Side mirror trim panels separating

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Edit: 10/29/18
------------------
I first noticed this issue back in March 2018. I wanted to update the first post on this thread because it seems many folks have had this issue where the side mirror triangle has started separating. From what I have seen, it seems to be most common on the passenger side mirror. If you run into this issue, please contact Tesla Service and let them know of the issue so they can inspect and find the best solution for you. I personally have had great success working with Tesla Service in getting any issue resolved/repaired. This issue in particular was resolved by replacing my passenger mirror. My Driver's side also had some separation, but less than the passenger side and they added a little adhesive to remedy the problem. So if you do run into this problem, never fear, Tesla is here!

Orig Message: 3/4/18
---------------------------
Anyone had any issue with the trim coming off their side mirrors? I noticed today both my quarter panel trim pieces on the side mirrors are separating from the sides.

00491419-fa22-4ac3-9cc6-5f929e0da73f-jpeg.6116

So... Mirror triangle panel is held in by a plastic retainer ‘hook’. I’m wondering if weather fluctuations cause it to bend further than it should. I was able to get a picture of this since they haven’t replaced it but I have the part on hand. Not sure why it would gap with this type of hook in place. Would have to see where it hooks into.

View attachment 7297

Last edited:

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Outch.. hope Tesla will get it fixed soon.

I'm not expert at manufacturing processes but after years of building Model S and X one would expect Tesla to get few things right. This is certainly not a rocket science and Elon should hold people accountable. Mainstream model 3 owners will be less forgiving....

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you explain that photo a bit more? Is it where the side mirrors connect to the car?

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you explain that photo a bit more? Is it where the side mirrors connect to the car?
It looks like a glossy black triangle cover next to the mirror. Here are a couple pictures to help place it. The trim is pulling away. It should be flush.

Both my driver’s and passenger sides are coming off.

c7831832-9159-4aeb-a03f-5d59345f2b6a-jpeg.6117
e7d116ac-e320-4202-9275-c278ea65e480-jpeg.6118

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If you're worried it might be more than just you (there's nearly 10k Model 3s out there, some defects will be expected), ask the repair guy if he's come across that before.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not expert at manufacturing processes...
... but... you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
but after years of building Model S and X one would expect Tesla to get few things right. This is certainly not a rocket science and Elon should hold people accountable. Mainstream model 3 owners will be less forgiving....
It may not be rocket science, but it's pretty damn hard. I'm sure that people at Tesla *do* feel accountable. They will fix the issue on this one vehicle, and if it turns out to be a common problem, then they'll fix the build process as well.

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the post @Spiffywerks, this is something I'll be looking at and for once I have my car back. Your pictures are very helpful.

mt.west.ev

Country
Country
For the past year (since I submitted by $1K) I have read this forum almost daily. There have been many conclusions drawn .... some concerns and some reassurances.

One concern I have come to realize is the tremendous pressure being put on the after delivery service technicians to correct defects in the manufacturing phase.
Fortunately, from all I have read .... it is reassuring that they are very good. I suppose "practice makes perfect."

There is another thread on the forum regarding loosing enthusiasm for the Tesla. It's not that I am lacking enthusiasm .... but I do have increased concern about the build quality. I am not interested in a vehicle (a very expensive vehicle) that must be made right by the service technicians. My previous experience is that often collateral damage is inflicted when repairs are made. Plus there is the added inconvenience of the Service Center being miles away.

I'm "hanging in" for the time being .... my vehicle is still more than a year away. But I need to witness an improved product before I commit.
Which brings up,manother point: I am unwilling to purchase a vehicle sight-unseen. I'm assuming that in time the purchasing experience will be different, and a buyer can select a vehicle from an on-site inventory. I hope that will be the case.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
For the past year (since I submitted by $1K) I have read this forum almost daily. There have been many conclusions drawn .... some concerns and some reassurances.

One concern I have come to realize is the tremendous pressure being put on the after delivery service technicians to correct defects in the manufacturing phase.
Fortunately, from all I have read .... it is reassuring that they are very good. I suppose "practice makes perfect."

There is another thread on the forum regarding loosing enthusiasm for the Tesla. It's not that I am lacking enthusiasm .... but I do have increased concern about the build quality. I am not interested in a vehicle (a very expensive vehicle) that must be made right by the service technicians. My previous experience is that often collateral damage is inflicted when repairs are made. Plus there is the added inconvenience of the Service Center being miles away.

I'm "hanging in" for the time being .... my vehicle is still more than a year away. But I need to witness an improved product before I commit.
Which brings up,manother point: I am unwilling to purchase a vehicle sight-unseen. I'm assuming that in time the purchasing experience will be different, and a buyer can select a vehicle from an on-site inventory. I hope that will be the case.
All car makers go through this with every redesign. When I put down a reservation for a newly redesigned 2004 Toyota Sienna, production was halted for at least 6 months due to a fuel tank recall. Then when I got the car, I lost track of how many recalls from power sliding door to rust in the doorjamb to seatbelts. This was our first and last Toyota despite the brand's history of quality.

If you do not have patience for issues like this, I STRONGLY recommend that you don't buy ANY car within the first year of it's release or redesign. My father gave me that advice 30 years ago and he kept shaking his head every time he heard me talk about that minivan.

On the plus side, Tesla has their mobile repair service that very few other car makers have (yet). 85% of issues will be able to be fixed from the convenience of home or work.

mt.west.ev

Country
Country
Brokedoc - I appreciate what you are saying. I haven't given up .... and, I am certain the issues will be resolved long before my number comes-up. By brother owns a 2016 P85D and has nothing but praise for the vehicle.

Interestingly, I have always adhered to the "first year" advise. Then in 2010, I purchased a brand new 3rd generation Prius. 150,000 miles later, it was still a wonderful, reliable vehicle, free from any issues. Had Toyota not "lost their way" on the 4th generation Prius design, I doubt I would be even considering an M3. OTOH, the Prius was such a positive (hybrid) experience, it put me in a mood to seek an EV.

Finally .... I am well aware that we mostly hear about the problems on a forum such as this. I know my brother has never joined, or submitted a comment about his positive experience. Which is too bad. We need the balance of the positive and the negative.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Brokedoc - I appreciate what you are saying. I haven't given up .... and, I am certain the issues will be resolved long before my number comes-up. By brother owns a 2016 P85D and has nothing but praise for the vehicle.

Interestingly, I have always adhered to the "first year" advise. Then in 2010, I purchased a brand new 3rd generation Prius. 150,000 miles later, it was still a wonderful, reliable vehicle, free from any issues. Had Toyota not "lost their way" on the 4th generation Prius design, I doubt I would be even considering an M3. OTOH, the Prius was such a positive (hybrid) experience, it put me in a mood to seek an EV.

Finally .... I am well aware that we mostly hear about the problems on a forum such as this. I know my brother has never joined, or submitted a comment about his positive experience. Which is too bad. We need the balance of the positive and the negative.
I think you are one of the more rational members here. Many of us have been bitten by the "Tesla bug" and probably are a bit too forgiving. Despite the Model 3 being more affordable than previous Teslas, it's still a very hefty chunk of change and as such, many of us are very foolish to buy it on blind faith.

Just a thought - If you every wanted to move up in line, your brother could help you by linking his account to your reservation. And if you really wanted to drive one before you bought, there are many Turo rentals in Ca (and likely in NV also). I don't suspect that Tesla will have Model 3s for test drive until Summer 2019.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
b88740d8-46b6-45ad-91f2-325c19709bf0-jpeg.6429

Just kidding. Got into an awesome back and forth Star Wars meme chat with my brother the other day and wanted to find an excuse to use this!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Tell you what. I picked up my 3 today and I was really impressed!! The build quality is fabulous. I think you will be impressed too. Like Brokedoc said, go find one to experience for a day and you will see that allot of the initial things are fixed and it it exceptional. I will be evaluating it at every turn however and will be posting what I find. Good or bad.