Country

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Ole1,

Assuming there’s no way that Modern Spare fits in the Frunk? Can you do a test and run your efficiency ‘Without the Spare’ and then ‘With the Spare’? My concern is the weight penalty as well and the efficiency hit dragging that thing around all the time (as well as the space it takes up in the trunk).

Edit: let me be more specific....I didn’t mean efficiency with tire “on” the car installed (least of my concerns) but your kWh/mi “carrying” the spare in the trunk versus not due to the weight penalty. (What’s it weigh anyway)?

Ski

Last edited:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ole1,

Assuming there’s no way that Modern Spare fits in the Frunk? Can you do a test and run your efficiency ‘Without the Spare’ and then ‘With the Spare’? My concern is the weight penalty as well and the efficiency hit dragging that thing around all the time (as well as the space it takes up in the trunk).

Ski
It will not fit in the frunk. Or the lower well in trunk. It will barely fit if was just the rim alone.

Efficiency is really hard to measure when it's that small. Normal variables will be often larger than the difference.

I was watching for one of those collapsible tires and even that would not fit. I was also considering deflating it and that won't fit either.

A collapsible or deflated tire might fit if you took the liner out ;)

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ole1,

Edit: let me be more specific....I didn’t mean efficiency with tire “on” the car installed (least of my concerns) but your kWh/mi “carrying” the spare in the trunk versus not due to the weight penalty. (What’s it weigh anyway)?

Ski
I was very close to ordering that spare from Modern Spare, where it looked so tidy with it in the cover etc.
I did contact Modern Spare and bimmerzone for the weight of the wheel. Neither one could give me an exact number. Modern spare said the compete kit was 42 lbs. and Bimmerzone has the spare was 30-40 lbs.

I really thought, what could that 30 lbs possibly do to range. Until...

I've been experimenting a lot with heat and efficiency, most for fun and learning the car.

last week I kept the HEAT OFF completely (no seat heaters either). Kind of anxious to see what I would get come spring. It was mostly around 35F.
I still had like 70% limited Regen every day. But after better learning how that works. I realized as long as I don't hit brakes any sooner you always have 100% regen.

So I got 200 wh/mi (very excited to see that, on AWD yet), every single day, round trip. 5 miles to, 5 miles back. 5 days in row. There is no traffic and no lights. So it's pretty consistent.

Then I took my two small dogs to work on this past Monday. 50 lbs total. The wh/mi went up to 236 wh/mi. Yikes. 18% hit for 50 lbs.
This was just one test. And it is slow speeds. Several turns and stop signs. So the weight might be more significant around town than on the highway.

But it really surprised me.

I also noticed one day that it rained, very light, and that had a slight impact to.

Even if the 30 lb spare cost me 5%, that's a lot. Still on the fence.
I should throw one of the OEM Summer tires I have in the trunk for a long term test.

One person said he bought the spare, and keeps it at home and will call his wife to bring it, if he gets a flat. Not a terribly bad idea. Faster than waiting for tesla to show up (in some cases).

I was also getting the itch to get 19" OEM wheels. But I'm on the fence with that too.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I say definitely yes. I blew (another) tire just yesterday in my 2012 Prius coming home from work. The huge nail I picked up also blew a descent size hole in the side wall. The time it took to safely pull over, change the tire, and get back on the road might have been 10 minutes. Call it bad luck but I've blown 2 tires in my truck and now the first in my car in about a 6 year period. When I purchase a Model 3, I will have almost certainly have purchased a spare, even before I even take delivery of the car. I should add that all of the blow-outs/flats have occurred on typical highways (US HWY 101). None of the problems have occurred off road.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have my aaa card, a plug kit, and a pump when I am driving. I also have a set of extra aero wheels as a back up in my garage, in case a tire shop doesn’t have my tire in stock or rim is damaged.

mkg3

Country
Country
@Ole1,

Assuming there’s no way that Modern Spare fits in the Frunk? Can you do a test and run your efficiency ‘Without the Spare’ and then ‘With the Spare’? My concern is the weight penalty as well and the efficiency hit dragging that thing around all the time..................kWh/mi “carrying” the spare in the trunk versus not due to the weight penalty. (What’s it weigh anyway)?
Nothing scientific but my wife drives the car roughly 70 miles/day commuting and with and without the Modern Spare, we've not noticed any difference in power use.

Before ~30%/day of charge
After ~ 30%/day of charge

This is over the last 3 months of daily commute.

If you're wondering why it consumes 30% capacity for 70 miles (equates to only 233 miles range on LR/RWD , the commute average speed is over 80 mph with the 19" wheels on 95% on the freeway.

Ole1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To answer older question, webbing which ties down spare is attached to child seat anchors.

On another note, on Wednesday, my wife complained that the tire pressure monitor alarm went off - three tires at 45, one at 41 psi (i guess the monitors also look for delta, not just 38 min). I checked it, and the sensor readings were correct, so i looked for a screw or nail in the tire, couldn't see one, so i took our little compressor out of my roadside kit and filled it to match the other three tires. checked it again the next day - pressure was still ok - she drove to work and back the rest of the week (25 miles each way)
But, Sunday when I was rotating tires, I found "the nail" in the rear tire which was low (before) ... pressure was still at 45 .... pulled on the nail, and psssssss .... took it to the tire shop, got it plugged, and all is ok again. (stock 18" aero wheels and tires)

Super happy that we had the compressor and tire gauge in the car, and that I found a tire shop open at 3:30 pm on Sunday. As an afterthought, I should have more thoroughly checked for a nail on Wednesday night once I had our Tesla back in our garage.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
As I was reading this a while ago my spare arrived. Looks great.
Which kit did you purchase? I've seen a couple vendors selling Tesla spare tires...I just purchased the
me too .... Commuting 50 miles per day in los angeles, 35 years on a motorcycle, i have probably plugged (and ridden till they were ready to replace) tires 15 or 20 times. In the past 18 years, I have probably picked up nails/screws in our car tires 6 or 7 times (and had them plugged), and had to change tires 3 times.
So, I carry the best "kit" I can find ...
View attachment 21089

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21094

View attachment 21096
Looks great. Did you get the jack upgrade as Modern recommends?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Nothing scientific but my wife drives the car roughly 70 miles/day commuting and with and without the Modern Spare, we've not noticed any difference in power use.

Before ~30%/day of charge
After ~ 30%/day of charge

This is over the last 3 months of daily commute.

If you're wondering why it consumes 30% capacity for 70 miles (equates to only 233 miles range on LR/RWD , the commute average speed is over 80 mph with the 19" wheels on 95% on the freeway.
My commute is 64mi/day. Combo parkway (70mph) and stop/go NYC traffic (4mph). In the winter used 30% charge. Now that its warmer and with slightly lighter summer traffic, using about 23% charge. Dual motor, 19" wheels.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had my first flat today. I ordered a rim with my new tire. I didn't realize I had to go to Tesla to get a new tire and that it would take several days to get the new one. I had my flat on a Friday and won't get the tire until next week. I have to rely on a loaner tire, which wasn't too hard to get thankfully. So my thought is next time this happens, (it couldn't be plugged and the local tire shop didn't have the right tire) I can at least drive for a few days on my tire incase Roadside doesn't have one. Any other car I've owned, getting to a tire shop and getting a replacement isn't too hard. But service centers being backlogged AND closed on the weekend is unsat.

atnbirdie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it all comes down to how much risk you want to take. Some folks have been driving for decades and never had a flat. Others have had multiple flats in 1-2 years. Who knows what your experience will be. Personally, I like the idea of having a spare if I'm going to be on the road away from home on a tip, especially if traveling along less traveled roads. I have the Tesla sealant/compressor kit that came with my car in it on a day to day basis. I also opted to buy a Modern Spare Tesla M3 spare (with carrying case). Yes, it takes up room in the trunk, but if it fits and if you need it, you'll love it. Modern spare with case will run you about $390 US. Nice thing about them is they are the same diameter as OEM tires (though narrower), can be inflated to 60 psi, can drive up to 80 mph on one, and don't have to get to a garage within 100 miles as is the case with many mini spares that come with cars today.