Silver prototype a custom paint style?

I've loved the silver paint on the prototype ever since seeing at the Model 3 reveal last year. It always seemed much nicer than any other silver car I'd seen.

Then a few weeks ago at the VIP factory tour I remember someone saying they had spoken to the rep standing next to the prototype and he had mentioned that the silver paint on the prototype was a custom mix and was not going to be available for production.

Does anyone remember what was special about the paint job, and if there might be any way to get it aftermarket?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've loved the silver paint on the prototype ever since seeing at the Model 3 reveal last year. It always seemed much nicer than any other silver car I'd seen.

Then a few weeks ago at the VIP factory tour I remember someone saying they had spoken to the rep standing next to the prototype and he had mentioned that the silver paint on the prototype was a custom mix and was not going to be available for production.

Does anyone remember what was special about the paint job, and if there might be any way to get it aftermarket?
That's was me who asked the rep.

He said it was a highly labour intensive paint job done especially for the alpha car. Consensus is that it's what is known as "hyper silver" which is a black base with silver painted over it. Not really conducive to high volume paint production in this scale.

What I can say is the silver on the Model S and 3 is plenty beautiful and unless you could put the alphas beside it to compare you shouldn't worry about it.

That's was me who asked the rep.

He said it was a highly labour intensive paint job done especially for the alpha car. Consensus is that it's what is known as "hyper silver" which is a black base with silver painted over it. Not really conducive to high volume paint production in this scale.

What I can say is the silver on the Model S and 3 is plenty beautiful and unless you could put the alphas beside it to compare you shouldn't worry about it.
Thanks Trevor! I don't know if you remember, but we were in the same VIP lunch. I stopped over at your table and briefly introduced myself and thanked you for the show and work you put in. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work! Here's hoping I can manage an invite to the handover. Do you know how those attendees will be selected?

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Trevor! I don't know if you remember, but we were in the same VIP lunch. I stopped over at your table and briefly introduced myself and thanked you for the show and work you put in. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work! Here's hoping I can manage an invite to the handover. Do you know how those attendees will be selected?
Yes I do remember you! I'm glad to be of help and I hope to attend the delievry event on the 28th

firelegend

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

The Like Tesla youtube channel put a wrap on their car to make it look like the demo'd silver one so you can make it look "more" like that.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The Like Tesla youtube channel put a wrap on their car to make it look like the demo'd silver one so you can make it look "more" like that.
I personally don't think that wrap is even close. I think the factory paint without the wrap is closer. I have silver and it looks incredible. It is the best paint color they ever did. Can you tell I am biased?

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m led to believe that special paint job, which I’ve seen in person and it’s incredible, is what is known as “hyper silver”.

It’s a black base paint that is painted silver on top which gives it depth. By the way, the body panels on the silver Model 3 prototype are fibreglass. They we made from direct moulds off the clay model ;)

Last edited: