single tap of right wand return car to TACC

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
simple enough. If i am driving and tap once i get TACC, twice for AP. but sometimes in AP i want to return to TACC. i would think that a single tap would get me to TACC, but no such luck. I have to cancel AP (tap up or wrench the wheel or brake) but then I lose the speed setting on the cruise.

it would be nice when driving in suburbia (not stop and go city) to quickly toggle between AP and TACC without having to cancel AP.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
simple enough. If i am driving and tap once i get TACC, twice for AP. but sometimes in AP i want to return to TACC. i would think that a single tap would get me to TACC, but no such luck. I have to cancel AP (tap up or wrench the wheel or brake) but then I lose the speed setting on the cruise.
it would be nice when driving in suburbia (not stop and go city) to quickly toggle between AP and TACC without having to cancel AP.
I agree that a single tap would be a lot more convenient than the current two-step, up-down maneuver to cancel Autosteer and re-engage TACC. However, Tesla has already assigned the single-tap motion as a "confirmation" signal while Autosteer is engaged (e.g. to confirm lane changes), and I don't think they would want to introduce a scenario where the driver's input could be ambiguous. I also think it's possible that FSD will require (or allow) a similar "confirmation" gesture for some of its actions. So, I think the single-tap motion is likely out.

Double-tap could be a possibility, though... that gesture currently (I think?) has no meaning when Autosteer is already engaged, so the risk of introducing ambiguity or confusion would be minimal. Tapping the Autosteer icon on the touchscreen might be another possibility, though it would be less convenient, less intuitive, and would require the driver taking their eyes off the road.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
good point Bokonon, i forgot that single tap on the right wand confirms a lane change. i usually use the left wand to confirm the lane change.

Double tap could be used.

single tap == TACC
double tap while not in AP == AP
double while in AP == TACC
up tap cancels AP and TACC regardless of what is engaged

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yeah, "tug" vs "wrench" is subjective :)

I know my wife doesn't like the swerve feeling when i take off AP via the steering wheel, not sure about the guy behind me either.

i'm on 2018.8.5 now, i'll try returning to using the steering wheel, perhaps it is better that it was.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it is much better. the hand-off back to the driver is hardly noticeable now.
I'll have to pay more attention when I do that.

My wife always gets startled by the abrupt change in direction when I use the steering wheel to take over from autopilot. Hopefully this solves that issue. :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll have to pay more attention when I do that.

My wife always gets startled by the abrupt change in direction when I use the steering wheel to take over from autopilot. Hopefully this solves that issue. :)
I'm actually not noticing any difference <shrug/>

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
well I tried it today on some city driving and yes, it seemed better. not so much of a thunk and a swerve.

but last sunday afternoon after the latest update of 2019.8.5 3aaa23d in the morning the lane change with no confirmation was going to miss the exit ramp and it was quite a thunk and a swerve when I grabbed the wheel.

I'm on the freeway early tomorrow morning, i'll experiment some more.

TOFLYIN

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use the single tap now to confirm that I am paying attention when the car asks me to place hand on the wheel. Now before people start flaming me, most of the time (I would say 99%) I have my hand rested on the wheel. If I happen to be dealing with something else and the "nanny" goes off, it is just easier to tap the gear/autopilot stalk down once. Also turning the volume up or down confirms attention. I haven't tried the right knob yet to change car spacing, but I assume it would work as well.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm on the freeway early tomorrow morning, i'll experiment some more.
autopilot kept checking out on me this morning. would go back to AutoSteer and then return after a bit each time with a message that navigate is unavailable and I should contact service if it continues. happened about 5 times in a 20 minute freeway drive. in the city streets before that the AutoSteer available icon was on and off more than usual.

looks like i might be heading into service for sensors. we shall see.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm actually not noticing any difference <shrug/>
Agree with Garsh on this one. If there's is a difference in the latest update, then its not too noticeable to me. Its still too harsh to comfortably use with someone else in the vehicle, so I'm in the habit of disengaging completely with the shifter. It can be quite startling if you are a passenger and don't know whats going on. I'm also self conscious that the driver behind me is probably thinking I don't know how to drive when the car makes sudden sharp turns like that. I remember before NOA was out, autopilot was very indecisive when lanes split on the highway, and would make very sudden sharp turns to one side. I would always disengage completely when I knew a lane split was coming up

autopilot kept checking out on me this morning. would go back to AutoSteer and then return after a bit each time with a message that navigate is unavailable and I should contact service if it continues. happened about 5 times in a 20 minute freeway drive. in the city streets before that the AutoSteer available icon was on and off more than usual.

looks like i might be heading into service for sensors. we shall see.
Was it raining when this happened? Just curious, sometimes I get messages saying NOA is unavailable whenever it rains or snows. It never tells me to contact service though, so your case sounds a bit different.