Screw puncture in brand new tire (<70mi!) repair with Tesla?

JGD108

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi!
I was doing my daily visual inspection of my brand new Tesla and on Saturday night I found out I have a large screw in my tire! Not even 70mi on those tires. It went in fully.

Called roadside assistance, sent me a tow truck and installed a tesla loaner wheel same size and tire.

Now tesla advisor said after inspecting the tire that it needs to be replaced, "the damage was done on the outer side of the tire".

I got a shock when he said it'll cost #356.40 for a new tire! Wow, that's a lot of money. Those tires have acoustic and green stuff aka low rolling resistance.

Tire racks sell them for $275 with shipping it's $12, then install and balancing would be another $25 maybe.

Thoughts? And does it need to get wheel alignment as wheel? Tesla said they could do wheel alignment at no cost..

Thanks!
tire1-jpg.8760
tire2-jpg.8761

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems a little close to the edge but get a second opinion from a respected tire shop in your area. They should be able to tell from your picture.
You will need the wheel re-balanced new tire or not.
Wheel alignment is not necessary, this is required only in case of major impact or accident.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi!
I was doing my daily visual inspection of my brand new Tesla and on Saturday night I found out I have a large screw in my tire! Not even 70mi on those tires. It went in fully.

Called roadside assistance, sent me a tow truck and installed a tesla loaner wheel same size and tire.

Now tesla advisor said after inspecting the tire that it needs to be replaced, "the damage was done on the outer side of the tire".

I got a shock when he said it'll cost #356.40 for a new tire! Wow, that's a lot of money. Those tires have acoustic and green stuff aka low rolling resistance.

Tire racks sell them for $275 with shipping it's $12, then install and balancing would be another $25 maybe.

Thoughts? And does it need to get wheel alignment as wheel? Tesla said they could do wheel alignment at no cost..

Thanks! View attachment 8760 View attachment 8761
Ouch sorry to see that happened on brand new tires. :( Sadly quote seems about right. Had a buddy who got a nail in the tire and it was damaged like this too. The third-party shop he went to flat out refused to work on it because of the foam, so he had to go back to a Tesla and they said it needed to be a replacement. Paid in the 300s for it.

George K

Country
Country
I have had tires repaired like this. I have been told by some tire shops that a tire would have to be replaced but then went to another service garage that had no promlem patching it. It was a Honda Pilot. There removed tire then sanded inside area of hole and then glued patch on inside. I think this is better than a plug but I have had tires with holes on tread pluged with no problem. If hole we're near edge or side I would only use a good inside patch. I have also heard of inside patch with plug that goes thru tire from inside but I have never used one.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
glued patch on inside. I think this is better than a plug
Definitely better, but I've plugged holes in the tread before, didn't bother getting it patched, and the plug held fine for thousands of miles.
If hole we're near edge or side I would only use a good inside patch.
When you get a tear in the sidewall, not even a patch will help. You just need to replace the tire. There's too much flexing in the sidewall.

JGD108

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks guys.

Finally spoke to my Service Advisor about the damage to the tire, and said it is not repairable as per Tesla guidelines but suggested I take the tire and check with tire shops if they can fix it. The damage is on the thread very near to the sidewall. I've asked and got more pictures from inside as well.

I heard finally from one tire shop and they said it has pierced the acoustic foam and they had repaired it in the past but it didn't work for long. Will check with another tire shop but it doesn't look good for now.

I do not want to pay $350 if it can be fixed but at the same time I can't spend half a day driving around with my tire in the trunk trying to see if they can fix it.

Here are all the pics:

img952038-jpg.8844
img952039-jpg.8845
img952040-jpg.8846
548109330-jpg.8847
548109317-jpg.8848

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks guys.

Finally spoke to my Service Advisor about the damage to the tire, and said it is not repairable as per Tesla guidelines but suggested I take the tire and check with tire shops if they can fix it. The damage is on the thread very near to the sidewall. I've asked and got more pictures from inside as well.

I heard finally from one tire shop and they said it has pierced the acoustic foam and they had repaired it in the past but it didn't work for long. Will check with another tire shop but it doesn't look good for now.

I do not want to pay $350 if it can be fixed but at the same time I can't spend half a day driving around with my tire in the trunk trying to see if they can fix it.

Here are all the pics:

View attachment 8844 View attachment 8845 View attachment 8846 View attachment 8847 View attachment 8848
I'm all for getting a second (or third) opinion, but IMO I'd just pay the $350 for peace of mind and safety. A less scrupulous shop could say they'll fix it, but if the first shop is right and it won't hold for long, you'll end up replacing it anyway pretty soon.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Don't mess around with tire repairs if it is at all questionable. You will be travelling at high speed at times generating high temperatures near the tire walls due to flexing. This puncture looks marginal at best for a repair. Saving some money now only to get a flat in the middle of nowhere seems unwise.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never done tire repairs, but have had plenty patched, never used a plug, just always had them patched. I would say that looks like a good candidate for a patch, can't imagine buying a new one for that. The one thing I'll admit I know nothing about is this stuff Tesla has inside the tire and what happens when it's removed. Can you put it back in? Do you just have to have the tire rebalanced to make up for what was taken out to get to the repair? I don't know, but seems that puncture should be repairable.

Tyres4M3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never done tire repairs, but have had plenty patched, never used a plug, just always had them patched. I would say that looks like a good candidate for a patch, can't imagine buying a new one for that. The one thing I'll admit I know nothing about is this stuff Tesla has inside the tire and what happens when it's removed. Can you put it back in? Do you just have to have the tire rebalanced to make up for what was taken out to get to the repair? I don't know, but seems that puncture should be repairable.
Easily repairable. Simply cut a square of the foam out and plug/patch the tire. Rebalance after completing repair.

This one is easy to repair. Use repair kit that costs 5 bucks. WORST CASE SCENARIO:
Tire will lose balance or roundness over time. Absolutely no risk of explosion.
Repair before replacement. No more theoretical talk.

No need to use glue on patch. Both methods work very well and reliably.

Have that kit with you. And air compressor. And pliers to get the screw out.

Like I said, worst that can happen is that it is not permanent.
But probability of permanent fix is more than 95% (many years of experience).

PS: you beat my record. I got screw on the third day of ownership with 100-something miles on the odometer.

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
We have a puncture in one of the rear tires, nail, absolute dead-center of the tire, but Discount Tire said they can't repair it due to the acoustic foam. I called the Tesla SC, and they said that there's only one tech in today, so my best bet is a local tire shop (helpful!). Has anyone had Discount Tire, or another shop, happily repair the 18" Michelin tire?

Tyres4M3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tire can be repaired. They just have to cut a square section of the foam out. The tire is no different than a normal tire other than the acoustic foam.

We have a puncture in one of the rear tires, nail, absolute dead-center of the tire, but Discount Tire said they can't repair it due to the acoustic foam. I called the Tesla SC, and they said that there's only one tech in today, so my best bet is a local tire shop (helpful!). Has anyone had Discount Tire, or another shop, happily repair the 18" Michelin tire?

Tire can be repaired. They just have to cut a square section of the foam out. The tire is no different than a normal tire other than the acoustic foam.
Or use the method I mentioned 3 posts above. This repair type doesn't care about acoustic foam at all.

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I know, the question was more about policy with Discount Tire and others. I clarified with Discount Tire, Pep Boys and NTB - none of them will repair a tire with the acoustic foam. Not sure if that's a national policy, but it certainly applies to everywhere I tried near me.

JGD108

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know, the question was more about policy with Discount Tire and others. I clarified with Discount Tire, Pep Boys and NTB - none of them will repair a tire with the acoustic foam. Not sure if that's a national policy, but it certainly applies to everywhere I tried near me.
Mine was repaired successfully at American Tire. Maybe try calling other stores..

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Yeah, I heard from others that they still do the repairs, but I think they're mostly west coast and Canada; at least, there's not around here. In the end we had it towed to Tesla for repair, just not as convenient as taking it to a tire store 5 minutes away.

humanoid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got a puncture in pretty much the same location of the tire as the OP. So, did you ever get the tire repaired or did you get it replaced?

Please. Be nice to environment. Fix it. Don't scrap totally new tire.:rolleyes:

Every tire seller would want you to get a new tire. Every repair shop would want you to get a very expensive mushroom from inside. It's always about the money. Fix it yourself with that rubbery rope.