Scan My Tesla official thread (support, suggestions, discussion, feedback)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stop, open the door, step out. Then gat back in, sit and hit the brake so it re-initializes for driving. That at least clears all the errors caused by traction control/Dyno Mode/etc.
OK, it's simple clearng the errors on car. I was thinking/asking to a deep clearing on the memory also , like clearing an error Log History.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, got a question about Max Regen Power. So in my LR RWD, this seems to max out at 85kW, but the most I have been able to actually get is about 66kW with the in car visualization of the green bar getting to the left side of the N. Anyone know or have a theory as to whether the other 19kW is accessible by me in an LR RWD vehicle under some specific scenario? Since dyno mode is out now, has anyone put it into dyno mode and see if they can get that max? Perhaps traction control or something else is limiting it?
On my LR AWD the max regen reached is 76 kW, on max allowed 85.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey @amund7 have you made any progress with the HVAC values that were removed from the app? Also the battery power/rear motor power discrepancy while preconditioning? Sorry to bother, those are a couple things that I use or would like to use a lot and the discrepancy is annoying to see.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey @amund7 have you made any progress with the HVAC values that were removed from the app? Also the battery power/rear motor power discrepancy while preconditioning? Sorry to bother, those are a couple things that I use or would like to use a lot and the discrepancy is annoying to see.
What power discrepancy? You can always log everything and look at them and many other signals closer on a computer. Let me know what else you are looking for.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What power discrepancy? You can always log everything and look at them and many other signals closer on a computer. Let me know what else you are looking for.
Sorry, before I started watching this thread I had emailed amund7 about some things. So here is what I had written to him.. "What I am seeing is at ~50mph(could be a range), with preconditioning on via routing to a supercharger, I am seeing the R power level about ~3kW higher than Battery power "

I did send him a log file that shows it.

Edit: Attached log file. i had to change the extension for it to upload, it is a csv file. I did turn on and off preconditioning while driving to show the effect.

Attachments

Last edited:

R1Fast

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using SMT with an OBDLink LX and after 2-3 days of normal use, the BT connection to the LX seems to fail....Every time it stops working I have to pull the trim off and reset.

Edit: not sure why I didn't find results the first time I searched the thread but I see now this (or similar) is a common issue with the OBDLink LX.

What OBD module in the $40-50 range works WELL without these frequent hangs/disconnects?
So the sleep commands didn't work. 3 days later and the LX stopped connecting again.

So back to my question. What other OBD module has the same packet rates and DOESN'T suffer from sleep issues?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, before I started watching this thread I had emailed amund7 about some things. So here is what I had written to him.. "What I am seeing is at ~50mph(could be a range), with preconditioning on via routing to a supercharger, I am seeing the R power level about ~3kW higher than Battery power "

I did send him a log file that shows it.

Edit: Attached log file. i had to change the extension for it to upload, it is a csv file. I did turn on and off preconditioning while driving to show the effect.
That makes sense, the rear inverter produces an extra 3kW of waste heat to warm the battery the last few miles before the supercharger. You can see that in the data with not just battery current but waste heat demand. Same as when you precondition your car and it makes the same 3kW to heat the battery.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That makes sense, the rear inverter produces an extra 3kW of waste heat to warm the battery the last few miles before the supercharger. You can see that in the data with not just battery current but waste heat demand. Same as when you precondition your car and it makes the same 3kW to heat the battery.
Yes, but that 3kW should be accounted for in Battery Power right? Battery Power should be accounting for all power usage right? The motor produces 3kW of waste heat, but it has to get that 3kW from the battery to do it.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, but that 3kW should be accounted for in Battery Power right? Battery Power should be accounting for all power usage right? The motor produces 3kW of waste heat, but it has to get that 3kW from the battery to do it.
When not plugged in. Otherwise it will pull from the wall charger.

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So the sleep commands didn't work. 3 days later and the LX stopped connecting again.

So back to my question. What other OBD module has the same packet rates and DOESN'T suffer from sleep issues?
Mine started doing this as well.
What sleep commands have you use? I'd like to try those..

Someone mention a crontab script, is it available somewhere? I could probably stuff it into my RaspberryPi.

And I'd also like to know if there are other fast OBD adapters that work w/o hanging.

amund7

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to add more sensor signals to this app? I see that wheel speed sensor signals have been identified, but I don't see them in available sensors?
You can't, but I am open for suggestions, and what's great for me is if you do a bit of validation first, when you find something that you'd like to add:

1. Make a CAN dump when you drive
2. Import that dump into Canbus Analyzer or other canbus software
3. Check that the signals actually work, today, on a current firmware, with our connections
4. Send me those results, including the exact defintions of the signals. It's very quick for me to add to the next release of the app.

We have wheel speeds (actually, 2 sets, 1 for classic and one for "later") Model S and X. I see you have Model 3, but never heard of them being found there, at least not on "our" bus (powertrain bus). If you have found these, please run them through the list and send them to me.

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can't, but I am open for suggestions, and what's great for me is if you do a bit of validation first, when you find something that you'd like to add:

1. Make a CAN dump when you drive
2. Import that dump into Canbus Analyzer or other canbus software
3. Check that the signals actually work, today, on a current firmware, with our connections
4. Send me those results, including the exact defintions of the signals. It's very quick for me to add to the next release of the app.

We have wheel speeds (actually, 2 sets, 1 for classic and one for "later") Model S and X. I see you have Model 3, but never heard of them being found there, at least not on "our" bus (powertrain bus). If you have found these, please run them through the list and send them to me.
Thanks for replying.

I'm new to this, and I was just looking through what seems to be available on JWardell 's DBC list.
Wheel sensors seem to be on Chassis CAN. I guess that's not accessible via this app?

I'll still play with a CAN dump though while generating some wheel spin via dyno mode. Maybe I'll get lucky.

amund7

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for replying.

I'm new to this, and I was just looking through what seems to be available on JWardell 's DBC list.
Wheel sensors seem to be on Chassis CAN. I guess that's not accessible via this app?

I'll still play with a CAN dump though while generating some wheel spin via dyno mode. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Correct, that's a different bus. The app and adapter could theoretically get other buses if the wiring harness is rewired/connected to other pins. But then the app wouldn't understand anything. You could do CAN dumps and analyze with a DBC file for the correct bus, but it hasn't been discussed much, all the way since the beginning with Model S the 'powertrain' bus was sort of agreed upon by the community to be the 'most interesting.'

If you want to dig into it, you could have a look at Comma Cabana and Panda. The Panda can capture several buses simultaneously, 3 I think, and they have a DBC file for a different bus that they care about (with steering and other controls). I tested the Comma Panda, but it doesn't support canbus over ELM327, at all. And I suppose ELM327 wouldn't support multiple buses anyways.