Scraping / grinding / metallic noise from wheel

Juza

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In a couple of occasions, I heard a loud noise coming from the passenger side (front right wheel). The best way I could describe it is scraping / grinding / metallic noise, like scraping metal on metal.

The car (Model 3 Performance) is new, I got it only six weeks ago, even tought I have already driven it for more than 10K kilometers.

The first time I head the noise when leaving a supercharger (at 2000km on odometer). At first I tought that I had a coke can stuck under the car - but I checked and there was nothing. The noise disappeared after few kilometers.

I drove the car for 8000km without problems, then yesterday (at about 10500km) I got the grinding noise again while driving in the countryside. Again, there was nothing visible, and it disappeared by itself after few km.

I guess that the most likely cause could be a pebble stuck in the brakes, it happened once even with my previous car and it made a similar noise... but I am a bit suprised that with Tesla it happened two times in about a month. Maybe the brakes of the Model 3 are particularly susceptible to dirt/pebbles?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Johnm6875

Country
Country
Something similar for me. I think a stone was caught between rotor and splash shield. It fell out after a mile or two. Noisy but, no damage.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, it happened to be too. Makes the most awful sound. Mine took three days to go away. Probably a pebble caught between the brake rotor and dust shield.

ATechGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's quite common if you happen to drive on roads with a lot of pepples. I found backing up a little in a parking lot helped to dislodge the pebbles. I've had it happen more than once.

emariani

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello - we have a high pitch noise coming from the passenger front tire. It's been there for over a month and is audible typically when driving slowly or starting from a stopped position. Any ideas? It's not going away and Tesla want to charge $200/hour to diagnose and fix.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello - we have a high pitch noise coming from the passenger front tire. It's been there for over a month and is audible typically when driving slowly or starting from a stopped position. Any ideas?
The description is too vague. Can you try recording it, and show how it changes with speed and direction?