Scorching J-Handle

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My understanding is the defrost setting actually pushes cabin air out of the door handles to thaw them in extreme cold, but I could be totally mistaken there.
That is correct.

Someone made a video showing air escaping through the handles when the fan is on high, but I was unable to locate it just now.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Figured out climate. What temp do you leave it at?
So be careful what you are activating. If you truly leave the AC on to a temp somewhere in the 70 degree range I'm guessing you could chew through 40 miles of battery in a day. You might want to use the feature of leaving the AC on while in eating lunch at a restaurant or a trip in to a grocery store.

The built in feature that keeps the car from being blazing hot is called Cabin Over Heat Protection. It will keep the interior at about 100 to 105 degrees. This is much more reasonable the the 140 or more the car can get to while just sitting in the hot sun with no AC, etc.

Page 106 of the latest manual talks about COHP. This will keep your car from just getting too hot and not use too much battery. On a hot Dallas day with the car sitting in the parking lot 10 to 11 hours I will use an average or 12 to 16 miles of range for keeping the overheat and Sentry mode running during that time.

Here is the excerpt from the manual:

Cabin Overheat Protection
The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model 3. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:

• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection.
  • NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C).
  • ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).
    Note: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20% .

Life0fstacy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So be careful what you are activating. If you truly leave the AC on to a temp somewhere in the 70 degree range I'm guessing you could chew through 40 miles of battery in a day. You might want to use the feature of leaving the AC on while in eating lunch at a restaurant or a trip in to a grocery store.

The built in feature that keeps the car from being blazing hot is called Cabin Over Heat Protection. It will keep the interior at about 100 to 105 degrees. This is much more reasonable the the 140 or more the car can get to while just sitting in the hot sun with no AC, etc.

Page 106 of the latest manual talks about COHP. This will keep your car from just getting too hot and not use too much battery. On a hot Dallas day with the car sitting in the parking lot 10 to 11 hours I will use an average or 12 to 16 miles of range for keeping the overheat and Sentry mode running during that time.

Here is the excerpt from the manual:

Cabin Overheat Protection
The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model 3. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:

• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection.
  • NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C).
  • ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).
    Note: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20% .
I did just the fan. Thanks for that info!

Garlan Garner

Red Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I live in the desert of Southern California. It’s now reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit. After eating lunch with my wife she went to open the door, yelped, flinched, and looked at me in anger (I bought the car, so the event was my fault). The chrome J-Handle baking in the desert sun was super hot. Had to use my shirt to open the door.

Even the inside of the handle that hides in the door was super hot. Might need to invest in Summer handle sleeves to prevent getting the look again. Anyone else experience similar issues? Ideas on how to keep handles aerodynamic and cool? I’m all ears.

Minus that. I love my car. It’s awesome.
Are Tesla handles hotter than ICE car handles?