Road/Tire Noise

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Urs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anybody been able to reduce the tire/road noise on rough pavements? It is like sitting inside a drum or a resonating chamber on certain road surfaces. Other surfaces are very quiet./
I already tried to stuff the frunk and the the trunk with pillows and blankets - hardly any difference. I even glued some carpet inside the wheel wells (temporary) with very little effect.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is louder on certain pavement for me as well. But I chalk that up to the 19” wheels and low profile tires. That said it is still quieter than my Leaf or our Frontier PU

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the 19s as well and haven't noticed too loud of road noise. However, I just installed the MaxPider Kagu floor mats and noticed they claim to be soundproof. I haven't tested this out yet but it probably couldn't hurt.
screenshot_20180529-194945-png.9385

Has anybody been able to reduce the tire/road noise on rough pavements? It is like sitting inside a drum or a resonating chamber on certain road surfaces. Other surfaces are very quiet./
I already tried to stuff the frunk and the the trunk with pillows and blankets - hardly any difference. I even glued some carpet inside the wheel wells (temporary) with very little effect.

CrunchyLumpia

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I want to say that the road noise isn't that bad on the Model 3 (15XXX Vin). I took a trip from Fresno to Sunnyvale Tesla Service Center (had to get some items addressed when I took delivery a month ago) and it was pretty quiet. I did, however, have the RPMTesla rubber tubbing around glass roof. I want to say that the loaner Model S they gave me had a bit more noise than my Model 3. But ... YMMV :p

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Make sure to read through the whole thread. NVHarmony answers a lot of questions, and gives a lot more detail.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
However, I just installed the MaxPider Kagu floor mats and noticed they claim to be soundproof. I haven't tested this out yet but it probably couldn't hurt.
I suspect floor mats won't make much of a difference since the battery tray extends the full length of the cabin floor. I can't imagine much sound gets through 800 lbs. of battery!

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure if that make a difference or not. Both of our cars are very quiet, but I found the soundproofing claim to be interesting, they cover almost the entire cabin floor, and it certainly hasn't increased the sound. I would suspect it all depends where people are hearing the noises enter from. After all, poor fluffer bot lost his job because he wasn't necessary (and didn't work correctly).

I suspect floor mats won't make much of a difference since the battery tray extends the full length of the cabin floor. I can't imagine much sound gets through 800 lbs. of battery!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is louder on certain pavement for me as well. But I chalk that up to the 19” wheels and low profile tires. That said it is still quieter than my Leaf or our Frontier PU
I've noticed the same thing immediately after delivery - quiet on freshly-paved roads, ultra-loud on rough pavements. Mine has the 18" wheels with supposedly-quiet Michelin tires, so I don't know that the 19" wheels are the cause (they may make things worse). By way of reference my other car is a 2015 Model S (which I thought was noisy enough but feels a lot quieter than my Model 3), and prior to that my other cars have been entry-luxury Lexus cars (ES, RX), which are super-quiet and comfortable compared with Teslas (despite which I'll stick with Tesla).

Here's the crazy thing: most people seem to think our Model 3 is quiet. Could it be a perception issue? If so, what is the pattern? Perhaps it's age-related? I've noticed older people find it noisy, youngsters the opposite. Or does it have to do with the cars people were used to driving prior to sitting in a Model 3? Comments, anyone?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've noticed the same thing immediately after delivery - quiet on freshly-paved roads, ultra-loud on rough pavements. Mine has the 18" wheels with supposedly-quiet Michelin tires, so I don't know that the 19" wheels are the cause (they may make things worse). By way of reference my other car is a 2015 Model S (which I thought was noisy enough but feels a lot quieter than my Model 3), and prior to that my other cars have been entry-luxury Lexus cars (ES, RX), which are super-quiet and comfortable compared with Teslas (despite which I'll stick with Tesla).

Here's the crazy thing: most people seem to think our Model 3 is quiet. Could it be a perception issue? If so, what is the pattern? Perhaps it's age-related? I've noticed older people find it noisy, youngsters the opposite. Or does it have to do with the cars people were used to driving prior to sitting in a Model 3? Comments, anyone?
I rode in my wife's Frontier PU the other day and even though it rides nice on 19" truck tires (Michelins), the road noise combined with the engine is noticeably louder than my 3. So when I think the 3 is loud and I get in the PU or the LEAF, I am again reset how quiet it relative to my other vehicles now. We may be getting use to the 3 so that we get a louder road, it is noticeable.

chinna Na

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All you have to do get rid of that drum sound is reduce inflation. Tesla spec'ed overzealous air pressure for tires. You might have read Musk comment about it around 38-39 being more comfortable. But I reduced mine only little bit to 41 rear and 40 front, and it made substantial difference in sound. Though door placard says 42PSI, mine was delivered with 45. I did not see any difference in range either with 40. 41 PSI.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here in Oregon, where they allow studded tires (or road ripper uppers) when driving on any surface more than 5 years old the model 3 is very noisy, to the extent that the Bluetooth phone is worthless as nobody can hear me due to the background noise. It’s very frustrating and I am not sure what I can do to fix it and the only thing I dislike about my car. Maybe it’s because I am used to driving a Mercedes E350 and a BMW but it’s even worse than the 2012 Volt I drove for several years.