Sentry Mode Event Report - how is this to be used?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been using Sentry Mode quite a bit, and often find upon return to my Model 3 that the car has an alert, "Sentry Mode event report." However, it provides no insights or information. If I click on it, nothing happens. The "i" which implies more information is passive and does nothing.

Am I supposed to yank out the USB and spend my evening scrolling through video files to figure out what the heck happened? I appreciate any insights into how to use these "event reports."

Attachments

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Correct. It is telling you there has been one even that triggered a recording. This could be a person walking by, someone maybe truly bumped the car, or as I saw on Facebook an F15 flying overhead, but it simply means one event of some sort caused a recording to happen, even though likely no one touched your car.

You then get to take a look through the video, but you can easily look at the date and time in the directory names and select teh most recent ones.

Several members here have also created utilties that will combine the video from all 3 cameras into one view and will also speed them up. This also gives you an opportunity to clean up and delete all of the history you don't need so that you'll have room to record an event you likely might need.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow - that is not very useful. They have to be working on making the videos tagged and viewable by the mobile app. The new macs don't even come with USB connectors.
Keep in mind this is all in it's infancy. This has saved you from buying a dedicated Dashcam, and to put it in the cloud or viewable from the app will cost them more money for LTE. They are trying to find the happy medium to deliver a nice service at a reasonable/minimal cost.

Take a look at your car and if it hasn't been damaged or hurt then maybe no need to review the video at all. It's your call.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep in mind this is all in it's infancy. This has saved you from buying a dedicated Dashcam, and to put it in the cloud or viewable from the app will cost them more money for LTE. They are trying to find the happy medium to deliver a nice service at a reasonable/minimal cost.

Take a look at your car and if it hasn't been damaged or hurt then maybe no need to review the video at all. It's your call.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I see an alert, walk around, see nothing, and assume that some guy or car walked or drove past my car and triggered something.

turnem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So far it has captured me walking up to the car every time and called it an alert. You'd think it would ignore that one after I unlock the car but I suppose I'd rather them error on the safe side versus potentially not recording something that the car should have.

MJJ

I think the release notes implied that in case of an actual police-reportable (And Sentry-captured) event Tesla would be able to recover video from on board.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You could always reverse the process - check for damage first, then check your sentry logs if you notice any.

Who cares about the alerts if they don't actually lead to something?

Car damaged? No.
Car broken into? No.

Don't bother with the logs.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You could always reverse the process - check for damage first, then check your sentry logs if you notice any.

Who cares about the alerts if they don't actually lead to something?

Car damaged? No.
Car broken into? No.

Don't bother with the logs.
This has been my protocol the last couple days since the alerts started. I have to say, it does slow the down the entire process of getting in the car and driving away.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a sentry alarm show up on my phone while parked at the golf course. First alarm I ever had so went to the car to check it. Nada.
Later on looked at the videos and found it was a person walking by the car with golf clubs.

And there were 5 other events, but only the one alarm.

Thus far it is a bit of crying wolf but as I have seen others with real issues and Sentry has come to their rescue, I am looking forward to it improving over time.

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a sentry alarm show up on my phone while parked at the golf course. First alarm I ever had so went to the car to check it. Nada.
Later on looked at the videos and found it was a person walking by the car with golf clubs.

And there were 5 other events, but only the one alarm.

Thus far it is a bit of crying wolf but as I have seen others with real issues and Sentry has come to their rescue, I am looking forward to it improving over time.
Just had a similar thing yesterday afternoon at a trade show. Got an alarm notice on my phone so went to the garage. Couldn't see anything amiss. Looked at the videos and could see one set where the alarm was going off (flashing lights showing on the garage walls) but really couldn’t tell what set it off. I didn’t notice anything unusual in the videos right around the time of the alarm event with people or cars moving right next to me. Front cam showed a vehicle had gone by close to the time of the alarm... maybe shook the floor? Didn’t see any damage when I walked around my car. So I moved the car to not have a repeat (if it was vibration). Didn’t happen again though I did see more Sentry alerts from motion in the garage when I came back later. BTW the alarm was off in the next video (and was off when I walked up to my car).

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still feel it would be useful to be able to access a log with a brief description of the event without having to consult the USB stick, IMHO. Maybe in a future update?
I guess a date and time stamp would be useful. Otherwise the most you could probably get would be something along the lines of "Ultrasonic sensor 7 triggered by nearby movement."

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still feel it would be useful to be able to access a log with a brief description of the event without having to consult the USB stick, IMHO. Maybe in a future update?
I'm not sure what type of succinct description would be useful since any number of nearby moving objects or people could trigger an alert state. It wouldn't know if the person walking next to your car is merely getting into his own vehicle parked next to yours or if he's keying your car (as captured in a recently posted Sentry Mode video). The ultimate solution would be to have the videos from the current session available for review and deletion on the car's own touchscreen. That would be a great future enhancement of this function.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The last couple of days at work I’ve gotten in my car at the end of the day and I have an alert that says something like “Sentry Mode Event”. I can’t seem to find it on the USB and even if I could it would be like a needle in a haystack with all the videos. How do guys find the video the alert is referencing?