Rim protection for Canadian Tesla owners

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PiperPaul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After seeing the post by @EVANNEX about DIY rim protection I bought a kit from Enannex which arrived today. It's very complete and I'm looking forward to installing it particularly to cover some minor rashes, and protect my wheel rims since the tires won't.

However, I've now discovered that I should have bought the kit directly from the supplier https://wheelbands.com.
Because:
  • although their price is $10 US higher they offer free shipping to Canada. Evannex charged me $50 US for shipping
  • with an exchange rate of 0.74 my kit order became $222, plus $24 HST and $10 Canada Post Handling to collect the tax, for a total bill of $256 Cdn
  • if I had purchased the same kit from Wheelbands I would have saved $70
  • also, I was interested in a second colour choice for the inserts which I couldn't get from Evannex but could have from Wheelbands for only $9 US.
So if you are looking to protect your rims, and have sharp looking wheels - be wise. I'm open to receiving tips from your savings. :cool:

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. Wasn’t aware of rim protections. Not sure why, but it states it’s not supported on the 20” OEM wheels. Shame, as I’d like to get a set. Especially since I needed to swap one rim day one from curb rash my car had before I even picked it up.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure why, but it states it’s not supported on the 20” OEM wheels.
the kit likely only has enough length to cover the 19" diameter wheels. just find a set that covers the length needed for the 20s. no reason otherwise it wouldn't work on that wheel size.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the kit likely only has enough length to cover the 19" diameter wheels. just find a set that covers the length needed for the 20s. no reason otherwise it wouldn't work on that wheel size.
The product description states it's good for upto four 20" wheels. It actually has mostly the same description as the wheelbands site:
High precision fit Track and Color Insert coils are 27.2 ft (8.3 meter) in length: enough material to outfit up to four 20" wheels, or five 19" wheels or six 18" wheels. First time DIY installers can complete a set of 4 wheels in 40 - 60 minutes. Installers with a few kits of experience can complete a set of 4 wheels in 20-30 minutes.

Please note: Wheel Bands are universally compatible with Tesla's factory 18" with aero caps, 18" without aero caps, 19" sport wheels. They will NOT adhere properly to OEM Tesla 20-inch performance rims.

Description from wheelbands.com:
High precision fit Track and Color Insert coils are 27.2 ft (8.3 meter) in length: enough material to outfit up to four 22" wheels, or five 19" wheels or six 16" wheels. First time DIY installers can complete a set of 4 wheels in 40 - 60 minutes. Installers with a few kits of experience can complete a set of 4 wheels in 20-30 minutes.

So the question is what additional testing did evannex do on the 20" M3P wheels to find them unacceptable?

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't cite a source - I've seen reviews where someone said that even with the bands it is very easy to rash our rims. Thanks for the tip about direct shipping though!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have them on my Model X (thanks @EVANNEX) and while they *might* protect against light scrubbing they won't protect in all cases. I ran a curb on my car and when the wheel slid down the concrete.... well you know what happened. Cost me $250 to get the rim refinished

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
just bot the kit for $129USD and then used the code '30off' which brought it down to $99USD... ~$132Cdn.
shipping included.

this compares to $137.17USD (USPS shipping) = $181.62 Cdn from the other supplier that was mentioned.