Smart Summon - Historical thread for Beta version and speculation

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As much as I want Advanced Summon, I'd appreciate it more if basic Summon worked when people are watching, like last night on my nephew's farm (in the MN boonies). Even tho I had driven it to their farm an hour earlier, when asked if I could move my 3 so they could shoot hoops, I had trouble waking it (took almost 3 minutes), then had connection issues after it moved backwards less than an inch. Totally embarrassed (and with 10 people watching), I climbed in the car and backed it up myself. Hours later when it was time to leave, with one person watching, I pulled it ahead and was impressed when it steered a bit to the right to avoid the basketball hoop's base. (Is it shy?) After 5 more people showed up, again I was able to get it to back up. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with basic summon. In the last 6 months, it fails three times out of four, yet trouble with door unlocking and driving is rare. Prior to that, I had good luck with Summon.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could it be related to a poor cell signal?
Absolutely, I have similar issues where I can barely get it to work in my parking garage since my cell phone has like 1 bar of 3G (flaky af). I’m curious to know what enhancements they made to make activation of summon so much quicker, maybe they do direct authentication with the car now rather than issuing an API call to their home servers?

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ND and rural MN are very bad areas for AT&T, which I think I remember Tesla uses. Pretty much anything but Verizon fails here.
Yep, you could always hotspot off your phone especially if you have verizon or a usable-cell service from your phone. With that said it would be nice if they put a more compact Starlink antenna in the cars for cell service backup :)

TheeCatzMeow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As much as I want Advanced Summon, I'd appreciate it more if basic Summon worked when people are watching, like last night on my nephew's farm (in the MN boonies). Even tho I had driven it to their farm an hour earlier, when asked if I could move my 3 so they could shoot hoops, I had trouble waking it (took almost 3 minutes), then had connection issues after it moved backwards less than an inch. Totally embarrassed (and with 10 people watching), I climbed in the car and backed it up myself. Hours later when it was time to leave, with one person watching, I pulled it ahead and was impressed when it steered a bit to the right to avoid the basketball hoop's base. (Is it shy?) After 5 more people showed up, again I was able to get it to back up. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with basic summon. In the last 6 months, it fails three times out of four, yet trouble with door unlocking and driving is rare. Prior to that, I had good luck with Summon.
Guessing its your phone and not the car. I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge all bluetooth functions of the phone were terrible with the car. Upgraded to Samsung Galaxy S10+ not only have I had 0 issues at all since having the phone for 4 months but its even better (meaning faster and feature rich) then I've seen any car interact with a cellphone.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my "dumb summon" works well, but you have to not block the location sensor on your phone, if you hold your phone with just the fingertips it tends to help keep that location sensor happy

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel like any connection issues with summon were resolved 6-9 months ago. But I'm spoiled always on the latest iPhone. Remember that data connections must be reliable, so your phone, its app, its bluetooth stack, as well as wifi and data service need to all be in top shape for regular and enhanced summon to work well. Bluetooth always has weird issues especially with older and off-brand phones. Try turning bluetooth off and back on, or rebooting the phone, same as if you had issues unlocking your car. If you are in a location with poor cell or wifi, then things won't work great. Keep these thoughts in the back of your head the next time summon (or unlocking) isn't working right and see if that helps deduce why. It really has been working spectacularly, though I don't use it very often. Including the enhanced versions...

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could it be related to a poor cell signal? I know I have trouble in small towns and farms.
I haven't used this feature many times but when I have it's worked flawlessly for me. Does yours ever work? Or is it failing in certain situations?
It worked quite well when I first got the car a year ago with 2018.24.8. After the first firmware update it got flaky and hasn’t worked since including on 2019.20.4.4 which is my current release. Just another gimmick I paid for with EAP/FSD that, for me, doesn’t work along with phantom braking, and auto park.

Last edited:

wackojacko

Country
Country
enhanced summons has not been release into the wilds in the USA. I believe it is in the Beta releases only at this time.
Yeah I've read an August release "into the wild" for the US. I suspect for Canada some time in the Fall based on the delay between US and Canada for regular summon on the Model 3. Of course this is just my guess/hope :)

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah I've read an August release "into the wild" for the US. I suspect for Canada some time in the Fall based on the delay between US and Canada for regular summon on the Model 3. Of course this is just my guess/hope :)
Elon mentioned it will be in wide release by August 16th. If that's the case, rollout will probably start second week in August, and ramp up as it approaches that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.