Smart Summon - Historical thread for Beta version and speculation

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is much faster now and I think acceptable.
It has always pulled up to me in the right orientation, but really it just goes to a point, and will be in the orientation it needs to get there. It also draws its planned route on your phone so this shouldn't be a surprise.
Yes, it is not making any attempt to perform driving norms with other traffic in a large parking lot, but it's great for a small lot, private lot, or one without traffic.
And it's absolutely a spectacular parlor trick.
Remember, at any given point, each Tesla feature is the worst it will be...they are always improving!

yep, it has gotten so so much better. i don't trust it nearly enough to use in even a somewhat busy parking lot as it is now. no doubt people will try to use it in crazy situations that it shouldn't be used in which the media will pounce on like anything Tesla related. not saying it shouldn't be released or anything like that but I just hope they don't rush it our since everyone keeps asking for it.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, it is not making any attempt to perform driving norms with other traffic in a large parking lot, but it's great for a small lot, private lot, or one without traffic.
And it's absolutely a spectacular parlor trick.
Remember, at any given point, each Tesla feature is the worst it will be...they are always improving!
This is why I believe it should remain in early access program for now. I think it's great that they're still working on it and its getting better, but I don't think it belongs with the general public to test out. Those in early access program are fairly small. Compared to all the external drivers that would be annoyed with hundreds of thousands of Tesla owners trying this out.

I highly doubt this will be released with v10. Elon said it's starting to suck less. But that means it still sucks. I don't think he'll be comfortable with shipping this product just yet.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is why I believe it should remain in early access program for now. I think it's great that they're still working on it and its getting better, but I don't think it belongs with the general public to test out. Those in early access program are fairly small. Compared to all the external drivers that would be annoyed with hundreds of thousands of Tesla owners trying this out.

I highly doubt this will be released with v10. Elon said it's starting to suck less. But that means it still sucks. I don't think he'll be comfortable with shipping this product just yet.
The operator is still supposed to be in line of sight. Most owners will quickly learn the situations in which it causes problems, and not use it in those situations. Same as, e.g., AP and NOA. The net result is that those kinds of features sometimes cause minor annoyance to other drivers, but are not a constant pain/hazard, because owners learn not to use them in situations where they do poorly or to override them if they're causing trouble.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The operator is still supposed to be in line of sight. Most owners will quickly learn the situations in which it causes problems, and not use it in those situations. Same as, e.g., AP and NOA. The net result is that those kinds of features sometimes cause minor annoyance to other drivers, but are not a constant pain/hazard, because owners learn not to use them in situations where they do poorly or to override them if they're causing trouble.
Yes what happens when 200K owners trying it out for the first time? If 10% of those instances annoy another driver, that's a lot of people. A PR nightmare. I don't think anyone is going to be harmed, but the other drive is going to have to wait for the Tesla driver to run over to their car, and resolve the situation, Not reacting within a few seconds of green light can get you a honk, this would be worse.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's true, that if the current software only fails 0.1% of the time, thousands of people will have scratched paint and fender benders to contend with and the press will have a field day.
They need a way to do some kind of opt-in after training and agreement. (I could say the same for some other Tesla tech as well...)

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's true, that if the current software only fails 0.1% of the time, thousands of people will have scratched paint and fender benders to contend with and the press will have a field day.
They need a way to do some kind of opt-in after training and agreement. (I could say the same for some other Tesla tech as well...)
That's a different kind of fail. I don't think Smart Summon will ever run in to another car. (Low speeds and ultrasonic sensors!) The more common problem will be Smart Summon freezing up, refusing to move at all, and blocking someone else in the process.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a different kind of fail. I don't think Smart Summon will ever run in to another car. (Low speeds and ultrasonic sensors!) The more common problem will be Smart Summon freezing up, refusing to move at all, and blocking someone else in the process.
I agree however that autonomous taxi in Las Vegas showed that you also need to get out of the way sometimes. Even though it wasn't the fault of the taxi per se they blame the taxi for not getting out of the way because a human driver would have.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
People hitting each other in parking lots is an everyday thing. Especially any parking lot where almost everybody is in and out pretty frequently, like a post office.

So Tesla is not suddenly going to statistically move the needle on people donking each other in parking lots.

There won’t be a hue and cry to stop the Tesla Advanced Summon carnage. A few titillating stories, but that’s just Tuesday for Tesla.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...so you're worried enhanced summon will behave just like half the humans do in a parking lot?

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i still have not gotten the enhanced auto-summon software upgrade yet, is it because i only have EAP and not the FSD? is FSD a requirement for enhanced auto-summon?

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i still have not gotten the enhanced auto-summon software upgrade yet, is it because i only have EAP and not the FSD? is FSD a requirement for enhanced auto-summon?
Earlier this week Elon announced it has been delayed for another 4-8 weeks. Although, he has been saying this since last November.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Enhanced Summon will be included for those that purchased Enhanced Autopilot.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regardless of the lines, if a human driver came face to face with another human driver, those two would be able to mitigate the situation and avoid each other. However with Tesla, if it was lined up with another car in front of it, it isn't going to break the rules and go around it by driving over painted lines. AP is great because a human drive can take over when it's not operating perfectly. That doesn't exist with Smart Summon.
EXACTLY what I've been saying since the start of this whole project... humans in general are absolutely terrible and unpredictable in parking lots more than anyplace else.

There will be TONS of "hold on, I need to go fetch my car" situations with head to head standoffs, other drivers stopped too close behind the spot, wrong side of the lane, etc.

Just wait until it goes live, watch the news stories go wild and the stock take a hit once again. Just like the current summon it's a gimmick at best.... and I love Tesla, but they should be spending their time elsewhere.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EXACTLY what I've been saying since the start of this whole project... humans in general are absolutely terrible and unpredictable in parking lots more than anyplace else.

There will be TONS of "hold on, I need to go fetch my car" situations with head to head standoffs, other drivers stopped too close behind the spot, wrong side of the lane, etc.

Just wait until it goes live, watch the news stories go wild and the stock take a hit once again. Just like the current summon it's a gimmick at best.... and I love Tesla, but they should be spending their time elsewhere.
I'm not a FSD optimist--I think there are a lot of intractable problems involved in getting all the way there.

But the "breaking the rules" thing? Teslas already do that. In emergency situations, Teslas will swerve on to the wrong side of the road if it has to in order to avoid or mitigate an accident.

And just today, on AP, I drove through a construction zone with crazy lane markings. The car broke all sorts of rules in order to drive in a sensible way. If it can do that at 50 mph, it can potentially handle a low-speed stand-off in a parking lot. Maybe they won't have all that implemented yet, but we're a lot closer to that being reality than to, say, an unprotected left turn facing traffic.

And I think you're overestimating the bad PR that will come from those kinds of incidents. Sure, the anti-Tesla forces will try to play them up--but they prefer to highlight incidents like fatal accidents rather thn a parking lot stand-off. Also, I don't think it's the kind of thing that hits the stock. At worst, jurisdictions might prohibit the use of Smart Summon in response to multiple complaints, but that doesn't represent a substantial threat to the company the way an NTSA investigation of a fatality while on AP might.

John Di Cecco

Country
Country
Then you don't buy into FSD at all.

If you think about it, NOA on expressway is pretty good. Does 90% of driving pretty well

Tesla must be pretty confident of getting enhanced summon released. Whether it's 4 weeks or 12 weeks does not make that much difference. Just creates noise.

Lets say city NOA is 4 months out.

If they can stitch all of this together and get to 90% reliability that would be ground breaking.

Will we ever be able to climb inti the back seat and go to sleep. I don't care and doubt it for a long time

If my car could drive itself 90% of the time with me supervising that would be awesome and groundbreaking

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Summon is a different beast. It's doing the driving without a human behind the wheel, whereas autopilot the human has the ability to override if needed. This makes it much more difficult. There are no training disengagements.

It's also disappointing that this one feature is holding back the release of v10 (assumption - all other features are ready to go).

Status
Not open for further replies.