Slacker Question

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So our Model 3s have an upgraded Slacker account. I'm more familiar with Pandora but it seems very similar. Anyways -- I accidentally down arrowed a few songs I was trying to up arrow (shame on me for watching the road.) Is there a way with the Slacker/Tesla relationship to login to the account somewhere and delete those down arrows? I know you can do it with Pandora, and I assume the functionality exists with Slacker. But how do we login or browse our online slacker account that we get automatically through Tesla? Is there a way through the car or through Slacker's site?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So our Model 3s have an upgraded Slacker account. I'm more familiar with Pandora but it seems very similar. Anyways -- I accidentally down arrowed a few songs I was trying to up arrow (shame on me for watching the road.) Is there a way with the Slacker/Tesla relationship to login to the account somewhere and delete those down arrows? I know you can do it with Pandora, and I assume the functionality exists with Slacker. But how do we login or browse our online slacker account that we get automatically through Tesla? Is there a way through the car or through Slacker's site?
What if you use the voice command “Play [song] by [artist]” and then when the song comes on change your vote on it?

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What if you use the voice command “Play [song] by [artist]” and then when the song comes on change your vote on it?
Interesting thought, but it doesn't always seem to actually play the song you request. Oftentimes you get something similar. But if I could force it to do that, that might work.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Slacker has two levels: dislike and ban. It is less likely to play a disliked song. As mentioned you might be able to reverse it. Banning the song or artist will truly never play it again. It's part of why I've loved Slacker for many years now...I can pretend this is a world without awolnation...

Star3

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Slacker has two levels: dislike and ban. It is less likely to play a disliked song. As mentioned you might be able to reverse it. Banning the song or artist will truly never play it again. It's part of why I've loved Slacker for many years now...I can pretend this is a world without awolnation...
Why cant Elon put XM radio in the Model 3, then we wouldn't have these issues.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had XM since before they were merged with Sirius (so something like 15ish years) and in the last year or two I have nearly only used my phone/BT for any audio in my car. So I am more than ready to drop sat radio in favor of streaming + BT.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I've already answered when you posted this same question elsewhere:
For the same reason it doesn't have an 8-track deck, cassette player, or CD player - it's old technology that's no longer in high demand.

Streaming is the future. For anything else, there's Bluetooth.

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/blog/a-bluetooth-siriusxm-radio-vehicle-dock-is-here/

Star3

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
As I've already answered when you posted this same question elsewhere:
I disagree with that. XM is used by virtually every other car maker in the world. It is not going away anytime soon. If that was the case, why is it still available in the Model S and X? Yes it would probably cost more to put it in the model 3 but it is a feature a lot of owners would use.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I disagree with that. XM is used by virtually every other car maker in the world. It is not going away anytime soon. If that was the case, why is it still available in the Model S and X? Yes it would probably cost more to put it in the model 3 but it is a feature a lot of owners would use.
Sure, "a lot" may use it. But there's a cost involved with adding it (cost of hardware, cost of additional assembly steps required to add that hardware, and cost of writing the software to control it) and the lack of it is not slowing down sales of the Model 3.

Additionally, there are now XM Radio Bluetooth Docking Stations available, so it is at least possible to have your XM radio in the car with the purchase of this accessory.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Gross. I've had Sirius since 2002, and finally cancelled just last year after realizing I hated listening to it compared to Slacker. The quality of music choice went down when they merged with XM (At least from the rock/alternative genre perspective), and of course there is no way to train it that you never want to hear certain annoying songs. I have tried every music streaming service out there, and Slacker continues to have the deepest selection of music, with much less repeating. Not to mention the horrible audio quality as Sirius/XM is locked in to compression algorithms from 18 years ago when they deployed the satellites and radios.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The quality of music choice went down when they merged with XM
And on the XM side, 'commercial' radio was brought on and you lost the ability to listen online without an extra membership fee. Pretty much all around that merger sucked for the customers - so much for the FTC looking out for consumers on major mergers.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I upgraded to Slacker Premium to avoid the radio format (songs "like" the one I asked for) and have my own playlists. With a Premium subscription if you ask for an artist, it plays just their songs, frequently by order of popularity.

I do miss Spotify (larger song library, easy to add a song to a playlist). With Slacker, I have to edit playlists on my phone or computer. Ugh. Rather just tap a song and have it ask which playlist to add it to.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I added an artist (the Killers) from the slacker DJ menu to my favorites. I didn’t realize that they have different artist spotlights that change weekly.

Anyhow when the artists changed the following week, the artist selection became unavailable. It keeps saying the link is broken.

Additionally I can’t remove it from my favorites. Everything else I can remove and add, but this station I can’t do anything with.

Am I missing something? Is there a procedure to remove it? I don’t have the premium account.. I have the free account.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a response from Tesla and they said:

Unfortunately we do not provide a login for Model 3 owners as the provided account is only an option available to Model S and Model X owners.

Seems very weird, because the car is very clearly using an account.

telero

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I got a response from Tesla and they said:

Unfortunately we do not provide a login for Model 3 owners as the provided account is only an option available to Model S and Model X owners.

Seems very weird, because the car is very clearly using an account.
Is it possible that for the Model 3 they are using a generic account rather than vehicle specific? Seems like they were using vehicle specific in S/X from the thread you referenced as someone mentioned there that they had to get their credentials to login since it wasn't setup initially. But from what I've read (haven't tried) on the Model 3 is that you just press a button that will re-log you in without having to know the username or password if you had changed to another account. Although if it really is generic, I wonder how they'd support the 4 year limitation that is mentioned in the manual? Maybe it uses your VIN number or some other car specific value and a hard coded password?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder how they'd support the 4 year limitation that is mentioned in the manual?
there are also 2012 Model Ss out there that came with 4 free years of 3G data (not sure when the switch to LTE happened) that are still getting free data...

Jason Bourne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've wondered some things about how Slacker works also:
  • Does Slacker interpret any difference between me skipping past a song within the first 20 seconds of it playing (indicating that I know/recognize the song and I don't want to hear it right now) and half-way through it (indicating I don't know/recognize the song but I thought I'd give it a try but I don't like it right now)?
  • Does Slacker interpret any difference between me 'liking' a song within the first 20 seconds of it playing (indicating that I know/recognize the song and I know I like it) and half-way through it (indicating I don't know/recognize the song but I like it now)?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've wondered some things about how Slacker works also:
  • Does Slacker interpret any difference between me skipping past a song within the first 20 seconds of it playing (indicating that I know/recognize the song and I don't want to hear it right now) and half-way through it (indicating I don't know/recognize the song but I thought I'd give it a try but I don't like it right now)?
  • Does Slacker interpret any difference between me 'liking' a song within the first 20 seconds of it playing (indicating that I know/recognize the song and I know I like it) and half-way through it (indicating I don't know/recognize the song but I like it now)?

I can't answer this definitively, but in six years of daily Slacker use, in my experience, skips supposedly vote to play a song less in the future. This may be true for the stations with deep libraries (like Alternative Deep Dive), but definitely have no effect with stations with smaller libraries (New Alternative Now, theme stations). I like to imagine they skips may help them determine if music is unpopular enough to move from a New Music channel into a mainstream channel, but who knows. I strongly doubt the time at which you skip a song has any additional effect.
Ban is the only truly effective way to prevent a channel from playing a song ever again.
Slacker also does not really have a like function in the same way Pandora uses the like. It is called favorite.
Favorites are used in two ways...as a list you can access later (like a browser bookmark), and some stations you can advance tune to play more of your favorites in the say way you can tune them to play more or less new and mainstream music. I'm not sure you can access that stuff from anything other than a computer, and again only for certain larger channels.