So go the new iPhone Max....

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
...and now I can’t set it up as a new phone key. Keep getting a message saying “could not find your vehicle, please move closer to your vehicle” despite me sitting in it. I was able to set it up for music and I can lock/unlock through the app, just can’t set it up as a key.

Anyone run into something similar? Tried rebooting and both the car and the app, etc

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Xs, not max, and I got the move closer notice once. Then it worked after that.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...and now I can’t set it up as a new phone key. Keep getting a message saying “could not find your vehicle, please move closer to your vehicle” despite me sitting in it. I was able to set it up for music and I can lock/unlock through the app, just can’t set it up as a key.

Anyone run into something similar? Tried rebooting and both the car and the app, etc
Silly question on my part ...did you delete the old phone as key and then add your new phone? Using the key card as authentication?

Edit: I got the new iPhone Xs Max as well and had to do that.

Edit 2: oh, your are saying your car doesn’t even see your new phone...sorry I misread your post, friend.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Silly question on my part ...did you delete the old phone as key and then add your new phone? Using the key card as authentication?

Edit: I got the new iPhone Xs Max as well and had to do that.

Edit 2: oh, your are saying your car doesn’t even see your new phone...sorry I misread your post, friend.
Yes I deleted my old phone before adding XsMax

sduck

Country
Country
The bluetooth antennas for the key part are on the side mirrors and the front and back bumpers. If you're inside the car it may not be able to connect well enough. Maybe try connecting outside, or opening the window?

FWIW I had to do a cold boot of my iphone X after installing iOS 12 to get it to work right - that may be something to try also.

TCR

Country
Country
I got that phone too and just had to re-set up the key in app—not a problem. However, does anybody know where the “proximity sensor” is on this phone that you are not supposed to cover during summon?

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Honestly when migrating to a new phone after restoring from a backup one of the very BEST things that one can do it totally reset all the network setting which will also purge previous Bluetooth setup. I know it’s a pain especially with many secured WiFi setups and maybe lots of Bluetooth setups but it will significantly reduce overall pain and suffering going forward. I understand why things tend to break down but am surprised that Apple hasn’t figured out a better way yet to facilitate this in migration.

No problem with my xs max

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just paired my wife's new XsMax. No problems, but I noticed the screen only says "iPhone" vs mine that identifies it as an "iPhone 6"

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I just paired my wife's new XsMax. No problems, but I noticed the screen only says "iPhone" vs mine that identifies it as an "iPhone 6"
That s a function of what YOU have called your device. Newer phones are just called “iPhone” from the factory. If you go into settings. General About Name you can call the specific phone whatever you like. You might have to repair the phone to get it to update in the car though. Give it a try.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That s a function of what YOU have called your device. Newer phones are just called “iPhone” from the factory. If you go into settings. General About Name you can call the specific phone whatever you like. You might have to repair the phone to get it to update in the car though. Give it a try.
It does have her name as the title of the key.
I mean the line below the title that shows what type of iPhone it is, this just says iPhone where mine says iPhone 6.

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Again. That is coming from the iPhone naming on the IPHONE
Ok. Well, could you post a pic of where you mean?
Cuz mine and hers both have our Name followed by iPhone in the Name section, ie "Joe's iPhone"
Yet mine displays "iPhone 6" below it on the UI, but her's just says iPhone.
So the car is recognizing that mine is a 6 without me putting it in there

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've switched keys on 3 phones, it never worked the first time and I kinda figured out what I was doing wrong - trying to search for the car from the phone. It never worked.

Turned on Bluetooth on the phone, and let the car search and pair for the phone, with the verification tap of the key card near the center console. Haven't seen any hiccups this way, just a seamless process.