Rivian Automotive

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Courtesy of Teslarati, interesting news about yet another somewhat mysterious automotive start-up... As the article said, having a plant puts them one step ahead of FF... yet when will they open up more about the car?
Coming soon... says the intro clip... :)

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Super impressed with their offerings. Let's hope they're on time and have solid financial footing to bring them to market!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I paid to reserve one a few days ago. While I really like my Model 3, I miss the hatchback on my Gen1 Volt (the only way to move my bass cabinets between gigs is in the back seats). Also, I plan on doing the RV-thing within the next few years, but didn't want to get an ICE truck if I could help it. We shall have to see if the reviews of the R1T in 2020/2021 convince me to spend more money or ask for the refund!

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they launch on time and the final specs are anywhere near what they revealed, then this truck will have a huge impact on the market. They won't be blows to Tesla, as Tesla plans to launch a larger truck more suitable for work and heavy loads. They'll be blows to the legacy automakers hiding behind ICE & hybrid trucks. *ahem GM & Ford*

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they launch on time and the final specs are anywhere near what they revealed, then this truck will have a huge impact on the market. They won't be blows to Tesla, as Tesla plans to launch a larger truck more suitable for work and heavy loads. They'll be blows to the legacy automakers hiding behind ICE & hybrid trucks. *ahem GM & Ford*
Somewhere, Dodge is crying.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m very interested in this as well. 400 miles is twice as much range as my FJ Cruiser.

- If there are DCFS charging spots near many of the trails or if they can use Tesla’s supercharger network then this can be doable as an overlanding adventure vehicle. I wouldn’t do the Rubicon with it however trails like Moab or Ourey would be just fine.
- Wonder how much range would drop if you had things mounted on the overhead rack or a roof top tent on the bed like the vide (notice they don’t show the truck actually driving with the RTT)
- Wonder how much range you can extend by carrying an onboard generator to charge the battery while parked/ camping or if you carried solar panels with you and left them out for a day while camping. If you can get 50 to 100 miles that should be enough to get back to a main road and charging spots.
- Kinda wish that central light bar was actually a combination offroad spot/ driving LED light bar... I’m sure the aftermarket will have something to stick in there and they can only do an accent light for NHTSA regulations.
- also my wife and I love the Chilewich floor mats... lol
- with individual motors at all 4 wheels... it can be programmed to act as lockers for serious offroading + isntant slow easy torque... thing Toyota’s crawl control.

Wonder if the Tesla Truck or Model Y will just be a CUV or an actual offroader.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I had an interesting conversation with someone today while at a supercharger.

To protect that person's position, I'll keep the conversation details to a minimum.

Ford has siloed the folks working on the real EV stuff.

They and assets from Rivian are "isolated, independent and like a tech upstart".

Ford "realized that building EV F150s has rendered any corporate mechanical engineering experience in making ICE F150s (obsolete).

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well maybe for the drivetrain. I would think that suspension and vehicle dynamics could transfer. One thing Ford is very good at is isolating the cab from the frame so it is very quiet. Not just from drivetrain noise but also from road vibrations and non-flatness. Overall packaging is very different but I would think greatly simplified. There are no high temperature components to deal with and moving parts only within the suspension. They already have electric power steering, Led lighting, and other similarities. My 2011 has fuses but also FET control of circuits like headlights. Electric power brakes will be a little different but Tesla uses a Bosch booster so there are OEM suppliers.
If they do buy the skateboard from Rivian, they will have most of the drivetrain complete.
I guess engine and transmission guys will be looking for jobs.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
being able to go through ~3' of water would be pretty awesome.

looking forward to the unveil.
Saw a YouTube video interviewing a Rivian rep.

Can go through 3 feet water depth. Says could go deeper, except flotation happens.

i suppose the rubber still needs to meet the “road.”

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Saw a YouTube video interviewing a Rivian rep.
It's relatively easy for a company to spend millions of dollars to make a handful of awesome vehicles.

We really need Rivian to come up with a manufacturing plan. They're sitting on an absolute GOLD MINE of a concept, and they're taking forever to actually start producing and selling it.

Madmolecule

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like Rivian will need to focus on the Amazon Delivery Van to meet their commitments. That should take up a lot of their resources. It hasn't been easy for Tesla to develop a spec vehicle to be sold to the masses. The demand is there but I am also a sceptic they they can come close to pulling it off. There is still distribution, charging and service. These things Tesla is still struggling with. I imagine that Rivian will just partner with and ICE dealer/distribution network which will fail miserably. Every time I take one of my Dodge "Eco"-Diesels in for repair they have no clue what they are looking at or how to troubleshoot or repair. They just say I should have bought the Cummins.