Service center experience

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the AC in my Model 3 all of sudden not blowing cold air. i called around and the closet appointment date near me was one month out, and that's only for me to bring the car in to check, if they need to order parts then it'll be even longer. despite we're already in Fall, the weather here in L.A. area are still pretty hot, so i've been driving my car with windows down these days. i was finally able to book an appointment at another Tesla service center kind of far from my home. they told me my AC valve needs to be replaced, and the parts should be there in about a week. but they don't offer any loaner car nor cover for other rental cars. the only thing they offer is $100 Uber credit per day.

in my past experiences booking an appointment at BMW and Lexus dealers can be as early as next day, and most dealers offer loaner cars or Enterprise onsite. don't get me wrong, i love my Model 3 just as the next person, but i think for the price we pay, their service center should be better.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get most of your drama and just how bad the experience was except for one thing. I know I don’t have any time behind the wheel of an S or X but I don’t get drooling over them. I’m very glad they sell as they have more profit in them but give me a million bucks and I will upgrade my 3 with a new P3, but truly don’t think I’d even look at the S or X. Now the Roadster I’d have to consider but no one left me the million so just keeping it realistic.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the AC in my Model 3 all of sudden not blowing cold air. i called around and the closet appointment date near me was one month out, and that's only for me to bring the car in to check, if they need to order parts then it'll be even longer. despite we're already in Fall, the weather here in L.A. area are still pretty hot, so i've been driving my car with windows down these days. i was finally able to book an appointment at another Tesla service center kind of far from my home. they told me my AC valve needs to be replaced, and the parts should be there in about a week. but they don't offer any loaner car nor cover for other rental cars. the only thing they offer is $100 Uber credit per day.

in my past experiences booking an appointment at BMW and Lexus dealers can be as early as next day, and most dealers offer loaner cars or Enterprise onsite. don't get me wrong, i love my Model 3 just as the next person, but i think for the price we pay, their service center should be better.

Growing pains. Give them the number of years in business as the others and it will improve. Til then it’s going to be tougher.

Last edited:

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...but I don’t get drooling over them.
Yeah, drooling for me. I’ve always liked the Model S, and the X to a slightly lesser degree. I’m a range anxiety person so the 370-mile range of the S is very appealing. I like the exterior colors available and the tan (cream?) interior option a lot. I also find an S easier to get into and out of than my 3. No one has left me the million either, so the 3 is as close as I’ll likely ever get, but it’s pretty awesome in its own right. And drooling is still legal in North Carolina for us folks of a more advanced chronology as a form of worship, regardless which bathroom we may use today.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

just follow up on this. the service center promised me the parts will be there the week of 10/14, but two days later informed me it'll be delayed until early following week, so i made my appointment for Saturday 10/26. on the Wednesday and Friday leading up to the appointment i called to make sure parts are indeed arrived and both times they told me yes they were.

i went to there Saturday morning right on schedule, they gave me some uber credit and told me they will give me an update by noon. i only got a robo-generated text message at noon saying my car is still in queue to be serviced, mind you, this was 4 hours after i dropping off the car. i went back to the service center around 2pm and they told me they could not find the parts i claimed they ordered for me, and they will need to do a thorough diagnostic of the car, therefore my car will be there for quite a while. i went off on them after they mentioned they had no record of me even stopping by on the 10/11 (my first visit where they claim a faulty vale was causing the AC issue, and ordered my parts). i showed them all the texting records between me and the service advisor, and they just shrugged it off saying well miscommunication, they have to re-diagnosis the car again if i want to fix it correctly. they told me i can have my car back as is if i need it for the weekend and set up another appointment for later . i told them this is my only car in the household, i'm a single dad with a 7 year old daughter, uber rides just not gonna cutting when you have a kid to tow around everyday. i told them i will not drive my car without AC (it was damn hot last couple weeks in L.A.) especially when i have a kid in car. at that time, the manager stepped me, he gave me the only loaner vehicle they have (a Model X 90D) and will update me the next business day.

i got a call from the first service adviser i dealt with, he basically saying miscommunication and mis-diagnosis happens when repairing cars, blah blah blah. when i asked him why they have no records of me showing up on the 10/11, he sidestepped the question. later on the same day i received a text message and a call from that service adviser saying my car has been fixed. they will try to arrange someone drive to my work to swap cars today.

Thor

I keep trying hard to love my M3 but it gets more difficult every day. We just replaced the rear tires at 13K miles and I accept the blame for that in that I should have rotated the tires frequently. It is such an issue though that it seems that the display should post a notice every 3-5K miles to rotate the tires - I didn't realize that I would need to do that until the rear tires were shot.
Now we go to the service center because the right front tire was either not holding pressure or the TPMS wasn't working. They determined that the TPMS was operating properly and they charged me $70 to fix a leak in the tire. They tell me that the front tires are showing uneven wear and need to be replaced (now at about 14K miles) and that I need an alignment. They tell me that because of the weight of the car, the M3 can go out of alignment from hitting just one pothole. So they check the alignment and the front is within specification but the rear is slightly out. No explanation now for the uneven wear. The tread depth on the front is still about 6mm where I measured it but I hadn't noticed the uneven wear. So now it looks like even with rotation on a frequent basis I will only get around 13K miles on my tires. The Lexus we replaced with the M3 was notorious for rapid tire wear but we still got 30K plus and only needed an alignment at about 80K miles.
On top of that, they are getting weasely with warranty issues. A few months ago when a software update caused a problem with the ability to disconnect the charging plug I had to use the manual disconnect lanyard in the trunk. Since there is no tactile feedback on the lanyard as to when it has disconnected, I pulled hard and the d-ring on the end of the lanyard pulled off (I really didn't pull extraordinarily hard). So I asked them to fix the lanyard and they said that they would have to replace the entire charging port and that it was my problem because I pulled too hard. Weasel position.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just replaced the rear tires at 13K miles and I accept the blame for that in that I should have rotated the tires frequently. It is such an issue though that it seems that the display should post a notice every 3-5K miles to rotate the tires - I didn't realize that I would need to do that until the rear tires were shot.
my car is at 17k miles, just checked the tread on all my tires a week or so ago, and all around still have 7/32" to 8/32" and totally even wear across all 4 (and am yet to rotate them, since they have been wearing 100% evenly). what have you had the pressure at?