San Diego Tint / PPF installers and prices

MadMax

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've configured my Model 3 finally so I've starting looking into options for PPF and tint. It looks like I've missed the other group buy so I thought I would start a thread to see what quotes people are getting. I'm an AZ transplant, and travel back for work and family, so I decided to start there as I assumed it would be cheaper. This company did my current car (PPF + tint) a few years ago and it's been awesome. Interested in more local quotes or experience if anyone has any to share.

SmartFilm (Mesa,AZ)
Tint: Formula One Pinnacle (ceramic)
All windows including rear - $349
(Windshield in Air80 +$150)
PPF: Suntek
Front end kit - $599
(Full hood +$250)
(Full fenders +$250)
Full car - $4000

MadMax

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for posting inspron. My experience echos yours. Most talk is about a few high end shops who no doubt do great work as they should for the margin they are charging.

Did you only have those two PPF deals? No full front? I have a partial on our other car and don't like the line across the hood so I'd rather do a full front. The best prices I've seen in SD is about $1500.

inspron

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for posting inspron. My experience echos yours. Most talk is about a few high end shops who no doubt do great work as they should for the margin they are charging.

Did you only have those two PPF deals? No full front? I have a partial on our other car and don't like the line across the hood so I'd rather do a full front. The best prices I've seen in SD is about $1500.
To be honest, I really want to do the PPF on my car but have been very busy. I'll hit up those guys and try to get a group price set for front-end wraps. Hopefully, it will be a good deal for all. The shop has worked on about 30 model 3s in the last few weeks along. They are very well known for new Model 3 owners in the area. Seems like that's all they do now.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I posted this in another forum - here is the copy and paste:

I am expecting to take delivery of my White Model 3 tomorrow (3/21) after 7 weeks of waiting. Over the last 7 weeks, I have been trying to keep busy by evaluating my tint and wrap options. I literally called over 15 installers in the San Diego areas to evaluate various tint options and price points. Every installer says that they are the best and everyone else lacks experience so it's not easy to differentiate without deep diving into their background. A few days ago I posted a reply on another thread and I received over 20 replies expressing interests in joining a group buy. I spent about 12 hours to perform due diligence before posting this. I am not an expert but I have spent a lot of time reading up and want to share my findings with the community. Obviously, we all have different price points that we are comfortable with so I want to provide various options, even the ones not fit for my own choice.
Criteria for tint selection: Main consideration is High Heat Rejection, experienced installers, focuses on high-end cars without the elitist attitude, value because we are not all made of money, willing to entertain group discount.
Things & people I avoided: installers that can only tint the large back windshield using 2 piece method, shops that charge beyond fair market because they only work on million dollar cars, off-brand tints, cheap tint to make the car look dark but have no heat rejection performance.
Terminology: TSER = Total Solar Energy Rejected. Higher % = more heat rejection. I use the 70%-75% light transmission film as the baseline case for comparison. You can use this benchmark to compare with any other film.
In order of descending price:
Tint Option 1 with Monumental Works: Spectra Photosync [Best highest heat rejection 75% light transmission - TSER 58%] $700 Group Price. If you search Tesla and other forums, you will see many comparisons between Photosync and 3M Crystalline. Overall Photosync gives the best heat rejection period. If your goal is to achieve the best heat rejection, look no further than this option. Unfortunately, only Monumental Works is certified to install this film in San Diego. You can travel to OC or LA if you want to cross-shop other installers. $700 = 4 sides + back window tint. Optional $300 additional to tint front windshield.
http://prestige-films.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/sph_chart-779x1024.jpg

Tint Option 2 with Monumental Works: 3M Crystalline [Very good heat rejection 70% light transmission - TSER 50%] $600 Group Price. During the first of the 6 weeks of my waiting period, I was leaning 3M Crystalline because it is the most well-known film for being the exceptional performer for heat rejection. You can’t go wrong with this choice. Price wise, $600 is a very good price for a highly experienced installer. I have found 1 other shop in Temecula that would do it for $30 less but it wouldn’t be worth the drive. You can cross shop with other places to find bottom dollar installers but I didn’t feel comfortable with those guys. $600 = 4 sides + back window tint. Optional $200 additional to tint front windshield.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/662303O/3mtm-crystalline-automotive-window-films-brochure.pdf

Tint Option 3 : Suntek CIR Removed, the vendor didn't follow through on price list.
Tint Option 4 with Monumental Works: Wincos [Decent heat rejection 70% light transmission - TSER 46%] $450 Group Price. This is a standard IR film but I have not done a lot of research on the specifics. You should do your own homework for this option. $450 = 4 sides + back window tint. Optional $200 additional to tint front windshield.
http://www.wincos-global.com/assets/pdf/automotive/Automotive_Film_Product_List.pdf

Front Bumper Wrap Option 1 with Monumental Works: XPEL [best performance] $450. XPEL is well known for having one of the best paint protection wraps. I was only interested in having the main high-risk area protected, namely the front bumper. $450 = XPEL or 3M front bumper wrap. $350 Solar Guard wrap is their value option although I haven’t done any homework on Solar Guard.
Front Bumper Wrap Option 2: Suntek. Removed, the vendor didn't follow through on price list.
Vendors contact info:
www.monumentalworkx.com Theo (858) 291-8200 Found their contact in the Tesla and TMC forums. Many others have recommended their service and Photosync superiority over 3M Crystalline.

At of the time of this post, I think I will be going with Tint Option 1. I might go with the bumper wrap but I have flip-flopped on this decision many times.
I will be keeping this thread alive for a few months to answer questions from those picking up their Model 3 in March through May 2018. The vendor may pull their promo prices at their discretion. I'll add and remove vendors based on their willingness to participate in the group buy discount.
Group price updated as of 3/26/18
Did you get your windows tinted yet? I just placed my order for a white Model 3 and just started looking for shops to do my tint, clear bra and chrome delete.

inspron

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you get your windows tinted yet? I just placed my order for a white Model 3 and just started looking for shops to do my tint, clear bra and chrome delete.
Yes, I got mine tinted with Photosync, and finally wrapped with XPEL Ultimate from Monumental Works. Love it. So much easier to clean after the wrap.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I got mine tinted with Photosync, and finally wrapped with XPEL Ultimate from Monumental Works. Love it. So much easier to clean after the wrap.
Good to hear. I’m dropping my car off May 1st to get all their specials done and calipers painted. Thanks for getting the group buy for everyone.

inspron

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Per your request, Full Front-End Wrap Options:
https://redd.it/8cqze7

Last edited: