HOT Smart Summon problems with strange routes? Fix them yourself!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's been discovered that Tesla uses OpenStreetMap data for parking lot mapping for Smart Summon. If you're having trouble with Smart Summon taking strange routes within those areas you can indeed fix it yourself.

From OpenStreeMap:
OpenStreetMap is built by a community of mappers that contribute and maintain data about roads, trails, cafés, railway stations, and much more, all over the world.

The process is pretty simple:

Simply create a free account at https://www.openstreetmap.org

Once your email is verified and you login, zoom into the parking lot you want to edit.
Click Edit
Click Line
Click where you want the line to start then click along any path to outline the lot or path (it will create segments as you go).
On the left of the screen chose the feature type (path, road, etc), surface etc.., set avoidances (eg: no cars)
Click Save in the top right to save your changes.

In my screenshot I added a concrete footpath to my local Home Depot and set it to no cars. Hopefully this will help the cars and curb avoidance.

screen-shot-2019-11-05-at-8-11-29-am-png.30359

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow. Does it strike anyone else as questionable to rely on publicly edited data for summon path determination? I haven't used /edited openstreetmap data, I'll have to take a look at what the review process is for user-submitted changes.

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep, I'd be VERY cautious about using a route with no 2nd party verification! It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Wow. Does it strike anyone else as questionable to rely on publicly edited data for summon path determination? I haven't used /edited openstreetmap data, I'll have to take a look at what the review process is for user-submitted changes.

raptor

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
While you can map parking lots, you still need to wait for Tesla to push a map update (I've only seen 1 this year), so it's not an instant fix, and it's definitely not using OSM for speed limits (probably a commercial database I'm guessing).

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep, I'd be VERY cautious about using a route with no 2nd party verification! It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Disaster is too strong a word, I think. The Tesla FSD philosophy is that the car should rely primarily on its sensors (including cameras), and only secondarily on things like map data. So if someone puts in bad OSM data, either intentionally or not, the worst that should happen is either the car driving itself in to a dead end thinking there was a route there, or refusing to go on a roadway because it thinks it's not for cars. Either of those are inconveniences, not disasters. It should not result in the Tesla operating unsafely.

Eli

Country
Country
While you can map parking lots, you still need to wait for Tesla to push a map update (I've only seen 1 this year), so it's not an instant fix, and it's definitely not using OSM for speed limits (probably a commercial database I'm guessing).
Apparently it updates pretty fast for folks, like next day. There are the base maps that were updated back in May, and there are also "map overrides", and it keeps checking the mothership to see if they changed.

2019-10-21T20:54:14.313546-07:00 cid QtCarTMServer[19967]: [CachedRemoteFile] INFO starting download of http://mothership.vn.teslamotors.com:4567/gui/maps/valhalla/map_override_NA-2019.20-10487.pbf.gz
2019-10-21T20:54:15.327080-07:00 cid QtCarTMServer[19967]: [CachedRemoteFile] INFO MapDataOverrides Cached file: /home/tesla/.Tesla/data/map_override.pbf.gz matches contents on server

I think the speed limits come from TomTom but I'm not sure. It's a crazy frankenstein mix of mapping sources.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And yet people rely on Waze day in and day out.

That said, this is why I essentially don’t use “Come to Me”, because I like to see the path before I trust it.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So everyone's mission (whether you choose to accept it or not) over this next weekend is to choose 10 parking lots and update curbs and walks. In 2 weeks we should have almost perfect Summon. I want to update the school lot I used to test in and see how the improvement might be down the road.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just correctly edited the street in front of my townhouse to private because it was shown as public, I actually labelled it as "destination only" so that uber etc. can still find me, hopefully that's still considered "private" enough for smart summon?

I often need to move vehicles in my tandem parking situation...hopefully it will eventually update and being able to move the vehicle with "line of sight" from the 2nd story of the townhouse, out of the way for my wife to park in the 1st spot, that would be sweet. The fwd/reverse only is not long enough to get out of the way.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not too hard to pick up and make edits. I added curbing/walkwasys and the one way roadways through the parking lot that I've tested summon in. It did just have a general path through it on OSM. Now it looks like this:
screen-shot-2019-11-05-at-10-01-55-pm-png.30376

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
You can select the path, and choose one-way in the inspector, it should show arrows on there...

View attachment 30371
Yes, but I did it as a Road because I never found Parking Aisle. That's what I was looking for. I will look again.

Ah, it appears I need to start with tagging the parking lot area with Tag:amenity=parking
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=parking

Ah 2, In the iD editor I had to Search for "Parking Lot" when Selecting the Feature Type for the parking lot area.

Last edited:

llluis

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is gold information, thanks!!! Been using Smart Summon daily at work, with a bug parking lot which was not mapped at all at OSM. I just did the mapping, let's see if any improvements.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's been discovered that Tesla uses OpenStreetMap data for parking lot mapping for Smart Summon.
What is the source of this and how has it been verified? I ask because if I had a dollar for everytime someone said they discovered where the mapping data came from I'd have like $3. I have made edits in two different other sources with no luck. And both of those other sources people claimed they made changes there that eventually were picked up by Tesla.

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've gone ahead and mapped the parking aisles in a few places around me which have one-way lanes. I haven't even tried summon in any of those areas yet, figuring it could very easily wind up going the wrong way and I really hate to be 'that guy'. Very curious to see if folks are able to see some before-and-after improvements after updating the maps. I'm also curious if mapping the parking areas/parking spaces provides some benefit for summon and/or auto-park.