Reservation Policy (priority order)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made a reservation for Model 3 on April 2 2016 with a $1,000 deposit. The Tesla commitment that was widely published was reservations would be allotted based on the date of order (among other parameters). I have received notice of able to configure at the same time that configuration was open to anyone and everyone. I feel as though the Tesla commitment was in bad faith and my $1,000 which has been held by Tesla for over 2 years and has been kept by Tesla in bad faith.

(Mod edit: title update to something not so clickbait)

Last edited by a moderator:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made a reservation for Model 3 on April 2 2016 with a $1,000 deposit. The Tesla commitment that was widely published was reservations would be allotted based on the date of order (among other parameters). I have received notice of able to configure at the same time that configuration was open to anyone and everyone. I feel as though the Tesla commitment was in bad faith and my $1,000 which has been held by Tesla for over 2 years and has been kept by Tesla in bad faith.
Bad Faith - is double mindedness or double heartedness in duplicity, fraud, or deception. It may involve intentional deceit of others, or self-deception.

So, when you say Tesla did this in bad faith, do you think they were deceiving you from the start?

What if they still decide to fulfill orders based mostly (though not exclusively) on reservation date? If that's the case, then it doesn't matter that they open ordering to everybody on the same day, right? I'm not saying that this is their plan, but it's a possibility.

Corey

Country
Country
I can understand the frustration. The only thing I can say is you can get your reservation deposit back if your that unhappy. Also, your signature indicates you want the SR battery, which is still not an available option. So the recent invites really did not effect your position.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What if they still decide to fulfill orders based mostly (though not exclusively) on reservation date? If that's the case, then it doesn't matter that they open ordering to everybody on the same day, right? I'm not saying that this is their plan, but it's a possibility.
which is exactly what I've heard people have confirmed is happening with all the invites that went out on june 27 and orders placed. they are still prioritizing deliveries by reservation date (within each build type).

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As an April 2nd reservation, you are well down on the list. I don't expect day 1 reservations to be completed for a few months, then Day 2, then you.

Second, just because Tesla opened EVERYONE to configure doesn't mean that you aren't in your priority spot on the list. If you have read this list, then you should see that everyone has the same delivery timeframe now. And that some folks with that exact delivery time are already getting their cars. So just because configurations are open doesn't mean anything.

Since you seem to be waiting for a standard range vehicle, you have ended up putting yourself near the end of the pack, so as has been known for awhile, you won't be getting your vehicle until next year. Sorry that probably means that you will be at the 50% Tax Credit stage, but you knew that when you signed up. By Day 2, the number were too high.

Think about the Day 1 Standard Range folks. They are the ones that I do feel a little sorry for.

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well.... I can understand the complete disappointment in the process.....

I put my money down on 4/28/16 as a Non-Owner/Online order.

As I had heard through the forum that the gates were opening up on 6/27.... I was ready to configure as soon as it opened... Which I did... Didn't wait for an email, I just kept checking and I got lucky... I had my order in about 5 minutes after it opened....

That being said, I was seeing allot of people with the identical configuration that reserved years after I did, getting VINs...

I was not happy..... But, I did end up in the lucky batch 2 days later and the car arrives 7/12...

I don't see anyway that Tesla is honoring the reservation list for those who were there on day one or even in the first year.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...I was seeing allot of people with the identical configuration that reserved years after I did, getting VINs...
Wait... years after? o_O

I hadn't heard of that. Were these people previous Tesla owners? Do you have a link showing one of these people?

Jayc

Country
Country
At least you are days away. How frustrated should we be then?

Cheer up mate. Be happy your car is likely to be better debugged i.e will have less faults. And I'm hoping in another 18 months when my car finally arrives , it will be as reliable as the best examples out there.

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait... years after? o_O

I hadn't heard of that. Were these people previous Tesla owners? Do you have a link showing one of these people?

You can find some in the different Delivery threads here....

Recently saw one that had configured the same as mine and his reservation date was 4/18.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
So let me get this straight.
Tesla is being accused of deceptive practices because you didn’t get priority to confirm your order, or that they gave a whole bunch of people the same priority as you ?

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think many folks would agree that the way the whole reservation thing has played out has been a little less than stellar. To say in ‘bad faith’ would really be a stretch. Some of it is exacerbated by folks that reserved well after the initial couple days getting their car sooner simply because the options they chose matched up quicker with a car on its way to where they happen to be. In the end, hopefully the Model Y rollout will be a bit smoother, but for the most part it really hasn’t been that bad all things considered. I’m hoping to have my car in the next few days/weeks and I won’t remember any of this stuff.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will say that the sooner Elon comes clean about when the 200,000th US delivery happened, the sooner this malarkey will end. I hope he cracks the nuts of some shorts, and I don't give a darn about TLSA. Starting to be a very annoyed penguin.

Or TSLA. :)

Dl6684

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Well.... I can understand the complete disappointment in the process.....

As I had heard through the forum that the gates were opening up on 6/27.... I was ready to configure as soon as it opened... Which I did... Didn't wait for an email, I just kept checking and I got lucky... I had my order in about 5 minutes after it opened....

That being said, I was seeing allot of people with the identical configuration that reserved years after I did, getting VINs...

I was not happy..... But, I did end up in the lucky batch 2 days later and the car arrives 7/12...

I don't see anyway that Tesla is honoring the reservation list for those who were there on day one or even in the first year.
The other thing to remember is your location (west coast vs east coast vs Canada).

choney22

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Not to stoke the fires, but I reserved April 2017 (non-owner), and am picking up my vehicle on Friday.
What is your configuration? If you have RWD I'm not surprised you have a delivery date, if it's AWD I'd be more surprised but also pleased since I reserved August 2017 (non-owner) and configured an AWD

choney22

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I am curious about the following and haven't been able to find a quick answer. I know priority is given to earlier reservation holders and that cars are made in batches. Assuming two people ordered the same car, one was a late 2016 reservation holder who configured end of July 2018, and one is a 2017 reservation holder who configured June/July 2018. Would delivery occur to the person who configured later since they had an earlier reservation, or would delivery go to the person who configured earlier even though they reserved later? I'm guessing it's the former but haven't found a concrete answer.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am curious about the following and haven't been able to find a quick answer. I know priority is given to earlier reservation holders and that cars are made in batches. Assuming two people ordered the same car, one was a late 2016 reservation holder who configured end of July 2018, and one is a 2017 reservation holder who configured June/July 2018. Would delivery occur to the person who configured later since they had an earlier reservation, or would delivery go to the person who configured earlier even though they reserved later? I'm guessing it's the former but haven't found a concrete answer.
I'd guess it'd go to the earlier reservation holder who paid in 2+ years ago, even if they officially got their order in a week after the recent reservation.

Teslar

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
check this one out
Performance Model 3 VINs
At the risk of pissing off some much earlier reservation and order holders I’ll post my info so far.
No reservation, non prior owner, Houston, TX
Model 3 Performance, White, EAP, FSD, Black Interior, 18” Wheels
Ordered 7/12/18
Loan Info & Trade-in Self Assessment Unlocked 7/30/18
ISA First Contact 7/31/18
Loan & Trade-in Info Submitted 8/1/18
Trade-in Approved & “Drafting Up Contract” on Website 8/2/18

Waiting for final MVPA to show up to finish payment before they will ship the car to TX. Might have a VIN but none has been communicated to me yet. Email says delivery will be 14 days after purchase is funded. Here’s hoping I don’t get stuck in contract limbo like a lot of Texas folks seem to be.
its probably a logistics nightmare for Tesla but this has to deal this better. I know folks are patient out here and giving tesla a break with this behavior as there is no real competition. I hope one day there is

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would guess the person who, based on location and delivery factors (slow train vs. fast truck, etc.), happens to be "closest." If they live in the same town, the person whose schedule permits them to take an earlier delivery appointment. If they live in the same town and have identical schedules, they get delivered at exactly the same moment. But who really knows?