Screw in Tire. Is this repairable? AWD tire replacement options

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey M3OC. Was on a my way home from road trip yesterday(P3D+) and noticed my driver side rear tire dropping to 38 psi when not driving (from 44). Today I had the chance to take a look and found the culprit. I found a screw in the inner tire shoulder.

I was about to swap the tires for my winter tires at the end of this week so ill just do that today. The tires have 6200 miles on them and Ill measure the tread depths when I get home from work. (I was going to put them back on in the spring a new rotated state)

So now I need to figure out.

Can I have the punctured tire repaired or repair it myself?
If not, can I replace only one tire? (How much can the tread depth be different than the other 3?)
Who sells the Tesla PS4S OEM tire with foam?

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Sensei

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope...it's too close to the edge of the tread area. Buy a new tire.

That being said if you plug it it might hold but no tire dealer would do that for you. I myself would only plug it to get it home. I have, on my motorcycle, run thousands of miles with plugs in the tire. A motorcycle tire flexes far more than your car tire and it was run at much faster speeds. So the question is..."Are you feeling lucky?"

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It's in the tread but very near the edge. And it's inside one of the tread grooves so you don't have very thick rubber to work with. Probably best to replace it.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Personally I would plug it first and see how it holds. Chances are it will be fine. Just monitor pressure and if leaks then you have your answer. Be sure to add a little rubber cement.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the hole is clean you may be able to plug it. Also, I would highly recommend never plugging a motorcycle tire other than to get you home.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sort of disagree with a couple of the posters that say to plug it in the manner they’re implying. What they’re talking about is to plug it yourself from the outside which should never be done except in an emergency situation (I’ve plugged a sidewall before and yes, it got me home).

BUT, you’re talking about trying to use a tire for the next several years, not just 45 minutes to get you home. Go ahead and take it to a tire place and see if they’ll break the tire down and install a plug/patch combo from the inside. I would be okay with that (and its the only way to properly repair a tire).

Like several other posters said, it’s probably too close to the edge and they’ll decline to plug it (both Discount Tire and Big O Tires here in Vegas have done it for free for me).

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And if it does need replaced, Tire Rack will shave the new tire down if the others are worn a significant degree. Don’t know how much the difference has to be but just give them a call. They’re great people to talk to. If they don’t sell the tire you need and it does need to be shaved down, you’ll just have to get on the phone and call around. Tire shaving machines used to be a lot more prevelant than they are now so it may be hard to find a place that can do it.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/moto...rshall/tire-shaving-available-at-tire-rack-v2

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sort of disagree with a couple of the posters that say to plug it in the manner they’re implying. What they’re talking about is to plug it yourself from the outside which should never be done except in an emergency situation (I’ve plugged a sidewall before and yes, it got me home).

BUT, you’re talking about trying to use a tire for the next several years, not just 45 minutes to get you home. Go ahead and take it to a tire place and see if they’ll break the tire down and install a plug/patch combo from the inside. I would be okay with that (and its the only way to properly repair a tire).

Like several other posters said, it’s probably too close to the edge and they’ll decline to plug it (both Discount Tire and Big O Tires here in Vegas have done it for free for me).
I think the tire shop dealers association has you trained to say that or something.
DIY tire plugs from the outside work great especially for small nail/screw holes. I've plugged tired many dozens of times, on several of my cars as well as others, and they survive the life of the tire. I've even autocrossed on them. I agree getting to the corner of the tread as in this case is a little iffy, but it's worth a try. A sidewall of course is a different situation, and I wouldn't even trust an inside patch there. Remember a tire shop is always incentivized to scare you into buying tires.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the tire shop dealers association has you trained to say that or something.
DIY tire plugs from the outside work great especially for small nail/screw holes. I've plugged tired many dozens of times, on several of my cars as well as others, and they survive the life of the tire. I've even autocrossed on them. I agree getting to the corner of the tread as in this case is a little iffy, but it's worth a try. A sidewall of course is a different situation, and I wouldn't even trust an inside patch there. Remember a tire shop is always incentivized to scare you into buying tires.
Troll much? Seen several posts by you where you talk about plugging a tire. You’re wrong (and probably cheap which is a great incentive to cut corners). You won’t find a single manufacturer that says it’s okay to PERMANENTLY install a plug from the outside. Go away with your lousy advice.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Troll much? Seen several posts by you where you talk about plugging a tire. You’re wrong (and probably cheap which is a great incentive to cut corners). You won’t find a single manufacturer that says it’s okay to PERMANENTLY install a plug from the outside. Go away with your lousy advice.
The whole point of a forum is to draw on others' experiences, especially considering the OP asked for DIY repair advice (and NOT to cut others down for doing so). The nail is holding the air in, so there's a very high chance a plug will as well. As I said, it doesn't hurt to try. Others agree:

That's true. That way, they don't have to offer a warranty. But these plugs work very well. I've patched two tires with them, never bothered to get a proper patch put on the inside of the tire, and the plug lasted the lifetime of the tire with no leaks.
I agree with that (weight and noise) except I don't worry too much about flats because I've only had one flat car tire in the previous 25 years. And most flats can be dealt with using an inexpensive "sticky worm" tire plug and inflator.
consider buying a tire plug kit. They work great on simple tire tread punctures.
They're inexpensive, pretty easy to use, and work very well. I've had to use my kit a couple of times. You're supposed to eventually unmount the tire and add a patch to the inside of the tire, but I've never bothered to do that, and I've never had a problem. You'll also need a small portable pump to re-inflate the tire. My Leaf came with one (along with the goop), but I'm not sure if Teslas include one.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah I’m not a fan of exterior plugs except in the case of emergencies (not to say they don’t work at other times). I was looking more for advice on if it was patch-plugable. I agree that it most likely isn’t so I’ll work on getting a new tire by the time spring rolls around.

Last edited:

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please check your tone, @TheMagician. It's ok to disagree, but keep it civil.
Sorry for the tone garsh. Just passionate about tires and want people to know it’s NOT okay to plug tires from the outside permanently in spite of what experiences other members may have had. Not my opinion, every major tire manufacturer in the world says that. I’ll say it nicer next time :)

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just passionate about tires and want people to know it’s NOT okay to plug tires from the outside permanently in spite of what experiences other members may have had. Not my opinion, every major tire manufacturer in the world says that. I’ll say it nicer next time :)
Yes, and every pharmaceutical company/pharmacy in the world says it's not OK to re-purpose the remaining painkillers to someone else with the same prescription. And no, you can't return unused pills to the pharmacy, just throw them away. Wire nuts for electricians, once used, you need a new one. So it's not surprising that tire companies will tell you to patch it to get home safely but then you have to buy a new tire. And don't shave that new tire down to match the others, just buy a pair of new tire$.

I don't get many flat tires in my 4 wheeled vehicles but my motorcycles pick up screws and other undesirables like a drunken sailor. Probably because of the softer rubber compounds, lack of steel belts and faster speeds/higher rubber temperatures. I've never had a fuzzy worm plug fail or leak. If they are near the edge, the part of the tire I'm riding on when at maximum lean angle, I replace the tire. I also replace the tire if the plug is in the thin part of the tread (in a tread groove) mostly out of a sense of extreme precaution. But the punctures that are in the thick part of the tread near the center, I ride until the tire is worn enough that I'm not happy with the way it's riding (due to tread wear).

I love fuzzy worm tire plugs and they have saved me a ton of time and money over the years! As soon as the tire is plugged it's a good idea to immediately drive it hard for 20 minutes. That warms it up and allows it to stretch and give and "get situated" before the cement hardens. This is why I've never had one leak.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just passionate about tires and want people to know it’s NOT okay to plug tires from the outside permanently in spite of what experiences other members may have had.
For a simple puncture like this, I would still attempt to plug it. If the plug fails, you'll end up with a slow air leak again. At that point I would replace it with a new tire.
Not my opinion, every major tire manufacturer in the world says that.
Sure, because plugs can fail. If you have a small slice in the tire rather than a puncture, a plug won't work, while a proper patch on the inside still will. A screw or nail almost always makes a puncture. I'd try the plug first in this case.

ddatta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a similar situation, and I am losing about 2 psi per day. I called tesla service, and they recommended that i take it to a local tire shop for repairing the flat.
Do you know of any establishment in central NJ that does tesla tire repairs?

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a similar situation, and I am losing about 2 psi per day. I called tesla service, and they recommended that i take it to a local tire shop for repairing the flat.
Do you know of any establishment in central NJ that does tesla tire repairs?
The same ones that do Ford, Chevy, Audi, etc. repairs. Anyone should be able to do it. Yes, there is a foam liner in the tire, but this is not unique to tesla. I did have a couple of chain stores like Goodyear give me a problem when they took the tire off, but then I went to a mom and pop place and they did it no problem. Where in NJ? I am in Howell and can recommend Save-on Auto Service.