Service Centers wants to paint entire frontend

Model333

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I took delivery of a white model 3 about 1 month ago. At delivery I noticed the bumper was way off alignment. I was considering refusing delivery but the salesperson brought out a mechanic and they assured me it was going to be an easy on / off type of thing. I had them write on the due bill, " bumper needs alignment".

I took the car into the service center for a turn signal issue, a steering wheel noise, and the bumper alightment. A week later when I was called in to the pick up the car, I noticed nothing was done for the bumper alignment. I pointed it out and they sent me back home, and told me it would be a few days.

It's been another week now, car has been sitting at the body shop in the sun missing the front bumper. I called Tesla and after being told 3 times I would get a call back, someone finally spoke with me and told me my fenders had to be repainted, and my hood had to be blended in order to align the bumper.

The manager is going to call me tomorrow because I've told them I refuse having the car repainted because that's not what was originally promised to me. I didn't pay 60k to have a body shop repaint my cars entire front end. The salesperson and mechanic did not mention there would be repainting involved. At this point I want another car.

Wanted to get some opinions from you guys to see if anyone has had this issue before? What can be done? Do I have to take this the legal way?

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wouldn't it be better to make sure the colors blend & match? Lots of complaints about white bumper/hood not matching properly. For me if it turns out good then I would be ok with it. I think people take the whole repaint a bit too seriously. Some of the best looking show cars are repainted. The best looking Model S I've seen was a repainted red.

Anyways that's just my opinion.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Wanted to get some opinions from you guys to see if anyone has had this issue before? What can be done? Do I have to take this the legal way?
It's not clear to me what the issue is. It sounds like they are bending over backward trying to make it perfect for you but you won't let them. And since you have driven it, it can no longer be sold as a new car. So, yeah, of course, they don't want to give you another new car. I'm not sure what a lawyer is going to do for you if you won't let them make it perfect.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If I were in your situation...

I'd be polite but clear, accomodating but not rolling over. I'd point out to them the conditions on which I accepted the car, but give them two chances to make the car look the way you expected at delivery: once chance without repaint (like they told you would be possible when you got the car), and once chance with repaint if the former doesn't cut it. If Tesla can't make the car look as-expected with either of those situations, let them know that you're going to insist on a new car.

Honestly, though, I agree with others here. A repaint - so long as it's a good job - is not a bad thing. You may even get a better paint job out of it; factory paint shops (from all manufacturers, at all price ranges) are focused more on getting cars through quickly than on making sure that each car emerges flawless, and minor factory defects are quite common (even on cars that cost in the six figures). Hence the reason that the first step of applying PPF is paint correction.

I'd also recommend that you think of the full consequences of seeking a new car. Particularly if it ends up that they have to treat this as a return (concluding the sale and requiring you to have to initiate a new one) rather than a simple replacement (which they might have to). Consequences in terms of delays, tax consequences, incentives offered by Tesla that may not still be around, manufacturing config changes since you ordered (e.g. to the glass, to the interior, etc), etc.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What can be done? Do I have to take this the legal way?
I recommending taking a day or two to calm down. I agree, they shouldn't be repainting the car without you requesting it. But the Model 3s have had pretty bad paint quality from the factory. My front and rear bumpers both have a lot of little "dust nibs" in the paint. I would suggest viewing this as "making lemonade out of lemons", and accept them repainting the bumper if necessary.

I think you're much better off having them fix this current car than insisting on a new car. A new car will likely have its own set of problems. By the time this issue gets sorted, a new car might not be delivered until 2019, and you could lose out on the full federal credit. I would instead try to get an additional concession out of them, such as Tesla paying for a full paint-correction from a local detailer after having the car repainted.

Model333

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's the thing. I was told that the bumper would be aligned. I was never told the entire front end would be repainted. In California if you sell a car within 3 years of it being new, it has to be disclosed. Why does this have to fall on me when I bought a new car? Also a bumper repaint isn't a big deal, bumpers are plastic, when it comes to actual body panels then it becomes a repaint. (at least in my opinion) I didn't buy a new car to have the front end painted, I mean the service center has had the car longer than I have.

I just want them to align the bumper with no paint work. God knows what happens a few years down the line if the clear stars peeling off because they didn't paint the car properly

Ill keep you guys updated later today

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's the thing. I was told that the bumper would be aligned. I was never told the entire front end would be repainted.
Yeah, and that's strange. There must have been some bad miscommunication somewhere.

Have they actually started to paint it yet?
God knows what happens a few years down the line if the clear stars peeling off because they didn't paint the car properly
It will still be covered under the 4yr/50k mile warranty.

I think you're under the impression that the factory paint will be of higher quality than the body-shop paint job. That's probably not going to be true, if the body shop is any good. Tesla's factory paint jobs are pretty notoriously bad.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yeah, and that's strange. There must have been some bad miscommunication somewhere.

Have they actually started to paint it yet?
I'm thinking we only have half the story. There are generally two sides to every story and this one is not making complete sense. Why would Tesla want to go to the expense of painting the front of the car when the owner did not complain about a paint mismatch? I'm thinking there's more here than a request for a bumper alignment.

Tesla's factory paint jobs are pretty notoriously bad.

I was appalled at the defects in your car! But I think you got one in the bottom 5% from what I can see. It might be more accurate to say Tesla's factory paint jobs can be inconsistent. Because I've inspected lots of new Model 3's sitting around delivery centers and in collection lots. And I didn't see anything like the flaws your car had. And I think they use top quality paints. The two white ones we purchased are beautifully done, I know because I've detailed both of them. Both of them have a very consistent finish with only a couple of nearly microscopic pinholes and there is one little flaw about an inch long that looks like a little paint sling was polished off that is barely visible in the best light. I only mention it because it is visible at all. No one who is not carefully waxing the finish will ever notice it and the entire rest of both cars is perfect (save for the two micro-pinholes). I think the visual quality of the two we have is the equal of our Volvo S80 (which is not without a couple of micro-flaws) and visibly better than our 2013 Mazda (which is basically perfect but doesn't have that "glow" about it). It's very one-dimensional. And the Tesla paint seems to be plenty hard and resilient to rocks. The Mazda paint seems plenty hard too but perhaps a little more brittle.

But any quality paint shop should be able to duplicate that using the same paint.