San Diego PPF/Ceramic

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of the information I've found expired or was part of a group buy.

I'm looking to do ceramic on the whole vehicle and a full front wrap. Unfortunately, I've had my car for 2.5 months and have accumulated a decent number of rock chips, especially in the front.

So basically looking to see what's out there as far as:
1) PPF
2) Ceramic
3) Potential body shop/mobile person to remove the slight rock chips (I have the official paint correction paint from Tesla).

Any input is appreciated!

* Monumental Workx quoted me $1850 for PPF.
* 5 Point Auto Spa (in Kearny Mesa) quoted me $1200 for lifetime ceramic. This requires 1x/year $200 touchup and they also charge $300 for prep work to get the car ready for ceramic.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Model 3 is wrapped in XPEL Stealth PPF and also coated with Ceramic Pro PPF & Vinyl. The wrap (for me) is primarily for the satin-finish look, but in general wraps are for paint protection. The Ceramic Pro is more for ease of cleaning and washing. It causes water to bead up and roll off (hydrophobic) and also makes it easy to wipe off most dirt, even without water. You can do one or both. If I were on a tighter budget, I'd first go for a wrap "bra" to protect against the rock chips you experienced. That's something that's hard to repair without painting, etc. Wrapping the rest of the car is optional as is the ceramic coating. The ceramic coating doesn't really do much for the rock chips in my opinion.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
* 5 Point Auto Spa (in Kearny Mesa) quoted me $1200 for lifetime ceramic. This requires 1x/year $200 touchup and they also charge $300 for prep work to get the car ready for ceramic.
$1850 for full front PPF seems reasonable, and $1200 full ceramic coat using a professional grade, multi-coated ceramic coating is also about right. Unfortunately you're going to need paint correction to have the chips fixed up before they apply any of it, so you do have to spend a tad more.

If you find a detailer that can do both, you may be able to get a better discount pricing to have both done at the same time.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of the information I've found expired or was part of a group buy.

I'm looking to do ceramic on the whole vehicle and a full front wrap. Unfortunately, I've had my car for 2.5 months and have accumulated a decent number of rock chips, especially in the front.

So basically looking to see what's out there as far as:
1) PPF
2) Ceramic
3) Potential body shop/mobile person to remove the slight rock chips (I have the official paint correction paint from Tesla).

Any input is appreciated!

I've gone to both shops to get work done on my 3 and had excellent service. Have you tried to bundle the work and see if you can get a discount at 5 Point? I would say vice versa but I know Monumental doesnt do Ceramic. Also you can have them do the paint correction first before putting the PPF.

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah I asked 5 Point about doing the full front and they came in a bit cheaper....I've just read other areas of the country have cheaper options, but I guess I'm "stuck" with this. 1st world problems :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check out Elite Finish off of Miramar Road. They do awesome work.

I had my Model 3 detailed, PPF'd, and ceramic coated there. Excellent shop that will go above and beyond to ensure you are happy.

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check out Elite Finish off of Miramar Road. They do awesome work.

I had my Model 3 detailed, PPF'd, and ceramic coated there. Excellent shop that will go above and beyond to ensure you are happy.
Looks fancy, but their pricing is way above my budget.

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did end up getting full PPF, ceramic and chrome delete done at 5 point and I am very satisfied. There are a few minor little things that need to be corrected still, but I have been in touch with them and they are more than willing to get those corrected when I have time. They definitely care a lot about their work and are willing to do just about anything to make you happy. I won't hesitate to bring my next car there when the time comes.

pankajc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For someone else in the future...

Elite in San Diego is definitely very good, per reviews. I’ve found very good reviews for Adonis at Vista as well. These were my top choices in that order. However about to go to 5 point, who also has great reviews, as they had earliest availability. Earliest appointment with Elite is mid October and Adonis is mid November.
I am nervous so keeping fingers crossed...real hard

P.S. check out info for Adonis on reddit

Last edited:

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Elite in San Diego is definitely very good, per reviews. I’ve found very good reviews for Adonis at Vista as well. These were my top choices in that order. However about to go to 5 point, who also has great reviews, as they had earliest availability. Earliest appointment with Elite is mid October and Adonis is mid November.

I got Ceramic Pro Gold and front PPF done at 5 Point Auto and turned out great. I've reffered others there as well and had no issues. You are in good hands. They def would not have all those reviews and 5 stars if they are not great at what they do. I didnt even notice an issue with my T badge on my frunk after installing PPF and Lucas called me a couple hours I picked up the car letting me know they ordered a new T emblem since they didnt like how the emblem sat on after so I came back the next day and they put on a new badge.

Country
Country

Mine is at Elite right now...can’t wait til pickup.

Their amount of subject knowledge and the time they spent explaining everything sold me. I know my car is in the right hands.

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am about to take my red model 3 in for a full front PPF and he silver package at 5 point. Nervous....
What minor issues did you end up with 5 point @scottismyname ?
I had some rock chips in the front that ended up looking much worse after the PPF was put on since the film couldn't sit flush against the car. This isn't their fault since it's it's just how PPF will behave over a non-smooth surface. I explained to them that I was not very happy with how it looked. He removed the entire front end, had someone come out to smooth over the rock chips in the front, and had the PPF reapplied. It looked a million times better.

The other issue I had was with the mirrors for the chrome delete. He has told me when and where and he'd have someone come out and redo them. I know these mirrors are a giant PITA and that others have had problems with them as well.

The last issue is that they misplaced my HOV decals. He told me to bring my car in when it gets dirty and they'll do a nice detailing job on the house which is more than fair.

Mjp462

Country
Country
My advice is to stay away from a shop in North County called, California Wraps. Complete hack who is way over priced. I should have known better. :(