Side Mirror Heaters?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do the Model 3 side mirrors have heaters and if so how do you activate them? Today when driving home from work mine were all misted/steamed up and they never cleared. Very hard to see who was beside me in the evening.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do the Model 3 side mirrors have heaters and if so how do you activate them? Today when driving home from work mine were all misted/steamed up and they never cleared. Very hard to see who was beside me in the evening.
Yes, heated mirrors are part of the premium upgrades package, which all Model 3s built to date have. They are activated by turning on the rear defroster.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would be nice if they broke the control out for them on it's own and ideally made it automatic. Rear window was clear when they were fogged and I am reluctant to use the rear window heater since mine rear glass has cracked twice now (and replaced) from using it. Just don't trust it anymore.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had 2 previous vehicles with heated mirrors, 1 GM and 1 Ford pickup. They operated the same way, mirror heaters only came on with the rear defroster.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had 2 previous vehicles with heated mirrors, 1 GM and 1 Ford pickup. They operated the same way, mirror heaters only came on with the rear defroster.
My Hyundai and Nissan work the same way too.

I am reluctant to use the rear window heater since mine rear glass has cracked twice now (and replaced) from using it. Just don't trust it anymore.
While that's terrible, I think you're taking the wrong approach. I suggest running the rear window defroster as much as possible. If the glass is weak or installed incorrectly, you want it to break and be replaced under warranty. So exercise it as much as possible while it's still under warranty.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am reluctant to use the rear window heater since mine rear glass has cracked twice now (and replaced) from using it. Just don't trust it anymore.
Either you have SUPER bad luck, somebody is installing the window wrong or some other abuse IMO. I mean you're in ATL, guys on here in Canada and the northern states have been running defrosters all winter in BRUTAL -20F of less with no issues.

As @garsh said better now than later as far as warranty goes. Is the window tinted? Type/Brand? Even installer could be stressing the glass prior to breakage. :confused: Not normal for sure!

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Either you have SUPER bad luck, somebody is installing the window wrong or some other abuse IMO. I mean you're in ATL, guys on here in Canada and the northern states have been running defrosters all winter in BRUTAL -20F of less with no issues.

As @garsh said better now than later as far as warranty goes. Is the window tinted? Type/Brand? Even installer could be stressing the glass prior to breakage. :confused: Not normal for sure!
There's something to be said about having to run a rear window heater in Atlanta when it isn't so cold out actually. If it was so cold out it would seem more difficult for the heater to shatter the glass. However there are plenty of people who have had this rear glass crack because of the rear defrost. It is actually more common on the model 3 than you think.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would use the defroster as well. If it cracks for no abuse, but defroster use, Tesla should replace it. I will go to my F150 forum where I used to hang out and post a link to a thread from there. Most there finally agreed it had to be the manufacturing process, but there was a big problem with the rear window on the '09 to '14 shattering from defroster use. I was kind of with some of them, I quit using mine, at least first thing on a cold morning when I would remotely start it, but I never had the problem myself. With the pickup the owner could decide whether or not the defroster came on on a cold morning (it could not be chosen remotely, it had to be set in the settings so next time you remotely started it would operate as you had it set). Maybe we'll get that access soon too.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's something to be said about having to run a rear window heater in Atlanta when it isn't so cold out actually. If it was so cold out it would seem more difficult for the heater to shatter the glass. However there are plenty of people who have had this rear glass crack because of the rear defrost. It is actually more common on the model 3 than you think.
I don't disagree, but from what I read its USUALLY due to tint jobs...so tinted or not? Who installed the replacement glass?

Just trying to get the full story rather than blaming Tesla defects off the bat because I also know how many go that route... Guy locally recently was on the news for crashing on AP, said he couldn't take control, but ommitted the part about using AP in an area under construction with traffic lights. Tesla called him out and will prove him wrong with the data as usual.

Last edited:

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never had evidence the heaters on my side mirrors work. My rear defroster has come on in the past and I've deliberately turned the rear on when exiting a car wash in the winter and the ice on my mirrors never melted.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never had evidence the heaters on my side mirrors work. My rear defroster has come on in the past and I've deliberately turned the rear on when exiting a car wash in the winter and the ice on my mirrors never melted.
Then take it to your service center and ask them to take a look.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nearest service center is 240 miles away. Can't even make that trip in the winter. Nearest SC is 187 miles away.
Ugh! You have to be really committed to own a Tesla under those circumstances. :)

See if they'll schedule a mobile service for you.