Senior Display

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

lawnmore

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would like to suggest that there be a senior option for the display. There is pleanty of room to increase the size of the fonts and icons etc. All owners are NOT under 60. Many times I am unable to read pop up msssages and drive safely. Frankle I think the display is rather BLAND. Take a look at the Lucid display. If we seniors were offered an option to slightly enlarge and give more character to our screens I think we would all take advantage of it. THOUGHTS?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If your eyesight is that bad, then I'd also be concerned about what else you may be unable to see, like road signs.

Do you have presbyopia?
Do you wear glasses while driving?

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If your eyesight is that bad, then I'd also be concerned about what else you may be unable to see, like road signs.

Do you have presbyopia?
Do you wear glasses while driving?
Presbyopia wouldn't necessarily affect the ability to read road signs and the like. The driver might simply have some trouble focussing on things that are close, but have good vision further away.

Non-prescription reading glasses with a 3 diopter strength are not at all unusual. Being able to read something at a distance of 25 cm is considered "normal vision." A 3 diopter pair of glasses moves the 25 cm object to a distance of 100 cm, which is probably a bit less than the distance to the screen. That suggests that without glasses someone who uses 3 diopter glasses to read would find the screen a bit blurry. For that person, there's usually no point to wearing reading glasses to drive--they don't affect their ability to see road signs at all, and in fact the part with the optics in it would make it trickier to see road signs, traffic, etc., because they block part of the field of view. And reasonable large text or controls would still be legible. But tiny fonts? I agree--a large font mode makes sense.

lawnmore

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Presbyopia wouldn't necessarily affect the ability to read road signs and the like. The driver might simply have some trouble focussing on things that are close, but have good vision further away.

Non-prescription reading glasses with a 3 diopter strength are not at all unusual. Being able to read something at a distance of 25 cm is considered "normal vision." A 3 diopter pair of glasses moves the 25 cm object to a distance of 100 cm, which is probably a bit less than the distance to the screen. That suggests that without glasses someone who uses 3 diopter glasses to read would find the screen a bit blurry. For that person, there's usually no point to wearing reading glasses to drive--they don't affect their ability to see road signs at all, and in fact the part with the optics in it would make it trickier to see road signs, traffic, etc., because they block part of the field of view. And reasonable large text or controls would still be legible. But tiny fonts? I agree--a large font mode makes sense.
Thank you for putting that into FOCUS---

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
All owners are NOT under 60.
Actually, I thought 40 was the point at which eyes started changing notably. That’s when all font started seeming smaller to me. On the Tesla display, I am most bothered by the lack of contrast for a few items. The worst for me is trying to see the exit number in the nav directions. It is too small and too light gray.
Many times I am unable to read pop up msssages and drive safely
They come and go too quickly and I have to admit I miss catching some of them. It is helpful to later check the notifications, although I have found it doesn’t record all of them.
Take a look at the Lucid display
I had a good first impression of it, but after watching one of their YouTube videos, not so excited about it. The right screen and left screen are most troubling to me…. Too much stuff on the left and that there is some pretty small font at the top of the right screen. What in particular are you liking on the Lucid display?
41DAC598-E076-4DF9-9770-FE12F8F385C1.jpeg
1F7EDF17-9735-4112-8863-601D6A9929BF.jpeg

I think the display is rather BLAND

an option to slightly enlarge and give more character to our screens
So what is it that seems bland to you on the Tesla display and how would you give it more character?

ULEWZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Thank you for that. The youngens don't get it, YET, but they will.

Reactions: lawnmore

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In Texas we have to take a vision test to get our DL renewed. Usually your vision doctor will seek to correct your vision to 20/20. So if you are having trouble reading the screen you probably need to see the doctor and get corrective lenses. I don't know why someone would think it OK to drive with reading glasses. Maybe you were not suggesting that. Left and right eyes can require different prescriptions which I don't think reading glassed provide.
Bifocals help a lot with near/far vision. I understand that progressives do not work well with peripheral vision (source: optometrist) which is needed to see the screen in the Model 3/Y without turning your head.
I too miss messages on the screen that are down low and disappear quickly. They may appear at a time of high workload. Rather than being distracted by them I tend to look outside the car to see if anything important is happening.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
presbyopia, Wow that’s one of those big five cent words like mayonnaise and gymnasium. I think the real question, senior or not, is that the display could benefit from the ability to personalize it. The one size fits all approach is nice, but if a certain segment of the users don’t get the information because they can’t read it, the light gray manual under the fan that is gray on gray, I’m not sure the user interface is doing its job. Not sure what that has to do with road signs. But at least I don’t have those bright colors from my USB album ar distracting me. They display is in a beautiful location for a full self driving car. But if we’re going to still have to drive, having a display directly in front of the drivers field of vision might help.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In Texas we have to take a vision test to get our DL renewed. Usually your vision doctor will seek to correct your vision to 20/20. So if you are having trouble reading the screen you probably need to see the doctor and get corrective lenses. I don't know why someone would think it OK to drive with reading glasses. Maybe you were not suggesting that. Left and right eyes can require different prescriptions which I don't think reading glassed provide.
Bifocals help a lot with near/far vision. I understand that progressives do not work well with peripheral vision (source: optometrist) which is needed to see the screen in the Model 3/Y without turning your head.
I too miss messages on the screen that are down low and disappear quickly. They may appear at a time of high workload. Rather than being distracted by them I tend to look outside the car to see if anything important is happening.
Wait--really? In Texas they test your near vision for a DL? That's bizarre to me. I've gotten DL's in several states over the years (but not TX), and it was always just reading letters off of an eye chart at distance. How do they even test your near vision in that setting? Do they use a machine of some kind, like optometrists have? Or do they put you in a harness to keep you from backing away from the thing you're trying to read? I'm not being sarcastic--I'm really trying to figure out how it's done.

I'm also a bit baffled as to why they even test for that. Tesla has put everything on the screen in the 3 and the Y, but that's not the case for almost all other cars. What do they think is going to be a hazard for you? Speedometers are pretty easy to read even if your near vision isn't great.

And then I'm not quite sure I understand the remedy. Suppose it's determined that your near vision isn't good enough to drive unaided. Does Texas then mandate that you have to drive with bifocals or progressives? Or, if the person's far vision is fine, do they mandate they drive with reading glasses? (Note: "reading glasses" to me can include prescription reading glasses. When I use that term I just mean glasses where the optics are only used for near distances, and the rest of the lens is just flat plastic or glass.)

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do you have presbyopia?
Anyone over 50 has Presbyopia, guaranteed. I use wide-field progessives and even I have a hard time seeing some of the fonts, such as the power bar at the top left. It appears to be one or two pixels high... I agree, the layout and design of the display leaves a lot to be desired and got worse with the latest redesign.

lawnmore

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Actually, I thought 40 was the point at which eyes started changing notably. That’s when all font started seeming smaller to me. On the Tesla display, I am most bothered by the lack of contrast for a few items. The worst for me is trying to see the exit number in the nav directions. It is too small and too light gray.

They come and go too quickly and I have to admit I miss catching some of them. It is helpful to later check the notifications, although I have found it doesn’t record all of them.

I had a good first impression of it, but after watching one of their YouTube videos, not so excited about it. The right screen and left screen are most troubling to me…. Too much stuff on the left and that there is some pretty small font at the top of the right screen. What in particular are you liking on the Lucid display?
View attachment 38723 View attachment 38724

So what is it that seems bland to you on the Tesla display and how would you give it more character?
It just seems a lot more imaginative in font and style. Maybe not perfect but at least a step in a thoughtful direction My Tesla is pretty hoh hum and the contrast is dismal

lawnmore

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone over 50 has Presbyopia, guaranteed. I use wide-field progessives and even I have a hard time seeing some of the fonts, such as the power bar at the top left. It appears to be one or two pixels high... I agree, the layout and design of the display leaves a lot to be desired and got worse with the latest redesign.
Thanks Tom I think this idea should be a top priority on this sight as well as with Tesla.

• Agree
Reactions: Madmolecule

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Screen location
Why has Tesla migrated to a large screen in the middle of the dashboard instead of the traditional instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel, both on the model 3 and Y?
I don’t feel this is to give more information to the passenger, I think it is solely due to the fact that they are moving to touch screens for the user interface. With a touchscreen and a round steering wheel it’s impossible to interface with it directly in front of the driver. Because of this it had to be moved to the side, which isn’t the best for visibility and keeping your eyes on the road.
because of the relocation of the traditional display, they definitely need to focus on peoples ability to see it quickly while still keeping their eyes on the road.
I also feel this might be the partial reason for going to the yoke, wheel, As I think they will be adding center touchscreens soon

Reactions: DocScott

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why has Tesla migrated to a large screen in the middle of the dashboard instead of the traditional instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel, both on the model 3 and Y?

1) It works
2) No retooling for RHD cars.
3) Better frontal visibility

• Agree
Reactions: garsh

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

1) It works
4) Cost. All of those things mean it's easier to build and costs less to build.

• Agree
Reactions: Kizzy

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

1) It works

1) touchscreen
2) cheeper
3) cat quest
4) no retooling but not in the drivers line of site ( bad trade off)
5) Tesla actually thought FSD would work, and the driver would need a display except for playing cat quest. The biggest mistake.
6) there was even discussion whether they would be supplying steering wheels or retractable steering wheels on future models.
7) laptop screens readily available and cheap
8) not better frontal visibility of your telemetry, phone interface and navigation
9) touchscreen
99) it works

• Funny
Reactions: Kizzy