Sentry Mode: Empty Files, Corrupt Video

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Well, last night my son was driving our Model 3. After dinner, he was backing out of his parking spot when a large SUV also started backing out. The SUV dented our rear passenger side door and then drove off. He followed them attempting to get their license plate number. He phoned, and I told him to tap the camera icon and call the police. When he got home we reviewed the camera files. Half of the files had no data. Of course, the ones of the accident were empty. The only useful file is the front camera recording of my son following the SUV in the parking lot. Here is a photo of the license plate. We can’t make out the state. I will upload the video later today. Anyone out there with better video editing able to read the state? Very frustrating. I may visit the parking lot again today to see if they come back. We are on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN. There are a lot of out of state visitors here. I don’t think it is a TN plate.
Here is the video of the license plate and a picture of the damage. Any ideas what model SUV this is? I ordered a Transcend USB stick recommended by https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/.
50b160f7-d27c-4ddd-8220-148492a970f7-jpeg.27921

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That totally sucks @Rusty ! Sadly sentry still suffers occasional corrupted and empty videos once in a while, more likely while parked. Honestly I think it occurs no matter what media you have. This is why I still also run my two dedicated dash cams as well. If the files actually have some amount of data in them, maybe they can be deciphered better in another player?

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
That totally sucks @Rusty ! Sadly sentry still suffers occasional corrupted and empty videos once in a while, more likely while parked. Honestly I think it occurs no matter what media you have. This is why I still also run my two dedicated dash cams as well. If the files actually have some amount of data in them, maybe they can be deciphered better in another player?
Thanks. I will let you know if I have better performance from a $70 Transcend vs my $12 Sandisk.

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Well, last night my son was driving our Model 3. After dinner, he was backing out of his parking spot when a large SUV also started backing out. The SUV dented our rear passenger side door and then drove off. He followed them attempting to get their license plate number. He phoned, and I told him to tap the camera icon and call the police. When he got home we reviewed the camera files. Half of the files had no data. Of course, the ones of the accident were empty. The only useful file is the front camera recording of my son following the SUV in the parking lot. Here is a photo of the license plate. We can’t make out the state. I will upload the video later today. Anyone out there with better video editing able to read the state? Very frustrating. I may visit the parking lot again today to see if they come back. We are on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN. There are a lot of out of state visitors here. I don’t think it is a TN plate.
After doing lots of looking, I believe this is a Mackinac Bridge plate from Michigan BNE-461. Any other suggestions?
6ec3bf05-623f-44d0-bfbf-661c79b14e92-jpeg.27937

Last edited:

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using TapTes wireless charger with a Anker hub and everything has been working fine up until this release. Sentry/Dashcam is recording a bunch of 1kb files that are inaccessible. I'm on 24.4 (that's what it says in my car anyways) but it actually said that update failed even though I have the new features for 24.4. So I'm not sure what to do next.

For clarity it stopped working once I "installed" 24.4.

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Well I got my $70 Transcend thumb drive and tried it. I still get several empty video files. Mostly from driving (recent videos). The sentry mode files were complete. That may have just been a coincidence. It does not appear to be a thumb drive read write speed or temperature issue. The Transcend is rated for over 140 MB/s and a broader temperature range 32-160F.

Last edited:

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My sentry mode videos from the last couple weeks are all blank. My recent videos are working as expected, though. Any idea wth is going on?

I'm using this ssd drive;

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi everybody,

Since the latest Firmware updates I am not getting 0 bytes or corrupted files anymore for the Dashcam or Sentry mode. That is a great improvement. However I am now having trouble seeking in the .mp4 files (am I the only one?). I found an easy fix to that problem by using ffmpeg to fix the files. I tried to make the fix as easy as possible to use for Windows user by creating a small powershell script that "takes care of everything".
  1. Simply download the .ps1.txt attachment of this post
  2. Rename it to .ps1 (instead of .ps1.txt since the forum does not allow .ps1 attachments)
  3. Run it an follow the instructions
    • For people that never used powershell scripts before, simply right click on it and choose "Run with PowerShell"
For curious people, the .ps1 simply download ffmpeg for Windows, search for the usb drive and run the following ffmpeg command on each .mp4:
ffmpeg -i original.mp4 -c:v copy new.mp4
The quality of the clip will stay identical as it does not re-compress the file, it only "re-index" it to fix the seeking problem.

Attachments

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Blame Tesla for using USB 2.0. It wouldn’t have cost them any more $ to use 3.0/3.1.
USB2.0 has enough transfer/write speed for the cameras. The issue is something else, or every single video would have issues, instead of just some.

each complete 1min file is 29-30MB. So over the 3 cameras, that is 90 MB / minute.
USB2.0 is capable of 60MB / second (3,600 MB / minute) so the camera's video is only using 2.5% of the USBs capable data speed.

Last edited:

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also had clean Sentry files this weekend from the repeater cameras. First ones I've looked at since updating to 24.4. Small sample size, but I had already deleted without viewing the ones that recorded while parked at work last week.

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
USB2.0 has enough transfer/write speed for the cameras. The issue is something else, or every single video would have issues, instead of just some.

each complete 1min file is 29-30MB. So over the 3 cameras, that is 90 MB / minute.
USB2.0 is capable of 60MB / second (3,600 MB / minute) so the camera's video is only using 2.5% of the USBs capable data speed.
Aware. But still. What about future proofing. They should have gone with USB 3 anyways. It seems like a camera/firmware issue to me. Hopefully it doesn’t take them forever to figure this out. I’d rather they concentrate on bugs like this than farts and games.