Sentry Mode: Empty Files, Corrupt Video

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Franklin L

Country
Country
I’m also noticing my Sentry mode videos are sometimes corrupt on the (left) repeater. I’m using a good Samsung USB drive and swapping out the USB drive for another one did not help. I’m currently trying to plug them directly into the port instead of using a splitter.

On a similar note— do we still need to turn off the camera on the touchscreen before unpegging the USB stick or did that problem get patched/ fixed? I haven’t read of people complaining about total USB drive corruption lately.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm on 24.4 still. I had been getting good files since updating, but now I am now getting mostly 1kb files for all cameras. Even my recent files where I was driving are 1kb, which has never happened before. Maybe 1 out of 5 of the saved Sentry events from the last three days are complete files. I'm using a Samsung Pro Endurance micro sd. Hopefully this goes away with 28.2.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am very disappointed in Sentry in general.
WIth 24.4 and now 28.2, most dashcam and most Sentry videos are useless.

Earlier this week I had some stupid antics recorded by the dashcam. So I tapped to save them.
Two nights ago I went to retrieve them to post here and youtube and the files were garbage. Most 1kb, some 600kb.

So I looked at some Sentry recordings, like others maybe 20-50% were usable.

I tried different USB-3 memory sticks, I tried it without the USB bridge and its hit or miss.

These same memory sticks were used with Dashcam before Sentry so its not them, Dashcam was 90% + back then.

Where is Tesla QA?

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Earlier this week I had some stupid antics recorded by the dashcam. So I tapped to save them.
Two nights ago I went to retrieve them to post here and youtube and the files were garbage. Most 1kb, some 600kb.

I tried different USB-3 memory sticks, I tried it without the USB bridge and its hit or miss.

These same memory sticks were used with Dashcam before Sentry so its not them, Dashcam was 90% + back then.

Where is Tesla QA?
Yeah, I'm still having garbage Sentry and Dashcam files on 28.2 as well. Occasionally, I'll just get folders and folders of all 1kb files. I know my thumb drives are good, but just to be absolutely sure, I put in an M.2 SSD to make damn sure the drive itself wasn't bottlenecking. Same result. Maybe V10 will offer some relief. Dashcam and I witnessed an accident, and I tapped to save so I could provide the video to the victim, but those came out blank as well.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I'm still having garbage Sentry and Dashcam files on 28.2 as well. Occasionally, I'll just get folders and folders of all 1kb files. I know my thumb drives are good, but just to be absolutely sure, I put in an M.2 SSD to make damn sure the drive itself wasn't bottlenecking. Same result. Maybe V10 will offer some relief. Dashcam and I witnessed an accident, and I tapped to save so I could provide the video to the victim, but those came out blank as well.
The worst part is that even when the repeater files were sucking with Sentry Mode, everything still worked while the car was in motion. Now we've lost that assurance completely.

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The worst part is that even when the repeater files were sucking with Sentry Mode, everything still worked while the car was in motion. Now we've lost that assurance completely.
Since the update to 28.2 we have had no 0 Byte files and all cams have been glitch free. The side cam files are the same size as the front cam and have many more MPEG key frames-- much better video quality with very few compression artifacts. There seem to be little or no time gaps between successive files.

This is with at least a couple of dozen Sentry incidents on both video SD cards and an SSD drive. So far for us 28.2 is a major improvement.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello All. Ever since 2019.24.4 my sentry mode has not been working properly or mostly not at all. I’ve tried all the popular fixes like: turning off Sentry Mode for 24 hours, reformatting the drive, power-off the vehicle and reboot monitor. Last time I inspected the SanDisk 64 Gb drive and found all corrupt 595 kb files in the RecentClips folder. (See attachment) The files in the SavedClips folder were still fine for the most part. The biggest issue is that when car is locked it rarely triggers any activity. I just finished chatting with Tesla Support and they recommend using a drive no bigger than 32 Gb and preferably a 8 Gb drive with at least 4 Mb/s write speed to fix my problem. That would be such a hassle formatting that 8 Gb drive every couple of days!!

Does anyone have experience with the Samsung Portable 500 Gb T5 SSD Drive?? Was thinking of replacing with this drive and portioning a small amount for music in the car. Thanks Kindly!

TeslaCam-RecentClips.png

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since the update to 28.2 we have had no 0 Byte files and all cams have been glitch free. The side cam files are the same size as the front cam and have many more MPEG key frames-- much better video quality with very few compression artifacts. There seem to be little or no time gaps between successive files.

This is with at least a couple of dozen Sentry incidents on both video SD cards and an SSD drive. So far for us 28.2 is a major improvement.

That's great to hear!
How does your SSD drive work?
I was thinking of upgrading to an SSD instead of USB.

Thanks!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have experience with the Samsung Portable 500 Gb T5 SSD Drive?? Was thinking of replacing with this drive and portioning a small amount for music in the car. Thanks Kindly!
I bought this drive on a recommendation and have been very satisfied with its performance and utility. Mine is partitioned into three logical drives (32 GB music / 32 GB dashcam / the rest) has worked well for audio and video storage. I like that it comes with both a USB-A-to-C and USB-C-to-C cable, so I can leave both in the car and just plug the drive into my (Android) phone to review / edit / archive video anytime I want.

If they're still on sale on Amazon for 80 bucks, it's a pretty good deal.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's great to hear!
How does your SSD drive work?
I was thinking of upgrading to an SSD instead of USB.

Thanks!
It is 256 GB with a long slim form factor--quite small. I am not at home now so I can't give you the make and model. It was recommended earlier in this thread or the USB drive thread. I formatted it as FAT32 in one partition on my Mac. Plug it in and it just works.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello All. Ever since 2019.24.4 my sentry mode has not been working properly or mostly not at all. I’ve tried all the popular fixes like: turning off Sentry Mode for 24 hours, reformatting the drive, power-off the vehicle and reboot monitor. Last time I inspected the SanDisk 64 Gb drive and found all corrupt 595 kb files in the RecentClips folder. (See attachment) The files in the SavedClips folder were still fine for the most part. The biggest issue is that when car is locked it rarely triggers any activity. I just finished chatting with Tesla Support and they recommend using a drive no bigger than 32 Gb and preferably a 8 Gb drive with at least 4 Mb/s write speed to fix my problem. That would be such a hassle formatting that 8 Gb drive every couple of days!!

View attachment 28384
Ive been using the T5 (500G) for a few months now. It overall has been great. I have 3 partitions - two large for the cam and music and one small for 'etc' - that I mostly use to save 'processed' videos when combining them to view. all are well over 32G, and certainly over 8G ;)
I think once since using it, I've had a day of the dreaded 595b files, but after clearing the drive (not sure that made a difference) and going back to it the next day all was good again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ive been using the T5 (500G) for a few months now. It overall has been great. I have 3 partitions - two large for the cam and music and one small for 'etc' - that I mostly use to save 'processed' videos when combining them to view. all are well over 32G, and certainly over 8G ;)
I think once since using it, I've had a day of the dreaded 595b files, but after clearing the drive (not sure that made a difference) and going back to it the next day all was good again.
Thanks for the opinion on the T5 SSD! When you format it, does it wipe the security feature off the drive also? Does it matter for the performance? Thanks in advance again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought this drive on a recommendation and have been very satisfied with its performance and utility. Mine is partitioned into three logical drives (32 GB music / 32 GB dashcam / the rest) has worked well for audio and video storage. I like that it comes with both a USB-A-to-C and USB-C-to-C cable, so I can leave both in the car and just plug the drive into my (Android) phone to review / edit / archive video anytime I want.

If they're still on sale on Amazon for 80 bucks, it's a pretty good deal.
Is there a reason you only allocated 32 Gb for the dash cam video? Seems like you'll be formatting it often?? Much appreciated.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a reason you only allocated 32 Gb for the dash cam video? Seems like you'll be formatting it often?? Much appreciated.
A while ago, when I first setup the drive, some (but not all) owners reported problems with the car accessing partitions over 32 GB in size. At the time, I was also having issues with my dashcam files (which turned out to be firmware related), so I figured I'd keep the partitions to 32 GB to avoid introducing other issues. I don't run Sentry Mode often, and 32 GB is plenty for my needs... So I've haven't bothered to repartition the drive.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Where is Tesla QA?
While it is a little frustrating, keep in mind it wasn't an advertised or even foreseeable future feature when many of us bought our cars. I'm very happy to have something like this as I had no plans to purchase or install an aftermarket dash cam. It's 99% software, it can and will improve, but may be two steps forward and one step back. You can ignore the dash cam for a few months and not be disappointed nor frustrated with it and when it gets better come back to it.

I also had a few 0 byte and 595 byte files from a few weeks ago, something new to my setup, but I know it will once again improve and in a few more months we'll forget how buggy it once was.

Remember the horrible to use hands free phone echo? Nope, most don't because it has been almost perfect now for many months, but there once was a time it was really unusable it was so bad.

Last edited: