San Diego deliveries

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suspect this has to do with a push for quarter end somehow. E.G. San Diego is the furthest they can get cars shipped to and hit this quarter. Next week they will probably hit close to the factory. The week after is probably to late for this quarter and will hit east coast hard.
Ya, I don't think so. The difference in time between delivering a truckload of cars to San Diego vs say the Fremont Delivery Center (which is just 1 mile from the factory) is not a month or a week, its not even several days. It only takes 8 hours to drive a truck full of cars from the Factory to San Diego. I don't see how this could possibly be a timing issue. One logical reason is that they are opening a new and large delivery center in San Diego within the next month and as a result they will have a lot of capacity to deliver there.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ya, I don't think so. The difference in time between delivering a truckload of cars to San Diego vs say the Fremont Delivery Center (which is just 1 mile from the factory) is not a month or a week, its not even several days. It only takes 8 hours to drive a truck full of cars from the Factory to San Diego. I don't see how this could possibly be a timing issue. One logical reason is that they are opening a new and large delivery center in San Diego within the next month and as a result they will have a lot of capacity to deliver there.
My wife was saying the exact same thing! Since San Diego currently doesn't have a delivery center, and they've said for sure that they're making one, then it's very likely it'll be ready soon.

Oil Freedom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since San Diego currently doesn't have a delivery center, and they've said for sure that they're making one, then it's very likely it'll be ready soon.
San Diego does have a delivery center; it's co-located with the service center in Miramar. :) A new / larger delivery center will be nice.

inspron

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Folks, I live about 1 mile away from San Diego Delivery / Service Center. Trust me when I tell you it's a small site for such a large operation. There are probably around 70 Teslas stuffed around the building. I don't think Tesla opening up the order books for San Diego is indicative of this particular delivery center being able to handle a large number of deliveries.

Day 21 and still no VIN for me. White, 18" aeros.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Folks, I live about 1 mile away from San Diego Delivery / Service Center. Trust me when I tell you it's a small site for such a large operation. There are probably around 70 Teslas stuffed around the building. I don't think Tesla opening up the order books for San Diego is indicative of this particular delivery center being able to handle a large number of deliveries.

Day 21 and still no VIN for me. White, 18" aeros.
And it's next to an open rock quarry - the cars get filthy when the winds blow. Hope they find a better site. A perfect site would be the old Pontiac/GMC dealership off of Miramar Road by the 805.

Joaquin

Country
Country
Trust me when I tell you it's a small site for such a large operation.
Either they are actually building a new huge delivery center to be ready in 2-3 weeks (is this possible?), or somebody messed up sending out those invites too early, and they will need to wait longer for delivery than the usual 3-5 weeks.

nameless

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I think I found one of their future locations in San Diego. 5600 Kearny Mesa Road, just off 163 and Clairemont Mesa, former site of a Harley dealership. Tesla got a bunch of permits pulled for the building at the end of January.
At present, the building is completely empty, inside and out, don't bother trying to visit, nothing there to see. Must be a ways off from opening.

There may be others, but I did not find any yet. Searching through San Diego permits is like pulling teeth. I basically have to eyeball through weekly permit reports in a PDF form (even text search does not always work.) As best as I can tell, there aren't any other permits associated with Tesla either in the city or in the county at least as far as end of November.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I found one of their future locations in San Diego. 5600 Kearny Mesa Road, just off 163 and Clairemont Mesa, former site of a Harley dealership. Tesla got a bunch of permits pulled for the building at the end of January.
At present, the building is completely empty, inside and out, don't bother trying to visit, nothing there to see. Must be a ways off from opening.

There may be others, but I did not find any yet. Searching through San Diego permits is like pulling teeth. I basically have to eyeball through weekly permit reports in a PDF form (even text search does not always work.) As best as I can tell, there aren't any other permits associated with Tesla either in the city or in the county at least as far as end of November.
The delivery center in Fremont (about a mile south of the Factory) is very stealth, its in an industrial/office park area away from any retail or foot traffic with a huge parking lot in the back that can not be seen from the street. If there was not a sign out in front no one would know what it is. Just mentioning this because it is possible that a San Diego delivery center is being prepared stealth and no one would know about it until they put a sign up and start trucking in hundreds of cars.

If a new San Diego delivery center is not going to open in the next 4-8 weeks I am completely stumped why so many 3/3/16 San Diego reservations including some on-line have been invited.

nameless

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The delivery center in Fremont (about a mile south of the Factory) is very stealth, its in an industrial/office park area away from any retail or foot traffic with a huge parking lot in the back that can not be seen from the street. If there was not a sign out in front no one would know what it is. Just mentioning this because it is possible that a San Diego delivery center is being prepared stealth and no one would know about it until they put a sign up and start trucking in hundreds of cars.

If a new San Diego delivery center is not going to open in the next 4-8 weeks I am completely stumped why so many 3/3/16 San Diego reservations including some on-line have been invited.
Yeah, that's why I think this is not THE location. It is not particularly large, either. I will dig through the permits some more.
Does the Fremont location have onsite chargers? Tesla definitely needs to get permits to install those, if nothing else, charger permits should show up in the system.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, that's why I think this is not THE location. It is not particularly large, either. I will dig through the permits some more.
Does the Fremont location have onsite chargers? Tesla definitely needs to get permits to install those, if nothing else, charger permits should show up in the system.
The Fremont Delivery center has a large inside shop area where the cars are detailed and charged, no super-chargers outside available for the public.

bsegel

I got my invite to configure on Wednesday as well. San Diego resident, reserved online as soon as the site went live. Not a current Tesla owner.

I've been reading through all the comments and speculations as to why some of us were moved ahead of those who stood in line and I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the states clean vehicle rebate program. Here in California when you purchase a new EV you are eligible for up to a $7000 rebate from the state. I qualify for $2500, which is the amount most people qualify for. As of January the state is trying out a pilot program just here in San Diego. We are able to pre-quilfiy for the rebate and if accepted use the rebate as a down payment on the car instead of waiting until we do our taxes next year.

According to the site (I'll post the link below) the state has worked with certain companies who sell EV's, Tesla is on the list, and will send the payment directly to Tesla when I order.

That may in some way be playing a role into why those of us in San Diego are getting so many invites. Tesla is working with the state to beta test this new program.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my invite to configure on Wednesday as well. San Diego resident, reserved online as soon as the site went live. Not a current Tesla owner.

I've been reading through all the comments and speculations as to why some of us were moved ahead of those who stood in line and I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the states clean vehicle rebate program. Here in California when you purchase a new EV you are eligible for up to a $7000 rebate from the state. I qualify for $2500, which is the amount most people qualify for. As of January the state is trying out a pilot program just here in San Diego. We are able to pre-quilfiy for the rebate and if accepted use the rebate as a down payment on the car instead of waiting until we do our taxes next year.

According to the site (I'll post the link below) the state has worked with certain companies who sell EV's, Tesla is on the list, and will send the payment directly to Tesla when I order.

That may in some way be playing a role into why those of us in San Diego are getting so many invites. Tesla is working with the state to beta test this new program.

No, it's not a California-wide rebate thing. If you go through the spreadsheet of reservations, you can see that almost all of the non-owner San Diegans got invited on Feb 28th, no matter when they reserved on the first day. Ahead of other California locations (*cough* *cough*) that reserved earlier.

#NotBitter

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Oh, sorry, missed the pre-approval aspect.

That's nice, for San Diegans, though I still kind of don't understand why it changes the priority. I mean, a San Diegan would still get instant payment later.

Unless of course, if people think the funds will run out, or get clawed back somehow and eliminated from this year's tax returns. Really pays to be in San Diego if that's the case.

bsegel

No, it's not a California-wide rebate thing. If you go through the spreadsheet of reservations, you can see that almost all of the non-owner San Diegans got invited on Feb 28th, no matter when they reserved on the first day. Ahead of other California locations (*cough* *cough*) that reserved earlier.

#NotBitter
San Diego is the only county that is eligible for the trial pre-pre-approvval for the CA rebate. Everyone else in CA has to wait and claim their rebate at the end of the year.

bsegel

Oh, sorry, missed the pre-approval aspect.

That's nice, for San Diegans, though I still kind of don't understand why it changes the priority. I mean, a San Diegan would still get instant payment later.

Unless of course, if people think the funds will run out, or get clawed back somehow and eliminated from this year's tax returns. Really pays to be in San Diego if that's the case.
I'm just speculating that it might have had something to do with all of this, it may not.

RunCycle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
San Diego is the only county that is eligible for the trial pre-pre-approvval for the CA rebate. Everyone else in CA has to wait and claim their rebate at the end of the year.
The rebate isn't a yearly tax-type thing. It is just a rebate. You apply for it after you get the car. If you are getting pre-approved, then you can get it *when* you buy the car.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Interesting concept, this is certainly a possibility explaining the clear favoritism given to San Diego reservations.