Simple DIYs to avoid or delay SC visit

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New around here & first-time Tesla owner of June-built 027XXX VIN RWD Model 3 delivered in July. Post under same username @ forums.tesla.com but find "noise" there, like questions easily answered through search or car's manual, scores of (nearly) identical subject threads, make things difficult.

Anyway didn't see a thread like this around so here goes:

1) missing plastic push-in wheel well retainers - Car was missing 3 in each of both rear wheel wells, probably unnecessary but the empty holes bugged me. Could've pulled one & matched but instead stopped by Pep Boys & searched cheapest replacements. Though not correct/same as Tesla OEMs bought $5.50 box of 15 GM 799-125 panel retainers, they fit well & tightly. Can always pull them prior to a future service appointment & get Tesla to install correct ones, if I remembered & cared.

2) "dull" spots in paint finish - Car had 4 small, golf ball sized non-glossy sections in paint. Ten minutes using $6 Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and they were gone, done after first wash & prior to first wax.

3) small gap at top of "triangle" plastic near side mirrors - Yep, only upon see it here did I notice same, but very small gap on mine. A spec of glue (I chose JB Weld) on a toothpick + some pressure & problem solved.

Could/should SC or rover handle this stuff? Sure, as but these probably saved myself & Tesla time, why not DIY? Especially if you've no other/important issues to address near-term & can/desire to handle the most simple of DIY.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. I fixed a few minor issues myself. Mainly because I could, but it also saves Tesla some funds, and my prior experience with dealer service (Audi) is that they tend to introduce problems while fixing issues. Also, I don't like letting other people touch my cars. Because they tend to screw things up (Audi again). Except for airbag recalls, none of my cars have been to a mechanic, dealer or otherwise, in about a decade.

That is, until I noticed that the RF headlight is significantly out of alignment with the fender. That's not really something I want to tackle myself at this point. So I have my first service visit scheduled for this week. Fingers crossed.

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks @GDN. Like @Technical48 said I too don't mind saving Tesla a little $$$ and hassle. If it wasn't for Elon/Tesla we'd not have (BEV) cars of this caliber & price around, esp. not this soon.

Don't work on cars as much as I once did but do try to avoid service trip time + hassle for the little things, always some risk of collateral damage.

Last edited: