Scan My Tesla official thread (support, suggestions, discussion, feedback)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Rush

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well my OBD from EMDS and the Samsung tablet finally decieded to talk to each other a couple days ago... Fantastic! I've just placed the tablet in the front compartment of the center console with the lid up. It fits fine in there for now. And then when I'm parked I just put it inside the console so it's not visible.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The PowerPivot function in Excel can handle csv files with millions of lines. It can also create pivot tables and graphs for analyzing the data.
Never heard of that, don't see it...is that the same as PivotTable? But that will only link to a database.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Never heard of that, don't see it...is that the same as PivotTable? But that will only link to a database.
There is an add-in that needs to be activated.
  1. Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
  2. In the Manage box, click COM Add-ins> Go.
  3. Check the Microsoft Office Power Pivot box, and then click OK.
If you don't see the add-in, you may have to download it for free from MS. It is pivot tables on steroids. You can link to databases, text (ie csv) files, etc. It overcomes the size limits for importing data rows in normal Excel sheets. I've connected them to csv files with millions of lines.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/getting-started-with-power-pivot-part-i/

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My two honest suggestions:
1-cutomizable or more meter choices. Like 7 segment LED numbers, real-looking analog gauges, etc. Different sizes too. This is why Torque is so nice. (Maybe even graphs over time?)
2-DBC support or some way of adding custom data
3-Advanced stuff like this is well worth an additional upcharge :)
I second these suggestions. Plus make the parameter selections viewable offline (ie without being connected to the obd adapter or having the car on or in drive), so you can set up each tab prior to driving. And the Perf tab 0-60 needs to be bigger / easier to see. Thanks.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is an add-in that needs to be activated.
  1. Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
  2. In the Manage box, click COM Add-ins> Go.
  3. Check the Microsoft Office Power Pivot box, and then click OK.
If you don't see the add-in, you may have to download it for free from MS. It is pivot tables on steroids. You can link to databases, text (ie csv) files, etc. It overcomes the size limits for importing data rows in normal Excel sheets. I've connected them to csv files with millions of lines.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/getting-started-with-power-pivot-part-i/
There is no Power Pivot to be found int Microsoft app source that comes up when adding add-ins. Searching finds documentation for it, but all the instructions for adding it are out of date. I wonder if they killed it off. Add another tick to why I despise Microsoft products.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

scottf200

Country
Country
The screen is reflecting off both inner and outer surfaces of the windshield glass. I use a piece of teleprompter glass https://www.twowaymirrors.com/product/teleprompter-mirror-sample/ to reflect my tablet.
Thanks. @pavankp had a great reference to one in the other related thread (follow red up arrow next to his name below). You can order a specific size too.
@scottf200 Yes, I experimented with showing on the windshield, including with a reflective film, but didn't like the results. That is why I bought a beamsplitter mirror for my setup. With this, you don't see any double vision, neither in daylight nor at night.

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there an up to date PID file for the Model 3 available? I have used Engine Link for Apple with my Prius for years. Engine Link will let you add custom CSV files or individual PID‘s.

While waiting for Scan My Tesla for Apple devices, it would be nice to see if I can monitor as many PID’s as I can on Engine Link.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Heater Left and Heater Right are reversed.

Duct Left and Duct Right are also reversed.

Verify by un-syncing left and right. Then set right temp to 'LO' and left temp to 'HI' or 80 and air to recirculate. Measure outlet temperature left and right and compare it to the App. You will see they are reversed.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, I haven’t used Android in 5 years. I bought the bundle online which came with a code to download from the play store. How do I use it? Using a 5 or more year old Galaxy tablet.

michi84

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Heater Left and Heater Right are reversed.

Duct Left and Duct Right are also reversed.

Verify by un-syncing left and right. Then set right temp to 'LO' and left temp to 'HI' or 80 and air to recirculate. Measure outlet temperature left and right and compare it to the App. You will see they are reversed.
Is that with firmware 2019.40.2.1? There were some changes.

scottf200

Country
Country
I collected 'all' data from my X and my sons 3 to see the types of things each collected. I merged them and sorted by the names (DataType) to get rid of the direct (name) matches to try to see and show others the differences.

FYI, here are the none matching columns. Note: skipped numbers on the left indicate where the matches were.

Not sure if some of the remaining names could be changed to line up (match). TM3 'R torque' vs TMSX 'Rr torque measured' or 'Rr torque estimate' as an example. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand @amund7 has put a huge effort into his app (with the help from others).

imgur for below

imgur below

imgur below

scottf200

Country
Country
Example of data collected and displayed via DatPlot for my sons AWD TM3 and looking at the front vs rear motor usage. My pre-Raven '17 X with two inductions motors is pretty consistent in both them being used.

Remember:

Here is one graph from DatPlot.
~300 kW peak total being used accelerating from 0-70 mph.
~100 kW (1/3) being used by the front induction motor and
~200 kW (2/3) being used by the rear permanent motor.

~75 kW peak being regen from 70-0 mph.
0 kW being regained from the front induction motor and
~75 kW being regained from the rear permanent motor.

This if 45 mph to 70 mph in 5 mph increments via the wheel. NO front motor usage.

scottf200

Country
Country
There was a question about 2019.40.2.1 and ping-ponging (side to side subtle movements).
I tried to look at this with my car last night.
@amund7 What is the Model 3 'Steering Speed'?

I have a '17 X 100D (non-raven) AP 2.0 --- I did a controlled test for about 1 minutes time with (blue) and without (pink) a weight on steering wheel at 9 o-clock (270 degree). With weight (blue) is consistently above 0 vs pink line.
I used the same stretch of 6 (3+3) lane highway and going the same speed (60 mph). Far right event line is showing where NoA took me on the same exit both time. I liked up the data points to that.
Aside: You can see in the without (pink) where I had to provide torque after getting prompted by my car. See the two 'event' lines.
KEY POINT: is that on my car I do not see any difference for ping-ponging based on the steering angle recorded on ScanMyTesla.

Last edited:

ku7tech

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've made a quick and dirty importer for influxdb in python.
I created this because I'm not a windows user, and wanted to visualise in grafana.

While I've only tested on Linux it should work on all OS.

It uses the CSV format, and names fields as per the the CSV header.

There's a batch importer included as well.

https://github.com/emmertex/scanmytesla_to_influxdb

Attachments

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A MacOS user, "AirDroid" is an excellent utility that creates a Web server on the Android. You can quickly navigate to the folder holding your files and download them onto the Macintosh. It shows an IP address and port that becomes the URL to access the web server. For example http://192.168.0.12:8888. Once opened, it becomes trivial to get the files moved to the MacOS system.
There's also android file transfer https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ which lets you browse it via usb cable. Open a finder-like window with drag-n-drop support

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New user here. I bought the cable for my 2018 LEMR from e-mobility, installed, and connected my bluetooth OBDII adapter ($12 on amazon, if anyone is looking for an inexpensive one).

One thing I have noticed in using this my first day is that I will get occasional nonsensical values. For example, check out this screen shot, paying particular attention to the red box:

nonsense-png.31458

After 10-15 seconds or so, it will refresh the values and it will be correct... and then a few refreshes later I will get nonsense.

Is this expected behavior? I should point out I am using a Amazon Kindle Fire 7 (7th gen) along with the BT OBDII adapter listed above. So it's not like I'm using top-of-the-line stuff here.