Small chips in windshield

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my first little chips in the front glass a couple days ago, which wasn't bad and was down low on the passenger side, out of sight.

Today we drove out to get dinner and I was admiring how clean and clear the windshield was because I had cleaned it off earlier today. By the time I was almost home, though, I noticed that the windshield was no longer clear and instead had little tiny spots all over it in front of me. I figured it was bugs or dirt, so I used the wipers. The spots didn't go away.

I got home and sure enough, I have tiny chips all over the windshield. Not sure if some sand or dirt came off a car in front of me or off the road, but I'm not happy. Of all my years driving, I've never gotten these kind of chips in my windshields.

Anyone else seeing tiny chips in the glass?

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have two small chips - but I remember when I got them and I cringed when it happened. I was merging onto a road and pulled in behind a big aggregate (gravel) truck who was doing 55mph and I thought at that instant that this was a bad idea. We went through an intersection and I could hear the "thwack!" sound of two decent sized chunks of gravel hitting the passenger side window. I pulled over and let him get a ways ahead of me and continued on my way but there are two little spots that look a lot like yours on my window.

To the best of my knowledge I don't have any other chips on the window... but my car is pretty dirty right now.

Living here in Colorado, it's sort of a known thing that your glass is going to get pummeled by grit. We have roads that they resurface with oil and gravel, we have grit that they put on the roads for ice, and then we have all these trucks hauling aggregate/sand/gravel around on the roads from all the mines around here. I'm not happy about it, but I assume it's just going to happen and there's not much that I can do about it except not follow trucks hauling gravel around very closely.

Gravel and grit is actually the reason that I put Xpel wrap over the front of my car - because the paint takes a serious amount of abuse on a lot of roads around here in the summer (from resurfacing) and winter (from road grit). But I didn't do anything with the front windshield... I'm not sure that you can do anything about the front windshield.

I wouldn't say that my Model 3 is any more prone to window damage than my previous Toyota Prius was though.

Last edited:

Speck3

Country
Country
Yes I have a ton of small chips all over the windshield. Have never had this many on any of the cars I’ve owned before. I’m kind of annoyed.

wawam3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine too...had a few chips already...called eSurance and they sent Safelite to fill the chips which is included in the auto insurance...

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No small chips but I got a dime sized bullseye with only 350km on the car... Kids wanted to go on the freeway for the cowbell trick <sigh> and the driver in front of me swerved onto the shoulder and back suddenly.

The guys in the mall parking lot fixed it for $50 and don't notice it at all anymore.

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At this point I have 1 very small nick in the windshield as well. I plan on having Safelite repair it as well.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have similar damage to mine close to the driver side A pillar, but I don't recall hearing any impacts. I'm not thrilled with the quality of their glass. My current windshield is only 8 weeks old.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Windshield pits caused by small rocks/gravel are very common. The shape of the vehicle and slope of the windshield have a tremendous influence on the susceptibility to damage. I find the Tesla windshields about average for getting rock chips, and I live in an area where we have lots of wind, lots of gravel/dump trucks and wash-outs that leave gravel all over the roads after bis rain storms.

I consider myself lucky if I can go a month without a chip in a new windshield. This has been true for vans, jeeps and a VW Passat and Tiguan. It doesn't mean I am happy about it, just that that's life.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually didn't know this but when I got my Model 3 wrapped in the front, they told me they can install a special perfectly transparent film specifically made for windshields. I didn't get it at the time but after my first surface pit, I'm thinking about it.

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2nd pit just showed up, right in front of driver's eyes (if you're tall). I bought a windshield repair kit for $17 to see if it will help. Neither pit has cracking and both of them are really shallow and small. Safelite was way too expensive for something this small.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup, got one this week. Was driving street road at 40mph and i hit a loud clunk and sure enough when i stopped home and check the wind shield i had 2 small pits. Called insurance and they said it's free to fill by safelite and i bought it over to them and they said the pits are to small and are normal wear.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually didn't know this but when I got my Model 3 wrapped in the front, they told me they can install a special perfectly transparent film specifically made for windshields. I didn't get it at the time but after my first surface pit, I'm thinking about it.
I was curious whether there was some type of windshield protection available. I am going to check into that. Thanks!

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Two months and about 3000 miles, had my M3 waxed and outside detailed. Everything so shiny. Driving home, I noticed a tiny chip in windshield. Maybe 1mm across but right in front of my eyes, about half foot above the steering wheel UGH. Super clean window and now I see it.

I know it wasn't the guys today since I was in the car the whole time they worked on the outside so almost no chance they could have done this.

Have appointment at Safelite Sat. morning. Web site says up to 3 chips are $109. I could file for insurance but maybe not for that, as it would maybe raise rate. But more important, if they fill it, has anyone had this done? Is it invisible after that?

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got once recently after driving on a really bad highway in Philadelphia...

Has anyone successfully fixed these small windshield chips?

Country
Country
@NR4P how did it go with Safelite? Im interested in the repairability of chips of this sort. I’m up to 3 chips about 1mm in size, no cracks or ‘bullseye’. Normal NJ roads and we haven’t even gotten to winter salt, sand, gravel, and torn up roads from the plows.

I’m not sure if it’s geometry as @RichNuth says or if it’s something about Tesla’s glass that’s more susceptible to chips. My past cars have all gotten glass chips eventually but it seems to be happening much faster with this car. That said the chips on other cars, when they did happen were bigger and more noticeable. Maybe something in Tesla’s glass is actually minimizing what would usually be far worse? (Things I tell myself to try and ignore the chips)

I’m not sure if it’s worth fixing them and I’m just kind of hoping I stop noticing them eventually. I’m not sure if Safelite’s resin will fill small shallow chips and stick well. also I’m not how invisible the repair is afterward. (Why fix if there’s still visual artifacts from the repair? I don’t think these are crack-forming risks). For larger chips and damage I could see it being worthwhile to mitigate visibility and prevent cracking. These small ones I’m not sure about.

But at ~2500 miles and 3 chips in m field of view, I fear what 25,000 miles is going to look like.

ltphoto

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes it's just luck, but the car shape can definitely make a difference. I had a Mini Cooper for six years and went through five windshields in that time. The upright windshield on Mini's is a rock magnet. Glad I had just a $100 deductible for glass. Also glad I still have the $100 deductible since my current windshield is being replaced and would have cost about $900.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I don’t know if it’s geometry or physics or dumb luck but I’ve never experienced a windshield chip in 30+ years driving many different vehicles. My last car had developed a haze from micropitting after 24 years with the same windshield (including some wind blown roofing material damage around year 6 which only required cleaning).

With the Model 3, however, I got my first chip in the first 3k and it was a mystery hit I thought was dirt. The second chip(s - rock skipped and left 3) came from a dump truck kicking something up in the oncoming lane while driving into Yellowstone after another 5k had been driven. In both cases, the chips are so small that the repair guy said they couldn’t completely blend them to invisibility like they could with a bullseye or crack. The first one was in my eyeline and didn’t go away completely but I quickly stopped noticing it after the repair and would be hard pressed to find it; we’ll see about the other ones.

Long and short of it, if we discover Tesla could potentially limit these with a design change, I hope they roll it out as a recall.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@NR4P how did it go with Safelite? Im interested in the repairability of chips of this sort. I’m up to 3 chips about 1mm in size, no cracks or ‘bullseye’. Normal NJ roads and we haven’t even gotten to winter salt, sand, gravel, and torn up roads from the plows.

I’m not sure if it’s geometry as @RichNuth says or if it’s something about Tesla’s glass that’s more susceptible to chips. My past cars have all gotten glass chips eventually but it seems to be happening much faster with this car. That said the chips on other cars, when they did happen were bigger and more noticeable. Maybe something in Tesla’s glass is actually minimizing what would usually be far worse? (Things I tell myself to try and ignore the chips)

I’m not sure if it’s worth fixing them and I’m just kind of hoping I stop noticing them eventually. I’m not sure if Safelite’s resin will fill small shallow chips and stick well. also I’m not how invisible the repair is afterward. (Why fix if there’s still visual artifacts from the repair? I don’t think these are crack-forming risks). For larger chips and damage I could see it being worthwhile to mitigate visibility and prevent cracking. These small ones I’m not sure about.

But at ~2500 miles and 3 chips in m field of view, I fear what 25,000 miles is going to look like.
Safelite said it was too small and only the surface affected. Nothing they could do. Didnt want my money. He said if I get another one then replace the windshield.

After a few days I really dont see it anymore unless I lool for it. Even directly in front of me.

In my State replacements are free and haven't even tried to get it covered by insurance. But if another happens, I will replace it.