Selling my Model3/implications on US federal tax credit

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• Selling or promoting products is NOT permitted on TOO. Please contact us for advertising or sponsorship rates.
    No bumping of threads unless you're lowering a price, answering a question, or adding useful information. Please note that items for sale must be in the possession of the buyer unless prior approval is opbtained by the admin.
    ALL ADS MUST INCLUDE A PRICE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hi If i were to sell my model 3 soon that I got in December 28 2018. Would i still be eligible for the $7500 tax credit for 2018 taxes.
The IRS stipulates the following as one of the requirements to qualify for the credit: “You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.” I don’t know what challenges or limits have ever been set on how long you must own it. I think selling it this soon would be highly challengable on whether you had plans for resale at the time you purchased it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think selling it this soon would be highly challengable on whether you had plans for resale at the time you purchased it.
Bigriver is correct. It basically depends on whether the IRS would somehow choose to audit you, and if they decide to challenge it. None of us knows how they would choose to handle it. I've never heard of anybody getting denied (or audited) for selling their EV that quickly.

If you had bought it and immediately tried to flip it without putting any miles on it, that would be very suspect. I think the fact that you've owned it for a month and actually drove it and put miles on it makes you have a strong case. Personally, I'd go ahead and file for the credit if I were in that situation, but IANAL, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, OMG, YOLO.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good points above. I would definitely take the credit. As an ex-CPA, I think you have very little to worry about. To deny the credit many unlikely events must occur. The IRS would have to choose you to audit. Then they would have to decide to audit your credits(not many audits look at every aspect of your return). The form to take the credit does not ask how long the vehicle was in service or if it still is, so you won't be fibbing. The agent performing your audit would have to determine that the vehicle is no longer in service. And if the IRS managed to jump through all these hoops and disallowed your credit(very highly unlikely), the result would be that you would have to repay the amount of the credit plus a very nominal amount of interest. You ain't gonna go to prison!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is so poorly written that you will still get the credit unless you have publicly claimed somewhere that this was your intent to resell all along no one can say otherwise. You bought the car in excitement but realized it wasn’t for you and had to sell it.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The rule is intended for dealerships to not take the credit (but the banks do if it is a lease).

But also remember, that the buyer of the car should expect a decrease in the price of at least $7500.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
He will probably lose more than $7500 on it, and that probably would cover him in case of an audit. As long as it shows he wasn't trying to profit from it, he'd probably be ok even in the case of an audit.

MrMannilow

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
He will probably lose more than $7500 on it, and that probably would cover him in case of an audit. As long as it shows he wasn't trying to profit from it, he'd probably be ok even in the case of an audit.
7500 + taxes + MSRP being much lower. I was looking at the same scenario but I'd be taking close to a 20k hit

Status
Not open for further replies.