Shoulder Harness Adjustment

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Friends,

I love my 3. It is one of the best automobiles I have ever owned. But I have one complaint that I have yet to resolve. The driver side shoulder harness chafes the left side of my neck. No matter where I move the adjustment, the belt still contacts my neck rather than my shoulder. I am of normal height (5' 9") and proportion. I do prefer to sit low and close to the wheel as a racing driver would. I have tried all manor of combinations of seat height, tilt, seat back rake, and steering wheel location. Nothing really gets the shoulder belt in the right place. It seems the adjuster might need to have even more vertical adjustment, (lower in my case?). Have any of you experienced this? Any solutions?

Cheers,
PO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd bring the seat height up. I agree the seat belt adjusters have pretty limited travel, but I like to sit a little higher in the car so even though I'm about the same height as you I find the belt falls nicely on my shoulder based on where I adjusted my seat.

McQ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Friends,

I love my 3. It is one of the best automobiles I have ever owned. But I have one complaint that I have yet to resolve. The driver side shoulder harness chafes the left side of my neck. No matter where I move the adjustment, the belt still contacts my neck rather than my shoulder. I am of normal height (5' 9") and proportion. I do prefer to sit low and close to the wheel as a racing driver would. I have tried all manor of combinations of seat height, tilt, seat back rake, and steering wheel location. Nothing really gets the shoulder belt in the right place. It seems the adjuster might need to have even more vertical adjustment, (lower in my case?). Have any of you experienced this? Any solutions?

Cheers,
PO

I know this is many months old now, but I'm interested to know if you found a solution. I've had myModel 3 for three months and the shoulder harness rides up over my collar bone and part of my neck. This is definitely not safe in an accident.

Anyone get a solution to this issue? And yes, I've adjusted the seat to many different positions. The only way the shoulder harness doesn't lay over my collar bone and neck is when the seat is so far back and so high that my feet can't touch the pedals.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only way the shoulder harness doesn't lay over my collar bone and neck is when the seat is so far back and so high that my feet can't touch the pedals.
Adjust the shoulder harness anchor to the lowest position.
Adjust the seatback up straighter. You need to remove most of the "lean back".
Adjust the seat as high as you can.
Then adjust the seat forward rather than back.

With the seat adjusted correctly, the headrest is uncomfortably pushing on the back of my head. I've found a solution to that issue though.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know this is many months old now, but I'm interested to know if you found a solution. I've had myModel 3 for three months and the shoulder harness rides up over my collar bone and part of my neck. This is definitely not safe in an accident.

Anyone get a solution to this issue? And yes, I've adjusted the seat to many different positions. The only way the shoulder harness doesn't lay over my collar bone and neck is when the seat is so far back and so high that my feet can't touch the pedals.
I've had mine for almost 4 months now. After adjusting the seat so it didn't push my head forward, the belt was still rubbing my neck. I purchased these belt anchors that work quite well:

I think they look good with the black interior. I put one on the front passenger belt (many of my friends have the same problem) and it stays out of the way when the rider doesn't need it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After adjusting the seat so it didn't push my head forward...
Which undoubtedly means that you kept leaning the seat back until you no longer felt the headrest pushing against your head, right?

I hate these new federal head restraint laws. They're absolutely terrible for anybody who tries to sit in a car with correct posture (or who doesn't want the seat belt to rub their neck). As I linked above, it's possible to "adjust" the headrest posts to push the headrests back a little. That in turn will allow you to keep the seat back more upright without pushing your head forward, and THAT in turn will allow the shoulder belt to lay on your shoulder instead of your neck.

As an alternative, other people have simply re-inserted the headrest backwards. That will also move it further back to prevent it from pushing your head forward. That's probably worth a shot just to see if you can find a more comfortable belt position without the headrest pushing your head.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Which undoubtedly means that you kept leaning the seat back until you no longer felt the headrest pushing against your head, right?
Yes. I pushed the seat back until the front face of the headrest is just about vertical (as it ought to be). Then I inflated the lumbar support and adjusted it so that my lower back was fully supported. I find this to be a comfortable driving position. I don't mind that my upper back doesn't touch the seat. (Unless I slouch, which I sometimes do as a type of stretch during long car rides.) I like to have my shoulders free to move in any direction.

Though I'm not disagreeing with you about the head restraint laws, though. I went through physical therapy to get and keep this posture!