Roof Glass Stress Cracks, vol. 2

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I felt that it was important to revisit the subject of the roof glass (midsection) stress cracks appearing on current Model 3s. Please remember that this forum does not tolerate disrespectful or uncivilized comments. Sharing knowledge and experiences will benefit us all and shutting down threads that get out of control benefits no one.

So earlier this week, prolific YouTuber Ben Sullins posted his own roof glass crack with no apparent precipitating physical damage. Somewhat hilariously, the three small cracks rapidly expanded into a crack shaped like the Tesla logo. This is not an isolated case and these are only the cases that we hear about publicly.

Obviously there is a stress/body flex issue here and we will have to see how this plays out.

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had totally forgotten about this video. I have almost the exactly the same issue. Same location on roof, same shape (I thought it looked like a tree, totally missed the Tesla logo similarity) Similar circumstances from what I can tell as well, driving on a highway on a hot day.

theblindtree

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just encountered this the other day as well. I only noticed as I sat in the car while it was Supercharging. Contacted Tesla but no real movement yet. I was told there may be a delay due to obtaining a replacement part.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Just encountered this the other day as well. I only noticed as I sat in the car while it was Supercharging. Contacted Tesla but no real movement yet. I was told there may be a delay due to obtaining a replacement part.
Sorry to hear. VIN number and picture of the crack please. Trying to determine if this is limited to early builds or is an issue for later builds also.

If there is a long delay in obtaining the part, you might request a loaner as this is a structural component and may be dangerous to continue driving when cracked significantly.

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Vin and delivery date are in my signature. The SC replaced my roof section under warranty. They had seen 2 other similar cases as of Wed. this week. This was my first interaction with Tesla service. While the lady on the phone was nice and eventually very helpful, she seemed to get confused on occasion. The service rep at the SC was fantastic. The service was completed ahead of schedule to help with my personal travel plans. I couldn't reasonably ask for a better experience.

theblindtree

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear. VIN number and picture of the crack please. Trying to determine if this is limited to early builds or is an issue for later builds also.

If there is a long delay in obtaining the part, you might request a loaner as this is a structural component and may be dangerous to continue driving when cracked significantly.
VIN 255xx here. I'm now scheduled to head to Nashville Tuesday morning for service. They're going to determine if it's a stress fracture to cover under warranty (even they seemed positive it would be) but also gave a cost breakdown for replacement (+/- $1000).
I still find it a wonder how it forms a Tesla "T." :)

Attachments

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
VIN 255xx here. I'm now scheduled to head to Nashville Tuesday morning for service. They're going to determine if it's a stress fracture to cover under warranty (even they seemed positive it would be) but also gave a cost breakdown for replacement (+/- $1000).
I still find it a wonder how it forms a Tesla "T." :)
It’s a security feature.

No T crack, no warranty replacement.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Because of the crazy jumping around with the Model 3 VINs, perhaps build date (mm/yy) from the door sticker would help us better understand if there’s a pattern.
@PTC Gator was a 5/18 build and I suspect @theblindtree was probably June or July build. That’s concerning because Ben Sullins was told his issue was limited to early build which doesn’t seem to be the case.

Gray

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same iconic Tesla crack in roof glass this past Tuesday. Hot day here in Portland, and took car thru a Touchless carwash. Pop! as soon as the cold water hit the roof, looked up and received The Icon. Seems to be in the exact same spot as other postings. 4/23 Config, June build, VIN 318xx.

Attachments

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Same iconic Tesla crack in roof glass this past Tuesday. Hot day here in Portland, and took car thru a Touchless carwash. Pop! as soon as the cold water hit the roof, looked up and received The Icon. Seems to be in the exact same spot as other postings. 4/23 Config, June build, VIN 318xx.
Wow. Just built last month. Not a good sign.

Plus, you mentioned you were going through a car wash so presumably low torsional stress on the frame.

It does seem like most of these cracks are occurring in warmer weather/sunny climates. If this is a thermal issue, hopefully Tesla can change the glass material slightly to fix the problem. That’s a lot better than a structural stress issue which would be MUCH harder to retroactively fix.

kbb

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Driving home yesterday I also noticed the Telsa logo thermal stress crack in my front roof glass. (June 2018, 313xx)
Crack is through outer layer of glass and did not split through the vinyl interlayer. Definitely consistant with thermal stress: perpendictual to edge with no visible impact point. No extreme heat temps or car washes yesterday either. Just a normal, high of 83F, Detroit day.

Attachments

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hopefully if they do end up with a half million of these cars on the road there will be some aftermarket replacement options available in the future. Possibly like an integrated power sunroof.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Driving home yesterday I also noticed the Telsa logo thermal stress crack in my front roof glass. (June 2018, 313xx)
Crack is through outer layer of glass and did not split through the vinyl interlayer. Definitely consistant with thermal stress: perpendictual to edge with no visible impact point. No extreme heat temps or car washes yesterday either. Just a normal, high of 83F, Detroit day.

View attachment 12564 View attachment 12565 View attachment 12566 View attachment 12567
@kbb,

I’m assuming no tint correct?

Ski

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Guys! I just noticed a huge crack on the top glass !! its not due to impact seems like some kind of stress fracture of somesort, Contacted the SC and hope they will take care of it. Anyone experience this before?
There have been some reports, but the Model 3 Owners Survey shows that it's quite rare. You just got a bad ticket in the glass lottery, unfortunately. Such is glass.

They'll fix you right up, though :)