Roadster - Single Windshield Wiper

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Curt Renz

Country
Country
Benzinga - this morning: Windshield Wiper

Excerpt:

Now a new patent shared by Teslarati shows even the windshield wipers will have a design never before seen. The wiper will be electromagnetic and have one giant blade on a rail. This would allow one giant wiper blade to move from one side of the windshield to the other, clearing the entire windshield of rain.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's pretty awesome. Other than a linear actuator replacing the usual motor, it's not too different from a normal wiper.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm kind of expecting this on the Cybertruck at least, possibly even the Roadster. I just makes sense if you think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Curt Renz

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Red Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Benzinga - this morning: Windshield Wiper

Excerpt:

Now a new patent shared by Teslarati shows even the windshield wipers will have a design never before seen. The wiper will be electromagnetic and have one giant blade on a rail. This would allow one giant wiper blade to move from one side of the windshield to the other, clearing the entire windshield of rain.

The only reason I trust that this will work is because of Tesla's past. They produce some mechanically fantastic stuff. However, I can't figure out how its going to work in the wind - when its not raining.

What is the top speed of this car?

skygraff

re member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has potential to be better in snow and ice as well. Without an ICE to warm the wiper stowage area, I find the model 3 wipers cake up easily.

Curt Renz

Country
Country
...However, I can't figure out how its going to work in the wind - when its not raining...

Did you read the full article? Here is a pertinent excerpt:

When not in use, the wiper blade will be tucked away under the hood. This allows a nicer looking vehicle, while also aiding in aerodynamics to keep the car as efficient as possible. Tesla's currently vehicles also hide the windshield wipers under the hood when not in use, although the current system is similar to what's found in other vehicles.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only reason I trust that this will work is because of Tesla's past. They produce some mechanically fantastic stuff. However, I can't figure out how its going to work in the wind - when its not raining.
It's anchored at the bottom below the hood line, just like any other Tesla wiper. It just uses a linear motor to move the whole thing left and right instead of spinning it with a traditional radial motor.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has potential to be better in snow and ice as well. Without an ICE to warm the wiper stowage area, I find the model 3 wipers cake up easily.
The biggest issue with how Tesla does their wipers is the aerodynamic necessity of tucking them under the hood. Snow and ice build up in there and when not in use in the cold any moisture sticks to them since they’re not in the slipstream.
It’s a matter of trade offs I guess. One solution would be to ensure the wiper stowage area to have heater lines or even heated fluid.
As for the single wiper I don’t really foresee any operational issues other than the linear guide rail, that would definitely need to be heated or some other weather stripping to keep it sealed from the elements.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Red Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The biggest issue with how Tesla does their wipers is the aerodynamic necessity of tucking them under the hood. Snow and ice build up in there and when not in use in the cold any moisture sticks to them since they’re not in the slipstream.
It’s a matter of trade offs I guess. One solution would be to ensure the wiper stowage area to have heater lines or even heated fluid.
As for the single wiper I don’t really foresee any operational issues other than the linear guide rail, that would definitely need to be heated or some other weather stripping to keep it sealed from the elements.

I don't plan for my Roadster ( w/spaceX option ) to ever see snow or rain.

Hopefully I will never need the wipers.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
the spacex version will show your daily launch window on the display

You're also supposed to have 3 of them at any given time. And when you crash one, say that it's actually a good thing because you learned a lot about the engineering and physics of it.

• Funny
Reactions: iChris93

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You're also supposed to have 3 of them at any given time. And when you crash one, say that it's actually a good thing because you learned a lot about the engineering and physics of it.
Elon said they won’t release the roadster until they master backing in the garage.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't understand your statement.

We were talking about snow and rain on the wipers.
Yes we were. Sorry to take it off subject. But if you would like to avoid rain it will show you the best window opportunity for beautiful driving weather each day, by looking at the app or display. Basically the automatic off mode for your wipers.

Last edited:

$ Trillion Musk

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
That's pretty awesome. Other than a linear actuator replacing the usual motor, it's not too different from a normal wiper.

Nice how the wiper blade sweeps all the way to the angled edges of the windshield.

I wonder if having 2 or maybe even 4 blades would reduce the stress on the mechanism. (Tucking them out of sight is yet another story.)

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Red Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes we were. Sorry to take it off subject. But if you would like to avoid rain it will show you the best window opportunity for beautiful driving weather each day, by looking at the app or display. Basically the automatic off mode for your wipers.

hmmmmm

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
To get even more off topic, in the spacex model, Routes should be renamed Missions, And there will be screens dedicated to Mission command and control. Mission modes like track, escape velocity, touring, errand, commute, valet, novice ( or chill from beach buggy) and cruising (for just showing off) modes. Fart mode will not be needed to be cool in the roadster

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lancia Sibilo from 1978

roadster wipers with a cyber truck design.
Still waiting for it to be released just like the roadster

21EE3033-EB32-4CCB-AC03-A6D91F3220D5.jpeg
8DCA6516-D454-4517-987A-3B7CD3E4A0C7.jpeg
261DE965-69E8-48A3-9CD1-05647E1EFFBC.jpeg

Reactions: $ Trillion Musk

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.