Silverthorne CO Supercharger slow?

JCE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi guys/gals. We made our first trip up to the mountains this weekend in our new Model 3 and had our first experience with supercharging. Specifically at the charger in Silverthorne, Colorado. Does anyone have experience at this supercharger?

While convenient, I felt like I was getting pretty slow speeds from what I expected from the SC. For reference, I was around 50% charge when I was charging.

I pulled into a stall (no one else in that stall) and it had a charge rate of around 110 mi/hr. Didn't charge up all the way (was there for like 40 minutes and only got 40-50 miles of range) and before I left, I tried another stall (once again without anyone there) and it was a bit faster at around 160 mi/hr.

I came back the next day before I was going home and the fastest I ever saw the charging rate was around 160-170 mi/hr. Looking online this seems really slow compared to other supercharger videos.

Was just wondering what other people's experiences was at this Supercharger?

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have very little supercharging experience (so far only two charges on one trip) but my limited experience tells me that the Model 3 charge rate starts to slow down considerably once the battery hits about 50%. At that state of charge I saw about 60 kW which translates to a theoretical speed of about 240 mi/hr.
The speeds you were getting were quite a bit lower than that so there could be something up with that supercharger or your car’s ability to supercharge.
However, I would keep in mind that temperature also affects charging, especially high speed charging. If you were pushing the car really hard before charging and the battery was therefore very hot, it can’t be charged as fast and you also lose energy to the cooling system. (This also applies if it was unusually hot outside for this time of year)
On the other hand, if the battery pack was cold (presumably from sub-50° F temps and being particularly easy on the car), you also can’t charge the battery as fast but at least in that case the battery should heat up due to charging rather than it having to waste energy heating the pack

Edit: after viewing another thread on this form I see I may be incorrect about high temperatures being directly responsible for slower charging speeds. If the battery is too hot, it will charge slower, but that is because power is being diverted to the cooling system and if the cooling system still can’t keep the battery cool enough, the charging rate will slow down to the point where the cooling system can keep up. When the battery is cold on the other hand, it is physically harder to push electrons into it which will limit the charge speed until the heat from charging heats the battery up enough to charge at normal speeds.
For those with physics degrees or better understanding of charging, feel free to correct what I have said here

Last edited:

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi guys/gals. We made our first trip up to the mountains this weekend in our new Model 3 and had our first experience with supercharging. Specifically at the charger in Silverthorne, Colorado. Does anyone have experience at this supercharger?

While convenient, I felt like I was getting pretty slow speeds from what I expected from the SC. For reference, I was around 50% charge when I was charging.

I pulled into a stall (no one else in that stall) and it had a charge rate of around 110 mi/hr. Didn't charge up all the way (was there for like 40 minutes and only got 40-50 miles of range) and before I left, I tried another stall (once again without anyone there) and it was a bit faster at around 160 mi/hr.

I came back the next day before I was going home and the fastest I ever saw the charging rate was around 160-170 mi/hr. Looking online this seems really slow compared to other supercharger videos.

Was just wondering what other people's experiences was at this Supercharger?
what was your SOC when you started the charge? were you sharing? there are many variables that can have an effect on the rate of charge. sometimes you will encounter a bad unit, did you try a different unit?

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
what was your SOC when you started the charge? were you sharing? there are many variables that can have an effect on the rate of charge. sometimes you will encounter a bad unit, did you try a different unit?
Pretty much all of your questions are answered right in the first post. lol.

SoC 50%
For reference, I was around 50% charge when I was charging.
Sharing: No (twice)
Try a different unit? Yes
and before I left, I tried another stall (once again without anyone there) and it was a bit faster at around 160 mi/hr.
Post count +1

Last edited:

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That seems pretty slow considering 50% SOC at start, and the fact that you tried another stall with similar results. I would have expected 300-400 miles of range per hour.

Since you said this was your first Supercharging attempt, I'd suggest trying another Supercharger. If the slow charging persists at <50% SOC, it may be something about your car.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Might it have been due to the low ambient temperature? It was in the low 30s wasn't it?

I noticed today, with temperature in the mid to high 30s that my regen was limited, at a charge level when it usually isn't. Even after driving for 15 miles it was still limited, but then I stopped for 10 minutes, and when I got back in the car full regen was available. Was air cooling keeping the battery cold, and it was only stopped that heat was able to accumulate? I really have no idea.

Unless you were coming from Steamboat, you were probably coasting/regenerating down one of the big hills into Silverthorne. The battery might have been pretty cold.

Oh well, worse things than lunch at the Mountain Lyon Cafe while the car charges (at least, that's where I would be).