Screen Protector

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, if a sniper shoots through your back window and into the screen it can prevent the glass from flying into your face.
I don't consider this to be a high risk issue. The other glass the bullet(s) go through will still have frags flying around.

Best to wear eye protection all the time. Just in case.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey its me - the guy who cracked his screen by tapping it accidentally with my phone :( I was moving my arm to place my phone in the charging cradle (in the dark) and tapped the bottom edge of my screen with the phone (since the display ends ~1" past the end of the screen and i couldn't see it) which cracked the screen and made it FREAK out.

Just heard from Tesla that a replacement screen is around $1300 in case you were wondering.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently purchased a screen protector from Abstract Ocean and it's 10x better than others Ive purchased, especially installation.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On a similar side note... Call me crazy but I've always had great luck using Windex on my iphones and ipads. It's just a piece of glass after all. Is this screen any different? How is everyone cleaning it? Is there a thread for that?
The glass and digitizer bits inside the glass won't be harmed by ammonia based windex -- but the electrical connections near the edge can...chemicals have a way of getting past the glue sealing the glass/glass layers to the frame and once inside can wreak havoc. Really don't recommend windex on electronics.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently purchased a screen protector from Abstract Ocean and it's 10x better than others Ive purchased, especially installation.
Me too. Just installed it today. I got the Clear HD Glass one. It fit almost perfect. The radius in the corners don't quite match perfect. I'm sure I'm the only person that will ever know.

As mentioned the supplied tape is NOT enough to hold it steady. I added some painters tape to hold it. The supplied stuff peels off the glass to easy.

All the edges aligned perfect. Not a spec of dust. How, I don't know ;)

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm ... the protectors I just rev'd from AO do not have any positioning tape included/ Got the non-glare versions.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm ... the protectors I just rev'd from AO do not have any positioning tape included/ Got the non-glare versions.
It’s a small Amber sheet with 3 clear amber strips to peel off. Personally I would use 3 pieces of painters tape front to back and another long piece of painters tape across the entire top to form the hinge. You literally can’t use to much tape. The more secure the top hinge the easier the install. It allows you to lift up from the bottom and get the screen perfectly clean without worrying about it. Then peel off the backing, clean the screen again and lower it into place.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We’re they glass or plastic screen protectors?

The useless included tape is really no big deal though.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was just reading that some people didn't remove the film on the screen that came from the factory. My existing plastic cover had a tab sticking up at the top right for easy removal. I literally removed it in the Tesla garage before I pulled out to ensure it wasn't hiding anything underneath. It's not possible there's even another layer of plastic I can't see is it?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Must be plastic as they're flexible.
The glass ones have some flex too. You’d remember by the price though, the glass ones are $46 !!! Plastic is around $20 depending on the finish.

It’s very difficult to “touch up” (remove a spec of dust) on a glass one. With plastic ones you can roll a corner back and pluck out the lint with tape. You really only have one shot with a glass one.

mptpro

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is my video review and installation of the ElonAccessories screen protector. Spoiler alert, we loved it so much on my car that we bought a second for my wife's car.

Just installed the same one!
  • Easy install.
  • seems very high quality.
  • reduces glare
  • hides fingerprints.
screenshot_2018-12-21-18-08-47-png.19549

Here's the link: Elon Accessories screen protector.

[mod edit: referral link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any one use the Amazon 9H screen protector? Looks like its the same part that others are selling for 3x higher:

Just ordered. Any one use a humidifier in their car during install. I've had terrible experiences trying to do cell phone protectors in the past. Will watch a few videos.