Road trip meetup (and suggestions) in Quebec and Toronto

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello folks! This summer, I’m going on a ~10K mile road trip around the U.S. and Canada in my Model 3. I’ll be visiting Eastern Canada in July/August from the Western U.S. I’ll be in Quebec 7/31 and Toronto 8/1.

I’m looking for vegan food recommendations (especially poutine) and company. Also appreciated, good places for car camping.

Thanks!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello folks! This summer, I’m going on a ~10K mile road trip around the U.S. and Canada in my Model 3. I’ll be visiting Eastern Canada in July/August from the Western U.S. I’ll be in Quebec 7/31 and Toronto 8/1.

I’m looking for vegan food recommendations (especially poutine) and company. Also appreciated, good places for car camping.

Thanks!
Hey Kizzy, sounds like a fabulous trip. I spent a month on the road in April/May car camping for 12,000 miles. I slept in the car every night for 27 nights and never knew where I would sleep each night until that afternoon. I stayed off the interstate as much as possible, probably only about 15% of my miles were interstate travel. When I " left my home in Georgia", I had only one defined stop, SeaTac, to pick up my wife, who spent one week car camping with me. I slept mostly in state and provincial parks hopefully on a 50a plug(running heat or air overnight costs about 2 miles per hour of charge. I ran the heat every night and played white noise on my Iphone. I covered my windows with black towels and my windshield with a cheap wal-mart cover. I used a 5"x35"x72" Zinus tri-fold gel foam mattress which remained deployed in the back for the entire trip. I was so remarkably comfortable that I had to sleep in the car for a couple of nights after returning before I could sleep comfortably in my bed at home. In Spring camping without reservations was almost never a problem, but your summertime trip will probably require some pre-planning and reservations. One warning with regard to camping. My wife and I discovered, late in the trip, that even though the doors are locked while you're camping, anyone can walk up and open your doors because your phone is in proximity. I haven't discovered a workaround short of turning off the phone that I need to use overnight. Perhaps someone here has a solution?

Charging was never an issue for me. I would criss-cross the interstate to supercharge, and get a full overnight charge at my campsite. As the trip wore on, I spent more and more nights in hotel parking lots near the supercharger. This felt a bit nervy at first, but the more I did it, the more I realized that no one cared. Shower facilities were my biggest issue. Virtually all state parks in the southern US have showers, but the further north you go, the most uncommon they become(winter freezing hazard, I presume). While doing my a.m. supercharge(most are located in hotel lots), I'd go in and ask the clerk if I could shower with my own stuff in a used room or their pool area. The answer was always yes. Another solution is a gym membership at a large national chain, like planet fitness. Truck stops have showers, but I didn't try that. I will admit to an occasional hotel sink clean-up a couple of times when all else failed.

While the in-car nav is more than adequate, carry a good atlas or individual state maps to help you make spur-of-the-moment route changes. The ability to change my general plan on a whim was probably my favorite thing about my trip. While charging, I'd pull out my atlas a see if anything of interest was near-by on my next leg. For me, curvy mountain roads were a huge attraction! Be aware that when you pull up the list of near-by superchargers on the nav screen, the mileage shown to those SC's in badly understated. Make sure you navigate to your next charging stop, and that you are comfortable that you can make it, or that there is a closer plan B. If the car tells you to slow down in the first 20 miles of a leg don't worry about it(it takes that long for the car to accurately estimate that leg}. After 20 miles, if the car tells you to slow down, then do it, or make alternate charging plans. The car has a pretty damn good idea how far it can go.

Get out and meet some folks at superchargers. This was another of my favorite things. Virtually all Model3 owners WANT to talk Tesla, ModelS owners are 50/50, and ModelX owners generally are too good for us. I carried food, snacks, and drinks in a flat coleman plastic cooler that stays in my frunk, so I have no advice about food. Don't know nothin' 'bout poutine, there are some places that gravy don't belong.

This post has gotten away from me a bit. Sorry I've run on, but I had been planning to post this stuff since I returned and hadn't gotten around to it. If you have other specific questions feel free to PM me, and HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks!
if you come up I-5 let me know! would be great to meet up for a quick "HI" :)
Portland has all sorts of vegan choices