So many are trying to make the 3 a car that it isn't

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
(...) I don't want to change Model 3, I like it a lot as it is.
I just need an option added to it, which I need rather frequently. With me many people in Europe. And for the life of me I don't understand what's the problem with adding a towing hitch as an option, if demand for it is significant. Why this US resistance against it? You won't see it anyway, this side of the ocean.
Adding a tow hitch is a lot more than a metal bracket. As a factory option, things related to that hitch need to be tested, from every manner of strength test to rear end collisions. Don't forget running around for hours on end at max trailer load to see if the battery cooling system and drive unit can handle it. Considering Tesla skipped several phases of testing to get the car to market, it's safe to say they did not have the time or funds to do any of the above for such an edge use case. No one has ever spotted a Model 3 test mule with anything attached to the rear, only a roof rack. If the RWD Model 3 is approved for a hitch for anything more than a bike rack I'd be surprised. The AWD with adjustable suspension version would make a bit more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We also have to remember that in other countries aftermarket hitches have legal limitations. IIRC, you legally aren't allowed to tow a trailer with an aftermarket hitch in Norway. As a result, all Model X's sold there absolutely have to have the hitch already pre-installed at the factory.

I was so happy when Elon confirmed the tow hitch would be coming on the 3, but sadly RWD obviously doesn’t have it yet. Here's hoping AWD or future iterations will have it for all of those who want it.

Last edited:

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Strong feelings, much?
Some options don't even have anything other than an ancient, offhand hint of a tweet and we still have some folks getting really irate about it, as if the lack of their option is a personal or national affront.
Even some of the more than hinted options are at least a year away.
If folk are so angry about it now, what will it be like in 8 months time?

Got more important things to do now - like habitually mashing CTRL-F5 on my Tesla account page :cool:

evelectricity

Country
Country
That was my point though - those buying into a Model 3 just because it's the first affordable EV are going to ultimately be disappointed and frustrated after the honeymoon period as they, day after day, try to fit a Toyota Highlander lifestyle into a compact sedan. I'd hate to see them blame Tesla because of this.

Always right in front of me! :eek:
I have to laugh about the Highlander comment because that was my family. I think people will adjust just as we have. Sure, the M3 may not be the perfect vehicle, but what is? My story is back in 2013 I bought a Volt to replace my Prism (built at Fremont before Tesla), and put solar on the house to power the Volt. We had a lot of surplus power so we leased a Honda Fit EV. My wife stopped driving our 2008 Highlander because she loved the Fit EV. It rides super stiff, doesn't have a lot of cargo room, but she loved the acceleration and its flexibility. She drove our two kids all over town to their various activities with it, putting on 15,000 miles a year. She found ways to jam in music equipment for my daughter and somehow managed to regularly squeeze in three teenagers in the back. We even made it our primary family car as our neighbors laughed on whenever we drove by.

After three years we sold the Highlander because it was never driven. We literally went three months without the thing moving. After rats made a home and caused $900 damage we got rid of it with 75,000 miles on it. Now approaching 5 years old we have 70,000 miles on the Fit and looking forward to the 3. Sure there are some things I don't like about the Model 3 that I complained about in an earlier posting, but I can live with them. Once you get into an electric you never want to go back to gas. I am sure there are going to be people replacing SUVs with the 3, and they may not like some of the sacrifices, but I think most will be be satisfied with the EV experience.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Bear in mind, the target market for the Model 3 is aimed squarely at the BMW 3 Series sedan buyers market, which has been the most successful entry level luxury car in the U.S. for years and years.

Tesla set a goal to make a better car in every significant way that matters most to their target market, and they did in terms of safety, cost of ownership, efficiency, driving dynamics, interior space, technology, acceleration, performance, sustainability, reduced complexity, longevity, relative versatility, etc. Complaints that go beyond this scope of accomplishment have workarounds/alternative solutions (present or future) or are mostly gibberish from what I’ve read so far IMO. Well, maybe except for the tow hitch requirement outside of the U.S. But then again, the U.S. market has always been the primary objective.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Strong feelings, much?
Some options don't even have anything other than an ancient, offhand hint of a tweet and we still have some folks getting really irate about it, as if the lack of their option is a personal or national affront.
(...)
Agree. Strong reminder on my part to all concerned to keep the tone down. We all have personal preferences, we can disagree, yet let’s stay courteous and non confrontational. Posts edited accordingly.
Thanks, Mike

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Yeah, never see that in the US. If you're towing, it better be with a pickup, van or SUV.
Again, the Model 3 US designed primarily for the US market where towing just doesn't happen with a small car.
Ok, Guys. This forum is international therefore full of diversity. It’s good. :)

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meh. Rent a truck from Home Depot.
Meh. Rental company is 10 miles the other way than the dump site. So at least 6 times a year I should drive there, get back home, load all the stuff I want to take to the dump, drive there and then back to the rental? 60 miles, when 20 would suffice with a towing hitch? Apart from the costs for renting and gas? 6 times a year? Really?
And even more trouble and miles when we're moving house in a number of years? Really?
To me a towing hitch is the most useful accessory of a car, of any car. Please respect that.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’ve seen towing hitches attaches to almost every vehicle imaginable including a Fiat-500. In the US or at least in my state the requirements are very low for adding a hitch. Am I to understand that in some countries there is some form or certification making it more important if not mandatory that it be factory installed? I could see Tesla making it an option only on the AWD version which might be overkill for the casual visit to the dump or the hardware store.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
While I have no doubt that numerous aftermarket options will appear for the Model 3, a trailer hitch becomes REALLY problematic if you are using it for anything aside from light loads like bike rack or other external storage. The UI vehicle operations MUST be modified for trailering or accidents can occur especially with regards to regen braking while trailering.

From the Model X manual,

"In Trailer Mode, the following Model X features are disabled:

• Autosteer.
• Autopark.
• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the car in front of you.
• Park Assist (rear).
• Smart Air Suspension will not make speed-based adjustments from STANDARD to LOW.
•Smart Air Suspension does not make automatic height adjustments based on saved location-based settings.
•Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.

In addition, the braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 95) is signifcantly limited."

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve seen towing hitches attaches to almost every vehicle imaginable including a Fiat-500. In the US or at least in my state the requirements are very low for adding a hitch. Am I to understand that in some countries there is some form or certification making it more important if not mandatory that it be factory installed? I could see Tesla making it an option only on the AWD version which might be overkill for the casual visit to the dump or the hardware store.
Not for those who want both AWD (SAS) and TH.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I have no doubt that numerous aftermarket options will appear for the Model 3, a trailer hitch becomes REALLY problematic if you are using it for anything aside from light loads like bike rack or other external storage. The UI vehicle operations MUST be modified for trailering or accidents can occur especially with regards to regen braking while trailering.

From the Model X manual,

"In Trailer Mode, the following Model X features are disabled:

• Autosteer.
• Autopark.
• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the car in front of you.
• Park Assist (rear).
• Smart Air Suspension will not make speed-based adjustments from STANDARD to LOW.
•Smart Air Suspension does not make automatic height adjustments based on saved location-based settings.
•Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.

In addition, the braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 95) is signifcantly limited."
The computer of every modern car needs to be recalibrated for an added towing hitch.
Yes, some features are disabled, but so what? Driving with a cart attached will always need a different driving technique.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The computer of every modern car needs to be recalibrated for an added towing hitch.
No, not if the vehicle was never intended for such use. To even hint that a vehicle can tow from the factory in official documentation means a battery of tests with all manner of trailers has to be completed by the manufacturer first - a luxury Tesla does not have right now for a fringe use case. Pulling anything can cause the stability and traction programs to behave unexpectedly and lead to a crash. No lawyer would allow that.
And the lawyers always have the last word.
Keep your eyes peeled for Model 3s with anything attached to the back. These photos always leak at some point.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Guys... on the two hitch... I think it is fair to say that this is something lots of people could use yet would require some modifications currently not planned.

However, don’t see why we can’t keep it on the lists of add-ons that may come at a later stage...

This car, like all T≡SLAs will evolve!!