Right side mirror glass stolen

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry about that. Some people... have no respect for other people’s properties.
I was going to buy a used one but side mirror seems delicate and I didn’t want to damage it while installing it. So I went with a new one from SC. Price wasn’t bad and I think they didn’t charge for installation.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
:mad:
Today I had my driver side mirror glass stolen!!

Same neighborhood, but different block. I intentionally chose a block with a whole lot of foot-traffic, as well as police patrols. These thieves must be incredibly brazen. I'm betting they kind of back up to the car like they're casually leaning against it.

Betting? But don't I have Sentry Mode videos?

Well, I did have Sentry Mode on. And it did note a bunch of events (no alarms). But it didn't record anything except for a few seconds of the final event (which was me coming up to the car). I'll scour the Sentry Mode threads to figure out the problem, but it's certainly disappointing. I'd at least like to have seen how it was done.

In the mean time, my passenger side mirror glass still isn't in at the service center. There's now both passenger side and driver side glass available on eBay. Just in case it's tricky to install or there's some problem with the seller, I'll only order the driver's side one for now and see how that goes.

And my road trip up to Montreal will be conducted with little blind spot stick on mirrors on both sides. :(

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
:mad:
Today I had my driver side mirror glass stolen!!

Same neighborhood, but different block. I intentionally chose a block with a whole lot of foot-traffic, as well as police patrols. These thieves must be incredibly brazen. I'm betting they kind of back up to the car like they're casually leaning against it.

Betting? But don't I have Sentry Mode videos?

Well, I did have Sentry Mode on. And it did note a bunch of events (no alarms). But it didn't record anything except for a few seconds of the final event (which was me coming up to the car). I'll scour the Sentry Mode threads to figure out the problem, but it's certainly disappointing. I'd at least like to have seen how it was done.

In the mean time, my passenger side mirror glass still isn't in at the service center. There's now both passenger side and driver side glass available on eBay. Just in case it's tricky to install or there's some problem with the seller, I'll only order the driver's side one for now and see how that goes.

And my road trip up to Montreal will be conducted with little blind spot stick on mirrors on both sides. :(
do you have auto-fold on park turned off? I'd think it would be pretty difficult to get to the mirror glass with the mirrors folded in.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do you have auto-fold on park turned off? I'd think it would be pretty difficult to get to the mirror glass with the mirrors folded in.
Nope. Definitely auto-folds on park. These thieves are pros, or trained by pros. Some cops I ran in to shortly afterward told me they'd already had two previous reports of stolen mirror glass (not necessarily Teslas) just today.

By the way, for those of you wondering, this isn't a particularly dangerous or run-down neighborhood. In fact, if it was, you probably wouldn't have an outfit riding around looking for luxury cars to steal mirrors from. No public garages in the immediate area, though, so even pretty pricey cars end up parked on the street, which again explains why the neighborhood makes a good target...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope. Definitely auto-folds on park. These thieves are pros, or trained by pros. Some cops I ran in to shortly afterward told me they'd already had two previous reports of stolen mirror glass (not necessarily Teslas) just today.

By the way, for those of you wondering, this isn't a particularly dangerous or run-down neighborhood. In fact, if it was, you probably wouldn't have an outfit riding around looking for luxury cars to steal mirrors from. No public garages in the immediate area, though, so even pretty pricey cars end up parked on the street, which again explains why the neighborhood makes a good target...
I'd think they are taking these as a polite form of vandalism more than for any underground side mirror resell theft ring. can't imagine there is much market for mirrors, except for those that have had them stolen.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd think they are taking these as a polite form of vandalism more than for any underground side mirror resell theft ring. can't imagine there is much market for mirrors, except for those that have had them stolen.
That was my very first thought, but it's clearly for resale. They're doing it to all luxury cars, not just Teslas. And it's way too surgical to be some anti-rich protest...the wiring isn't cut, it's disconnected.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
can't imagine there is much market for mirrors, except for those that have had them stolen.
Bingo. Not only do they get product, but they also manage to increase demand for the product.
There's now both passenger side and driver side glass available on eBay.
You might be buying your own mirror. :oops:

They're stealing mirrors because they've discovered that it's quick and easy and doesn't attract as much attention as breaking a window.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might be buying your own mirror. :oops:
Yeah, I know. The seller has no reviews and has a sketchy user name. At least he or she has a wide variety of parts, so there's probably at least some legitimate salvage in there. But the mirror glass is indicated as "new" which I don't believe for a second--it's got to either be stolen or salvage from a damaged vehicle/mirror housing.

But until Tesla ramps up production, they've got me over a barrel.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I know. The seller has no reviews and has a sketchy user name. At least he or she has a wide variety of parts, so there's probably at least some legitimate salvage in there. But the mirror glass is indicated as "new" which I don't believe for a second--it's got to either be stolen or salvage from a damaged vehicle/mirror housing.

But until Tesla ramps up production, they've got me over a barrel.
See if he is local and you can just pick it up in person. Most police stations welcome the hand off of products purchased online to happen on their premises. See if he is willing to meet up at the local po po office.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
what about wreckers? there have been a few posts here about write-off cars, and there is a model three in my local craigslist being parted out at a wrecker in town.

no sketchiness and apparently the mirrors are a quick and easy removal process.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The replacement driver's side glass arrived from eBay. It is indeed from a New York City address, so the odds of it's being a stolen glass are pretty high.

But it was a snap to install. There was a larger jack that I attached, and then two smaller single-wire jacks that looked identical. Since they looked identical and had no distinguishing markings, I assumed it didn't matter which was which--hopefully that's the case! I then stuck the one long tab on the mirror in to what seemed to be the appropriate hole and everything seems good!

Tesla mobile service also finally texted, although I haven't called them back yet, because I also just got a big crack in the moon-roof from where a big-rig kicked up a pebble, and I want my insurance company to resolve that claim first so I can talk to Tesla mobile service about both at the same time.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sigh, what a pain. replacement mirror glass <- I did not look enough to see what folks like these charge but somehow it feels better than paying the original thief? :(

Edit: cost seems ok but that particular vendor doesn't have Tesla glass yet..

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since I replaced my mirrors, I have a left and a right heated available if anyone i interested. PM me if so.

Tom Hudson

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Last week my wife was driving on the highway when a piece of 2x2 or something similar fell off a truck and bounced off the passenger-side mirror. The impact popped the glass off its mounting, and it was dangling from two wires, one soldered at the top and the other at the bottom of the glass. Her passenger rolled down the window and grabbed the mirror to stop it from banging into the car. When she got home, I reconnected the two identical connectors and popped the mirror back on. I'm wondering... why did ours have the soldered wires and no connector? This is a June 2018 Model 3.