[mod edit: link with referral code removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to know in advance that this is enacted at a specific supercharger? Seems wholly unfair to learn upon arrival at a SC that I can't get enough charge to get to next SC/destination. It's rare but there are certainly some locations where 80% just won't cut it!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to know in advance that this is enacted at a specific supercharger? Seems wholly unfair to learn upon arrival at a SC that I can't get enough charge to get to next SC/destination. It's rare but there are certainly some locations where 80% just won't cut it!
Read that if you have a destination set without another SC available it’d let you go past 80%. Wasn’t able to test myself as I had already started the charging.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is a smart new addition to hopefully curb people parking at superchargers to top off, but for those who do not have home charging and rely on superchargers they may be a little upset at this recent change.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Read that if you have a destination set without another SC available it’d let you go past 80%. Wasn’t able to test myself as I had already started the charging.
@shareef777,

Where is the info sheet/specs on this new policy? Main Tesla? Do we have a link? I just charged to 80% last night and didn’t see/get this pop up....however I only set to 80% top-off. 4 of 8 stalls full on start and 3/8 when I left.

Ski

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

jsmay311

Country
Country
Nothing official has been released to the public. Just an internal email that was discovered.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/24/tesla-limiting-supercharger-busy/
I’d seen the same news, but only because I’m a weirdo that reads Tesla/EV forums every day.

It’s pretty pathetic (but, unfortunately, totally in line with Tesla’s past behavior) to push out customer-affecting changes like this with zero notification to customers. It’s a crazy way to run a business.

tesla m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My local SC in Brandon Fl, which is never more than 50% full is showing me the 80% max rule today...during holiday travel.
I used 3 superchargers in your area (and south) and all 3 were limited to 80%. Despite the fact that it was past midnight AND no one else was charging.

I like the idea of limiting high use chargers, but there is zero reason to do it when they are idle.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, it appears that Tesla has borked the enforcement.

Hopefully, Tesla responds as they have before when the Tesla Owners Community have complained. Change it back or improve it.

We've seen that before:

https://electrek.co/2019/01/22/tesla-cuts-supercharger-prices-back-down-customer-backlash/

And they have proved they can assess idle fees when 50% or more of the chargers are in use. Seems reasonable to expect them to enforce 80% limit ONLY when 50% or more chargers are in use.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And it was there all along, although this means there really isn't a limitation, is there?
If this solution works, then this is the best of all worlds.

Basically, you're limited to 80% at peak times (if they fix the enforcement to work correctly). But if your situation really warrants charging higher, then you get to choose whether or not to override it. Hopefully this won't be abused.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If this solution works, then this is the best of all worlds.

Basically, you're limited to 80% at peak times (if they fix the enforcement to work correctly). But if your situation really warrants charging higher, then you get to choose whether or not to override it. Hopefully this won't be abused.
It will certainly be abused, but there will still be fewer owners who charge beyond 80% during these peak times. Hopefully this reduction in usage will be adequate and further limitations will not be needed. I think the bigger question is: Can Tesla's SCr production keep pace with vehicle sales?