tesla employee.
Thanks a lot!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did my first rotation last week at a local indy shop for $15

I agree with your thread title though. While Tesla’s don’t require a lot of service, non-warranty work through Tesla is very expensive.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I did my first rotation last week at a local indy shop for $15

I agree with your thread title though. While Tesla’s don’t require a lot of service, non-warranty work through Tesla is very expensive.
This will be the first/last time I let them rotate my tires. I just needed it done because I just got done with a road trip and am above 6k miles and haven't had any time to figure out who can safely rotate them. I wanted to make sure I did some homework first to know who people trust to jack their Tesla's before I went and just had some random shop do it.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So for Jack Points, are you guys leaving it up to the shop, or did you purchase/build adapters?

I'm looking at this set of 4 jack point pucks on Ebay for $75 that looks pretty nice. Billet Aluminum.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So for Jack Points, are you guys leaving it up to the shop, or did you purchase/build adapters?

I'm looking at this set of 4 jack point pucks on Ebay for $75 that looks pretty nice. Billet Aluminum.
I would like to purchase some so if you get some let us know how it goes. You never know when you need to jack a car and it would be handy to have some in the frunk/trunk if I need them on short notice.

My detailer uses these for his business and has no complaints but they are a bit pricier. They have magnets on them so you put them on the car and they stick and then you jack the car. I guess they were designed/made by someone here in Austin.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142709055354

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like to purchase some so if you get some let us know how it goes. You never know when you need to jack a car and it would be handy to have some in the frunk/trunk if I need them on short notice.

My detailer uses these for his business and has no complaints but they are a bit pricier. They have magnets on them so you put them on the car and they stick and then you jack the car. I guess they were designed/made by someone here in Austin.
Well, I was looking at these. They seem pretty nice and a set of 4 for $75 ($21 for 1, $40 for 2). Other colors available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Billet-...224350?hash=item3fa716bade:g:QygAAOSwyglbY8FS

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

As @Quicksilver said, I just went through this. You can see what I did here
I looked at those jack pads and the Aluminum ones. Ended up with the round ones in the case that are a rubber material. I decided on these as most Floor Jacks have a round lift point and figured the thin polyurethane layer on the Aluminum ones might get damaged or lost at a shop. So I just figured in a case they will be fine in the trunk if they are needed for other emergencies as well. They should arrive tomorrow and I will post some thoughts on them.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
As @Quicksilver said, I just went through this. You can see what I did here
I looked at those jack pads and the Aluminum ones. Ended up with the round ones in the case that are a rubber material. I decided on these as most Floor Jacks have a round lift point and figured the thin polyurethane layer on the Aluminum ones might get damaged or lost at a shop. So I just figured in a case they will be fine in the trunk if they are needed for other emergencies as well. They should arrive tomorrow and I will post some thoughts on them.
Thanks let me know! I am definitely buying something I just don't know what yet. I really don't want to rotate tires myself. It is a major pain in my garage with all my kids crap in there. I don't mind paying for that service if it is <$50 like at the Honda dealer. The reason I do brake work on my wife's van is because the stupid thing starts to vibrate due to inadequate cooling on the brakes so every 50k miles or so I change everything out rotors and pads. If I do it myself it is about $300 for parts but the dealer wants a butt ton of money to do all of that so I would be tempted just to replace the pads and live with the vibration. This way we are both happier and I just lose about 1 hour of my time and a bucket of sweat.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having to carry around these jack pads just seems like a pain in the xxx to me. You will always have to explain it to the tire shop, and more likely than not the guy doing the work will not get the message or forget to use them, and/or loose them in the shop. Just seems like some sort of low profile pad at the jack points should have been built into the vehicle. Are there any after market pads that can be installed and just left on the jack points?