Should I buy a spare tire?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My own anecdata: I've had five flats in my life.
  • First was in winter. My truck slid into a curb and ruined the tire. I had a spare, and I did make sure to check air pressure in the spare periodically. However, I never tried to actually remove the spare before that point. The entire mechanism was completely rusted shut. I had to call a tow truck to get me anyhow.
  • Next two were very slow leaks caused by picking up a screw. Leaks were so slow that I was able to wait until I got back home to worry about it. At that point I just fixed them with plugs. I didn't even bother to get proper patches put on the inside of the tires. The plugs worked perfectly for the rest of the tires' lifetime.
  • I hit a pothole with my Leaf and ripped a hole in the sidewall. I didn't have a spare, and couldn't plug it. I had to wait a few hours for a tow truck. I was planning on replacing all of the tires within a few months anyhow, so I just went ahead and did that a bit early. But I paid a bit of a price premium because of the timing.
  • My son (on his learner's permit) hit road debris in our Tucson. Again, ripped a hole in the sidewall. The Tucson had a donut spare, so we were able to replace it rather quickly and continue on our way with minimal delay. I was able to take my time afterwards and look for a decent price on an identical replacement tire.
Overall, I should lean towards getting a spare for my vehicles. I've had 3 incidents where a spare would be useful within 30 years. It's a lot more convenient when you need one. But as I said, two of my incidents were easily (and cheaply) handled using a plug kit.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use the case that Tesla provided for the Mobile Connector to hold a slime kit and my jack pads (for tire rotations).
I hope I never have to use the slime kit, it's just to maybe let me limp to civilization to get the tire repaired faster than waiting for a tow.
The Mobile Connector stays at home. Not really useful any other place.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regardless if they damage the valve or TPMS, will the goo even get past the acoustic foam and to the inside surface of the tread? I would think having this type of tire would not be fixable/sealable with the inflation goo.
I don’t have any experience using the product and of course I hope to not have to use it, but I think it will work even with the foam.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My first car without a spare. Definitely a concern, but I did get the Tesla fixit kit.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-tire-repair-kit.html
So why does it say “The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience. Replacement tire and TPMS sensor are not covered under Tesla vehicle warranty”.

Just asking, some people are saying the foam is TPMS safe but that’s not been my experience (ask the guys at the tire shop. I couldn’t even get them to reuse the barrel of a TPMS sensor that I custom painted to match my rim, can’t imagine reusing a sensor covered in muck). A plug is the safer way to go.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are advantages to using a full sized spare but it will take up more room and its heavier. If you have the performance version with bigger brakes the aero will not clear the brakes on the back. You'll have to put it in the front. People usually sell sets of wheel/tire so finding one may be hard.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So why does it say “The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience. Replacement tire and TPMS sensor are not covered under Tesla vehicle warranty”.

Just asking, some people are saying the foam is TPMS safe but that’s not been my experience (ask the guys at the tire shop. I couldn’t even get them to reuse the barrel of a TPMS sensor that I custom painted to match my rim, can’t imagine reusing a sensor covered in muck). A plug is the safer way to go.
if you have a flat in a place that isn't a desirable place to be that can of gunk might be your only recourse. yes it is bad for the tire but I'd rather sacrifice the tire than be stuck in a place that I really don't want to be

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find the nail/screw/whatever, rolling the car forward or back as needed then remove the foreign object and plug the hole. Then air it up and drive off. I have worn out every tire I have plugged except one. It had a really large hole and plugs then were rubber stoppers that required glue. The plug stayed in but would leak. That is the only plugged tire I have ever had to replace.

Ole1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have ordered a spare from Modern Spare. I also carry a compressor and tire plug kit.
me too .... Commuting 50 miles per day in los angeles, 35 years on a motorcycle, i have probably plugged (and ridden till they were ready to replace) tires 15 or 20 times. In the past 18 years, I have probably picked up nails/screws in our car tires 6 or 7 times (and had them plugged), and had to change tires 3 times.
So, I carry the best "kit" I can find ...
20181020_165336-1-jpg.21089

20181020_165027-1-jpg.21091

20181020_164838-1-jpg.21094

20181020_164916-1-jpg.21096

mkg3

Country
Country
me too .... Commuting 50 miles per day in los angeles, 35 years on a motorcycle, i have probably plugged (and ridden till they were ready to replace) tires 15 or 20 times. In the past 18 years, I have probably picked up nails/screws in our car tires 6 or 7 times (and had them plugged), and had to change tires 3 times.

View attachment 21094

View attachment 21096
I too have put the Modern Spare kit in the boot. My wife insisted on having a spare (its her commuter and we too are in SoCal - and have had flat once every 12 to 18 months over the years). All from regular streets and highways.

My approach to keeping the kit from sliding around was to get an adhesive velcro sheet to put on the bottom of the spare carrying case. It stays put and does not move. Got the idea from the portable battery charger case the car came with. Just had to find a velcro sheet wide enough so that it would work. I found at 4" wide sheet and placed it on the bottom side at NESW locations. Each about 2x4" patch of velcro.

Also keep my 4 jackpads in the carry case too.

wackojacko

Country
Country
I bought a Goo kind of air pump, a plug kit and installed run-flat winter tires on separate rims. Figure I don't want to worry about a tire in the winter. When the time comes to replace the al-seasons that came I might just get run-flats. Had them on 2 BMW without issue over about 8 years so I'm a fan.

As mentioned the air pump is handy just to add air when needed.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If so, then get a spare. Otherwise, a tow truck is just a phone call and a few hours away.
I never consider a tow truck as a "solution". I dread someone towing my car.
Supposedly Tesla Roadside carries spares that they loan you.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 21096
WOW, Nice !!

After seeing this so nicely packed I'm very tempted to do the same. I have everything except the spare ;)
I even carry a can of fix-a-flat figuring it should work with the winter tires (no acoustic foam).

Nice idea strapping it down like that too. Did you hook to the child seat hooks or seatbelt anchors?

I love the tire over. Makes it look OEM.

I wonder how much this cost in range from the weight. I suppose I could remove the can of fix-a-flat. What else could I remove ;)

We fill the trunk to the brim when we weekend travel which is exactly when I'd like to have the spare. Ugh.