Right elbow discomfort when holding the steering wheel

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone,

I had my model 3 for around 3 months now and I have been noticing a lot of discomfort in my right elbow- almost immediately once I start driving. The discomfort arises when i hold the steering wheel traditionally at 9 pm and 3 pm (required for autopilot) and it only dissipates if i let my right arm rest on the center region and drive with my left hand only. I tried changing the wheel configurations but it never seems to work... should I adjust my seat? Is the wheel too deep or too close to me or maybe its just that the wheel is too low or too high? However, my left arm is fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone,

I had my model 3 for around 3 months now and I have been noticing a lot of discomfort in my right elbow- almost immediately once I start driving. The discomfort arises when i hold the steering wheel traditionally at 9 pm and 3 pm (required for autopilot) and it only dissipates if i let my right arm rest on the center region and drive with my left hand only. I tried changing the wheel configurations but it never seems to work... should I adjust my seat? Is the wheel too deep or too close to me or maybe its just that the wheel is too low or too high? However, my left arm is fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Not knowing if you are anywhere near my age, I'm going to suggest this is a typical ache/pain from getting old. I have the exact same thing in both elbows that I mostly notice when driving (my non-tesla) but also after carrying grocery bags or other handled bags that are heavy. I think it is just tendons getting worn out

also, you can have your hands anywhere for AP, it doesn't need to be at 9/3, the wheel is looking for torsion against it, not pressure at any particular place, so in your previous car, if you held the wheel differently, try that.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I rest my left arm on my left knee and slightly tug on the wheel at 9 o’clock leaving my right arm resting on the arm rest when in autopilot.

Phillyasian

Country
Country
Why do you need your hands at 9 & 3? When I use Autosteer my hands are at 7 & 5which means my arms are basically resting on my thighs. No nag, no issues. I really don't understand why so many people are having problems with nags when using Autosteer. It's literally just slight tugs.

mishakim

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find if I rest my arms anywhere, armrest or thighs, I get nags. I need my arms to be unsupported to put enough torque on the wheel (that is, to do it unconsciously). That gets to be fatiguing, so I alternate which one is supported and how. In terms of elbow pain, I used to get that on previous cars when driving one-handed and using the arm rest as a pivot point for my elbow. Haven’t had that experience with the Tesla.

While we’re on ergonomics, I also haven’t found a good place for my right foot while on autopilot. Hovering over the pedal is fatiguing, but the transition in the floor pan down to the pedals makes it awkward to rest my foot on the floor

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Enginerd

Country
Country
I rest my left arm on my left knee and slightly tug on the wheel at 9 o’clock leaving my right arm resting on the arm rest when in autopilot.
I might try that. Like the OP, sometimes there's a little too much pressure on the point of my elbow, in what seems like the proper EAP posture. I might also try moving the steering wheel back a little to get more of my elbow on the center arm rest.

artsci

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Not knowing if you are anywhere near my age, I'm going to suggest this is a typical ache/pain from getting old. I have the exact same thing in both elbows that I mostly notice when driving (my non-tesla) but also after carrying grocery bags or other handled bags that are heavy. I think it is just tendons getting worn out

also, you can have your hands anywhere for AP, it doesn't need to be at 9/3, the wheel is looking for torsion against it, not pressure at any particular place, so in your previous car, if you held the wheel differently, try that.
Yes, could be arthritis. Sure sounds like that kind of issue -- at my age I should know:)