Scan My Tesla official thread (support, suggestions, discussion, feedback)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

amund7

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! I only saw it once . I'm away from the car so I can't check now. I'll let you know. But I'm sure that on "Speed"Tab I have only SOC, Cell Temp Mid and Speed (and if reached, the 0-50 0-60 0-100....)
When it was introduced a few versions ago, the app should have recreated that tab automatically (factory reset this tab) when upgrading. Maybe it didn't work... or you skipped that version :) But try wrench menu -> factory reset this tab, when you're in that tab.

amund7

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's time to bring up an annoying issue that prevents me from using ScanMyTesla most of the time. It is rarely able to connect to the OBDLink LX. I plugged it in permanently a month or so ago, and I think only a day or two was I able to successfully use the app.
I thought this might be caused by the OBDlink being powered for hours not connected to any phone (while it charges, or parked in sentry), but today I made very sure to wake the car with the phone next to the car and it still would not connect. I can hold down the button to place it in blinking pairing mode, and select it from within the bluetooth devices, but the app still fails to connect. Then sometimes randomly it will work.
I'm kind of leaning toward the being an OBDlink issue, but I welcome your thoughts, does anyone else have trouble connecting?
Sorry J, I missed this post completely.

The OBDLinks have a way of hanging - I've been on OBDLink for at least 2 if not 3 years trying to make them fix it. They listen, but never actually do anything about it. At first I thought my app had a bug, and I've spent countless hours trying to fix it. Finally I realized that any app you connect with (for instance BlueTerm), apps will get a connection, you can type to it, but it is completely dead, not even echo works. No response from any commands.

Usually, for me, this happens very rarely, like once a month or less I think. And my app is running in the car 24/7. But, it always hangs after 10-20-30 minutes of doing CAN DUMP (which is basically running STMA = no filters). So I think either memory leak in the OBDLink firmware, or a temperature issue.

Only cure is to unplug/replug the adapter. (Could add a switch if your adapter is well hidden?)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry J, I missed this post completely.

The OBDLinks have a way of hanging - I've been on OBDLink for at least 2 if not 3 years trying to make them fix it. They listen, but never actually do anything about it. At first I thought my app had a bug, and I've spent countless hours trying to fix it. Finally I realized that any app you connect with (for instance BlueTerm), apps will get a connection, you can type to it, but it is completely dead, not even echo works. No response from any commands.

Usually, for me, this happens very rarely, like once a month or less I think. And my app is running in the car 24/7. But, it always hangs after 10-20-30 minutes of doing CAN DUMP (which is basically running STMA = no filters). So I think either memory leak in the OBDLink firmware, or a temperature issue.

Only cure is to unplug/replug the adapter. (Could add a switch if your adapter is well hidden?)
Yes, I've determined it is definitely the OBDlink. And it doesn't help that it is rarely powering down. I would add a switch...if I were ever to permanently install anything, but of course I keep switching out all my different hardware and cables plugged back there.
I also have an MX+ on the way, perhaps that will change things.

scottf200

Country
Country
Have you guys tried my UDPLogger for plotting? https://github.com/amund7/UDPLogger/releases
Super easy to use (if you read the instructions on how to zoom and scroll), and is customized to read Scan My Tesla CSV files. Can choose which signals to show.
I've had mixed luck with it. It also doesn't allow a Left Y axis scale on one set of values and a Right Y axis on another set of values.
DatPlot also lets you create event lines and intersecting values to annotate something. Example below with range and temp on left Y axis and firmware on the right Y axis. Event line shows where FW 2019.40.2.1 started.
DatPlot also lets you create multiple panes (stack and separate graphic screens) if the Left Y axis and Right Y axis is not enough. Example in video on this page: (http://www.datplot.com/features/ )
HTH explain.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I've determined it is definitely the OBDlink. And it doesn't help that it is rarely powering down. I would add a switch...if I were ever to permanently install anything, but of course I keep switching out all my different hardware and cables plugged back there.
I also have an MX+ on the way, perhaps that will change things.
I have OBDLink LX and same issue.
However, since I've crontab'ed a script that turns sentry off for 1 hour somewhere early in the morning and then back on, the car gets a little sleep and 12V powerdown, which resets the OBDlink daily.
Good alternative for a hardware powerflip, and it's been working quite well, now rarely have to unplug/replug. Scanmytesla on 24x7, have a dedicated androidphone with a dataplan which i leave in the car....

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I am just wondering about the Coolant flow rates... Battery Flow, Powertrain Flow... I am sure it is because I have not been looking at this long enough to be in a scenario for those two values to diverge, but can someone tell me if they have seen them diverge. I have only ever seen them both read the EXACT same value which just bothers me.

michi84

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The flow rates are the same as long as the cooling system is running in series mode (battery and motors/inverters on the same cooling loop). As soon as the system switches into parallel mode (battery and powertrain loops separated), the flow rates diverge depending on the cooling demands of the separate loops.

In winter, the only time you will typically see parallel mode is during supercharging when the battery gets warm enough to need active cooling. During driving, both battery and powertrain are cooled via the radiator to maintain about 30-32°C cell temperature. The amount of coolant flowing through the radiator is regulated with the five-way-valve in the "superbottle", the app shows that as "Radiator bypass".

In warm weather, the system switches into parallel mode once about 30°C are reached and cooling via the radiator is insufficient to maintain cell temperature. In parallel mode, the battery will slowly heat up until the threshold for active cooling via the chiller on the A/C system is reached.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope, I have MX, LX and MX+, they all have the same bug.
@amund7 .
is there a way that Tesla in a remote way can detect the cable/dongle while I'm using Scan My Tesla?
I need to go to Tesla service for a small problem on my Model 3. (no software related)
Is it reccommended to remove the cable and the OBDLink LX to restore the original configuration? Or Tesla can consider the warranty no more valid?

amund7

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@amund7 .
is there a way that Tesla in a remote way can detect the cable/dongle while I'm using Scan My Tesla?
I need to go to Tesla service for a small problem on my Model 3. (no software related)
Is it reccommended to remove the cable and the OBDLink LX to restore the original configuration? Or Tesla can consider the warranty no more valid?
Oh I can't tell you what to do, you will have to form your own opinion :) On the S I always removed the stuff when Tesla got the car, just to avoid any hassle or discussion. Also, they themselves plug into that plug when doing diagnosticts (I think). However with the 3, if your dongle is hidden, there shouldn't be a way to detect it.

If you're having problems with the car that could be coming from canbus / comms errors, I would of course remove the un-original wiring harness, both as a step in troubleshooting, but also as it could be an easy thing for Tesla to put the blame on (as it is an un-original part in the car). They loved to blame my 3rd party wheels (with stock dimensions and tires) whenever I had steering or suspension issues on the S...

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@amund7 .
I would strongly encourage you to remove the whole harness whenever you have service.
No, they can't detect it remotely, but they certainly can see it in person. Do you really want to take the chance they blame whatever issues on whatever they find, even if it has nothing to do with it? Not worth the hassle.
More importantly, the less Tesla sees these, the less likely they are to block them in the future. I really don't want to spend all my spare time keeping up with their changes, and that's just in software. They have already changed the connector once.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh I can't tell you what to do, you will have to form your own opinion :) On the S I always removed the stuff when Tesla got the car, just to avoid any hassle or discussion. Also, they themselves plug into that plug when doing diagnosticts (I think). However with the 3, if your dongle is hidden, there shouldn't be a way to detect it.

If you're having problems with the car that could be coming from canbus / comms errors, I would of course remove the un-original wiring harness, both as a step in troubleshooting, but also as it could be an easy thing for Tesla to put the blame on (as it is an un-original part in the car). They loved to blame my 3rd party wheels (with stock dimensions and tires) whenever I had steering or suspension issues on the S...
I would strongly encourage you to remove the whole harness whenever you have service.
No, they can't detect it remotely, but they certainly can see it in person. Do you really want to take the chance they blame whatever issues on whatever they find, even if it has nothing to do with it? Not worth the hassle.
More importantly, the less Tesla sees these, the less likely they are to block them in the future. I really don't want to spend all my spare time keeping up with their changes, and that's just in software. They have already changed the connector once.
Thanks, Yes the main question was if they can detect the whole un-original combo and if it's in use (on Tesla's ears..) while I'm enjoying SMT. I was sure they can't but now i feel better.
I removed the harness just to be sure.
The next question is if they can remotely detect when an external command is set via extarnal app via canbus transmitting with an OBD adapter .

R1Fast

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using SMT with an OBDLink LX and after 2-3 days of normal use, the BT connection to the LX seems to fail (stalls on "Initializing Adapter" in the app). It works fine again if I physically hold the pairing button in on the LX and re-pair to phone, but that's a pain since I stow the OBDLink behind the plastic trim above the OBD plug (e.g. rear bottom of center console). Every time it stops working I have to pull the trim off and reset. I've already had Amazon send a replacement OBDLink LX and it suffers from this as well.

Edit: Disregard - not sure why I didn't find results the first time I searched the thread but I see now this (or similar) is a common issue with the OBDLink LX.

What OBD module in the $40-50 range works WELL without these frequent hangs/disconnects?

Last edited:

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The next question is if they can remotely detect when an external command is set via extarnal app via canbus transmitting with an OBD adapter .
I guess we'll know soon enough if warranties of all those people who tried the 'M3 Unlocked' app get their warranties voided. ;)
I doubt Tesla has enough redundancy to log/save all packets that cause errors with enough precision to tell that a rouge message originated not at one of their sensors.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, Yes the main question was if they can detect the whole un-original combo and if it's in use (on Tesla's ears..) while I'm enjoying SMT. I was sure they can't but now i feel better.
I removed the harness just to be sure.
it is possible or , especially if you generate errors. Tesla can log and look at errors from all over the car. But I haven't seen any reports of them doing that without first contacting service to look at something.
I was certainly very careful not to do anything to cause errors but I inevitably did just shorting the bus out a few times, and certainly this month since I have been triggering traction control which generates a bunch of errors. No issues yet. And MountainPass has been working on their party box for nearly a year and not had an issue.
I am always careful to make sure I clear all the errors before I park the car though.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it is possible or , especially if you generate errors. Tesla can log and look at errors from all over the car. But I haven't seen any reports of them doing that without first contacting service to look at something.
I was certainly very careful not to do anything to cause errors but I inevitably did just shorting the bus out a few times, and certainly this month since I have been triggering traction control which generates a bunch of errors. No issues yet. And MountainPass has been working on their party box for nearly a year and not had an issue.
I am always careful to make sure I clear all the errors before I park the car though.
How to clear the errors before to park the car?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using SMT with an OBDLink LX and after 2-3 days of normal use, the BT connection to the LX seems to fail (stalls on "Initializing Adapter" in the app). It works fine again if I physically hold the pairing button in on the LX and re-pair to phone, but that's a pain since I stow the OBDLink behind the plastic trim above the OBD plug (e.g. rear bottom of center console). Every time it stops working I have to pull the trim off and reset. I've already had Amazon send a replacement OBDLink LX and it suffers from this as well.

Edit: Disregard - not sure why I didn't find results the first time I searched the thread but I see now this (or similar) is a common issue with the OBDLink LX.

What OBD module in the $40-50 range works WELL without these frequent hangs/disconnects?
I have the OBDLink LX and I never had the problem after I developed the practice to use Sentry mode for about 6-8 hours a day and no Sentry mode for the remaining 16-18 hours .

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, got a question about Max Regen Power. So in my LR RWD, this seems to max out at 85kW, but the most I have been able to actually get is about 66kW with the in car visualization of the green bar getting to the left side of the N. Anyone know or have a theory as to whether the other 19kW is accessible by me in an LR RWD vehicle under some specific scenario? Since dyno mode is out now, has anyone put it into dyno mode and see if they can get that max? Perhaps traction control or something else is limiting it?