Scheduled charging time resets each day. Minor nuisance.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am trying to charge my Model 3 each night after 11:30 pm when energy costs w/ PG&E are the lowest. However, each day, the Scheduled Charging setting resets to off and 12:00 am. I then set it again to on and 11:30 pm. I noticed that this is not saved in my driving profile. Do I really need to set it daily? It would seem that this should be a basic profile variable to save. Thanks in advance.

20181212_075901-jpg.19030

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry, what does "saved per location" mean? I only charge at home with a Tesla wall charger.
That I can have scheduled charging at home but if I go somewhere else it will charge as soon as I plug in unless I set scheduled charging for that location too. Once back home, the schedule charging was as it was before for home.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That I can have scheduled charging at home but if I go somewhere else it will charge as soon as I plug in unless I set scheduled charging for that location too. Once back home, the schedule charging was as it was before for home.
Makes sense. I'm currently only charging in one place, home, and my car is resetting the schedule to off and the default of 12:00 am daily.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Makes sense. I'm currently only charging in one place, home, and my car is resetting the schedule to off and the default of 12:00 am daily.
Right. In my experience then, it’s performing incorrectly. Have you tried the reset (holding both scroll wheels until you see the Tesla T)?

Last edited:

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Right. In my experience then, it’s performing incorrect. Have you tried the reset (holding both scroll wheel until you see the Tesla T)?
Ah, so that is how you perform a soft reset? No, I have not done that yet. Thanks.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It still resets to unscheduled, even after a soft reset of the car. I welcome other suggestions.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would get on the blower to Tesla where they may have you conduct a hard reboot.
Thanks. I just familiarized myself with the Model 3 soft reboot. No idea what a hard reboot is - sounds like a full factory reset... Good idea to ping Tesla. In fact, I have a mobile technician coming out next week to add my "dual motor" badge, so I can ask then.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just wrote a submission on the Tesla website and was shown this after hitting submit, "Form submission failed. Please try again later." Argh - still a start-up...

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think I discovered/learned something. Once I returned home, the Tesla immediately jumped onto my WiFi network at home. Once that happened, the charge screen then correctly showed the "scheduled" setting with an 11:30 pm start. I suspect that when I'm on the WiFi network at home, all is well, but when I depart, that the defaults get reset, allowing me to charge at superchargers or other charging stations as I choose. However, I've experienced sitting in my garage with it being "unscheduled" and set to the default, grayed out, at 12:00 am. Wondering if that is simply indicative of a poor WiFi connection at that moment.

In any case, to iChris93's earlier point of the settings being location specific, I think I am now seeing that as well.

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think I discovered/learned something. Once I returned home, the Tesla immediately jumped onto my WiFi network at home. Once that happened, the charge screen then correctly showed the "scheduled" setting with an 11:30 pm start. I suspect that when I'm on the WiFi network at home, all is well, but when I depart, that the defaults get reset, allowing me to charge at superchargers or other charging stations as I choose. However, I've experienced sitting in my garage with it being "unscheduled" and set to the default, grayed out, at 12:00 am. Wondering if that is simply indicative of a poor WiFi connection at that moment.

In any case, to iChris93's earlier point of the settings being location specific, I think I am now seeing that as well.

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments.
I would expect it to set the location by geofencing, not a specific wifi connection though.

to test this, just went out and turned off my wifi. My scheduling remains at 6am.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would expect it to set the location by geofencing, not a specific wifi connection though.

to test this, just went out and turned off my wifi. My scheduling remains at 6am.
Got it. Driven by GPS coordinates, not network. This is helpful. Thank you.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also, make sure you are actually plugged in when changing (or checking) your charging time. It appears that it saves the setting according to geofenced charging spot. If it has a poor fix on your location, and you are not plugged in, it may not think you are close enough to the previously used charging location where you had set the preference. I know weird, but actually being plugged in seems to help.

NYer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also, make sure you are actually plugged in when changing (or checking) your charging time. It appears that it saves the setting according to geofenced charging spot. If it has a poor fix on your location, and you are not plugged in, it may not think you are close enough to the previously used charging location where you had set the preference. I know weird, but actually being plugged in seems to help.
Thank you. That is weird. Never would have guessed that that would have helped, and I likely tried to set the schedule 90%+ of the time without being plugged in at home.

Great inputs and suggestions for all. The Model 3 Owners Club is a huge help for me.